UPS Comparison/Recommendation

TallKewlOne

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
I would like to purchase a UPS for my home PC. I am leaning towards a UPS BR1500G. My computer has a 950W PS, I would like to also plug in preipherals. One thing that is important is noise. I have my computer in my bedroom so I would like it fairly quiet. Thanks for your thoughts.

Solution
The APC 1500 is a fine choice. I have one, and in normal operation it is totally silent.
If you do have a power failure, you may get an audible alarm. You can disable the alarm for different times of day.

APC has a free app called powerchute that can monitor your usage, do testing and set up thresholds.

Even though you have a 950w psu, it is unlikely that you will ever come near that power draw. The app will tell you how close you actually do come.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
A good UPS should be almost silent in normal operation. A 50/60Hz hum is common but any fans should only kick on when the UPS goes on battery power which means something has gone wrong with your electric service.
The best way to determine what size UPS you need is to actually measure the power consumption of the PC and peripherals you want to run on battery power. There are inexpensive devices you plug in between your appliances and the wall socket that will accurately measure power consumption. Kill-A-Watt is the best known but almost any of them will provide an accurate enough measurement for your needs.

The APC 1500 is a fine choice. I have one, and in normal operation it is totally silent.
If you do have a power failure, you may get an audible alarm. You can disable the alarm for different times of day.

APC has a free app called powerchute that can monitor your usage, do testing and set up thresholds.

Even though you have a 950w psu, it is unlikely that you will ever come near that power draw. The app will tell you how close you actually do come.

Solution