AMD Phenom II x4 965
Asus M4A79X TD Evo
8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600
2x Radeon 5770 crossfire
64 gb Crucial SSD
500 GB Seagate HD
Corsair GS800 PSU

Anyway this is the history....

I built this PC May 2011, It started off fine and off I went with marathons of WoW between school years. Then out of nowhere sometime around the new year my PC would turn on, but not activate the monitor. After rounds and rounds of testing I switched out a 500 Watt BFG PSU for this Corsair one. Problem solved. So from ~february till about 2 weeks ago there were absolutely no problems. When D3 came out, I was able to play wayyy to much with no issues. Then, again, out of nowhere I started getting random restarts and freezes both while playing and during other things. They would happen very sporadically without warning. Now, this morning I tried to turn on the PC and the monitor wouldn't activate. After a WTF is going on moment, I turned it off, gave it a jedi mind stare, and tried again. It still didn't work. However... Now the GPU Fans spin at Max, loudest I have ever heard before, monitor won't activate, there is even a slight flicker in all the LEDs in my rig(CPU cooler, PSU, LED tubes, 3 fans) and here I sit.

It has to be the PSU.....right?

thanks!

Solution

If it's not the PSU, it's the mobo.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
If you're running two 5770's with only 500w then you are under powered and will keep cooking you PSU. You should be at least 650w bronze 80 min. You may want to pray to the PC Gods that you didn't fry your Mobo in the process.

Corsair is a solid psu, and 800w should be enough. I doubt that is the cause.

Try running with just one graphics card and see if you do better.

Also, check for dust clogging up the cooler on the graphics cards.

If you want, $20 will buy you a basic psu tester.

wolverine4545

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I am starting to doubt it is the PSU as well.

running only one GPU does not solve anything, the same problem persists...all the lights turn on, fans move at max speed, but no boot/activating monitor

any suggestions? I do not have any replacement parts to switch out pieces.

If it's not the PSU, it's the mobo.

Solution

wolverine4545

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
ok, thanks for the quick reply.

Question.

For some reason I cannot take out one screw in the mobo. it is like it is warped on the back end and is now too big to come out of the case or something. Does that make sense? Thoughts on how to get it off??

thanks

wolverine4545

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
it seems that no matter how much torque i get it just keeps spinning and spinning. it looks as though I'm trying to get a nickel through a hole the size of a dime. the end of the screw is warped or something, doesn't make sense how that happened!