Sign in with
Your question

Need help in choosing motherboard

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2012 2:49:32 PM

which of the two following motherboards is best for i7 2700k and why?

asus p8z68 v pro
or
asus maximus IV gene z

(please dont recommend any other mobo or processor)

More about : choosing motherboard

a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2012 11:21:05 PM

It really depends on a lot of things, but the rule of thumb that I usually go by is to only get a Maximus if you have a micro case and if you have to have more than one video card installed.

I would go with the other one unless both of those things are true.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2012 11:47:02 PM

Thanks for including that little part about "Don't recommend any other parts", people tend to do that alot round here, as for motherboard, like Raiddinn said, if you want multiple cards like 3 way SLI/Crossfire and sound card and a bigger board for your case the p8 is what your gonna want. But the Maximum gene will serve just fine. I my self have a full tower case and have considered this board for my next build , besides the fact that it wouldn't look right in my case
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 27, 2012 2:07:32 PM

Most people recommend other parts because it is a good idea for the OP to use other parts, just sayin.
m
l
March 7, 2012 1:10:44 AM

The Maximus is a killer board and has a couple of features that the other board lacks. One being ROG connect. you can hook a laptop or other desktop pc to a usb port on the back io panel and (in game) adjust tweaks on your ram and processor settings as well as your gpu clocks. It is really cool if that sort of thing interests you.

It is a very stable board and now has the gen3 capability available. I would suggest no other micro atx above it , and it is every bit as good as the other full sized board you mentioned.
I will give you a link to a build on ebay built by a guy who built my pc, for the purpose of seeing the board in a build and he has put in pics of 3dmark test score results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220967630124?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

He built me a system almost exactly like it that I play BF3 on ultimate settings on a 20" widescreen with a 550 ti just like the one in his ebay add. Ultimate settings with 550ti!!! if you are using a 23" screen, you might want a 560 ti and if a little bigger , maybe a 570 .. The new 7950 amd cards are overkill unless you want to play on a giant screen.
I would go with 1 560 ti or radeon equivelent to start with and if you decide you want more then sli or crossfire with a second. I cant imagine wasting my money on anything larger when there are no games that you wont be able to play with that set-up. There are not even any games in the working that would require more than that unless you are using two or three monitors or a giant screen.

Also, I have spent 4 yrs as a computer science major and just 4 months ago we disected psu's in our classroom. Raidmax brand was used for the cheaper price.
Specificly the model RX-630SS. Raidmax has not always had a good rep.,but out of 33 of these psu's, not one of them had any malfunction and each and every one of them performed at 82-84% efficiency. 3 of the units were dissasembled and the components searched and found to be as high of high quality . The remaining thirty units were used by the class to build 30 pc's. All performed well under stress and 1 was left running prime 95 for 4 days straight and while temps and power was monitored from each rail, with very little fluctuation.
My point is, that you can't always hold the little dog back, and sometimes he may outdo the big dogs. In this case he outdid them with price. :whistle: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2012 5:02:15 AM

The Raidmax RX-630SS you mentioned does better on price than equal wattage units because it doesn't compete with same wattage units.

The 12v on the Raidmax gives out 432w. That puts it in competition with Seasonic 450ws, not Seasonic 650ws.

The XFX 450w is $38 after rebate and gives off 408w on the 12vs. The raidmax is $54 and gives out 432w on the 12vs. That is about $1 a watt for the overage. Considering good PSUs cost $1 per 10w, you are paying out the yin-yang (10x regular rates) for that overage.

Sounds like you are getting ripped off by going with Raidmax to me.

Also, it is dishonest to talk about performing well under stress without also supplying a parts list so people can determine what stress even means.

If your test PCs are only pulling 300w from the PSU when it is "under stress" then yes even the Raidmax 630w can probably handle that draw sustained.

My point is, you get what you pay for. When you pay for a 450w PSU, that is probably what you get, regardless what it says on the label.

Your argument is like saying, "I know my 6850 doesn't perform the same as your 6950, but it outdoes the 6950 on price!".

My XFX 650w can do more like 815w for $60 after rebates. Should I even bother comparing this vs the Raidmax that costs $6 less and gives about half the wattage?

Just... don't try to save money on PSUs. It really isn't worth it.
m
l
March 7, 2012 6:10:58 AM

Raiddinn said:
The Raidmax RX-630SS you mentioned does better on price than equal wattage units because it doesn't compete with same wattage units.

The 12v on the Raidmax gives out 432w. That puts it in competition with Seasonic 450ws, not Seasonic 650ws.

The XFX 450w is $38 after rebate and gives off 408w on the 12vs. The raidmax is $54 and gives out 432w on the 12vs. That is about $1 a watt for the overage. Considering good PSUs cost $1 per 10w, you are paying out the yin-yang (10x regular rates) for that overage.

Sounds like you are getting ripped off by going with Raidmax to me.

Also, it is dishonest to talk about performing well under stress without also supplying a parts list so people can determine what stress even means.

If your test PCs are only pulling 300w from the PSU when it is "under stress" then yes even the Raidmax 630w can probably handle that draw sustained.

My point is, you get what you pay for. When you pay for a 450w PSU, that is probably what you get, regardless what it says on the label.

Your argument is like saying, "I know my 6850 doesn't perform the same as your 6950, but it outdoes the 6950 on price!".

My XFX 650w can do more like 815w for $60 after rebates. Should I even bother comparing this vs the Raidmax that costs $6 less and gives about half the wattage?

Just... don't try to save money on PSUs. It really isn't worth it.

You really shouldn't believe everything you read. No offence and I really don't want to argue with you but all 33 of the psu's tested supplied between 610 to 640 total watts of power. I find it hard to believe that that was a fluke.
Not even one of them tested like you seem to think about them.

It is hard to say what each of the systems contained as they varied from amd to intel phenom II to i3 and i5 processors. The one that was tested for 4 days straight on prime 95 had an asus z68 mobo with i5 2500k oc'd to 4.3g and two radeon 6750 in crossfire both oc'd as well but Im not sure where he had them set. there was 8g 1600 ram but again I don't know the timings he had set, and I don't even remember what cpu cooler he had in it! I do remember that the monitor we had set for the power usage varied between 510 to 580 amps up and down through the whole of the 4 days. Even the lowest surge was more than you said the psu could even supply.
Sorry, I am sure you didn't like hearing those facts. But there is no sence in pretending!!!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2012 12:15:22 PM

I don't believe everything I read, actually, especially not what you are saying. It reeks of dishonest testing at a bare minimum.

The 6750s have a non-OCd power draw tested to be 86w. Two of those is about 170. I doubt you would be able to get double that without frying the cards no matter how much you OCd it.

Recorded testing from an upstanding website that actually records things showed a full system with an OCd 6750 using 273w, add the second maybe 170 and you are at about 440. That was on an i7-965 which is much more power inefficient than a 2500k is. Even with those lofty estimates it is hard to see how you could get 200w more.

My guess is that the power consumption was being measured at the wall. Is it true?

Normally, I would say to check with the upstanding websites who test these things professionally for a living for this sort of information, but PSU makers with something to hide (like Raidmax) don't always send their models out to be tested by these websites. This is one of those cases.

In any event, having been in the computer hardware game for 7 years now I have seen many dozens of PSUs fail and quite a large percentage of them had Raidmax written on them.

There is a reason none of the people in here with the highest rankings will advise people to go get Raidmax PSUs and it isn't because they are a super good deal and we want the people coming in here to avoid super good deals.

It is more like because people should be able to get 95% of their labeled wattage from the 12v rail (I can with my XFX 650w) and that just doesn't happen with PSUs like your Raidmax 630.

Even if it could get every ounce of that 22a on both 12vs that would be a fair wattage of 550w at the most.
m
l
!