Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Any suggestions for this configuration ?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 26, 2012 3:49:07 PM

Hey guys,
I want to get a new desktop but I'm not really experienced with the hardware part, so I guess I will need ur help :)  .
Now I'm thinking of is something like this:


Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, Z68, DDR3, 3x PCIExp, Socket 1155, CrossFireX & SLI
CPU: INTEL i5 2500K 3.30 GHz Quad Core Socket 1155 6MB, 32nm, 95W
GPU : ZOTAC GTX 580, 1536 MB, PCIExp, Direct X11, GDDR5, 384 bit, 772/4008
RAM: KINGSTON 16 GB (4X 4GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM CL9 HYPERX
HARD DISK: WESTERN DIGITAL 1 TB SATA III HDD 64MB Caviar Black 6GB/s WD1002FAEX
Case: COOLER MASTER CM 690 II
Power supply: SEASONIC X-850 850W 80Plus

So I want to overclock the CPU to something like 4,00-4,4Ghz. (I think these can be oc'ed up to 4,4?). Would the power supply be enough for this configuration, and would I need anything else for cooling the CPU??
And the last question is, do u think GTX 580 is worth instead of a GTX 570? (Price difference is about 120$)
February 26, 2012 4:11:43 PM

very good motherboard

perfect cpu for gaming

seasonic--great psu maker--850w is far more than you need

the 2500k can go as high as 5ghz depending on the chip--anything over 4.2ghz or so i would say

get an aftermarket cooler

coolermaster hyper 212 + is common choice--good but not expensive

just make sure your ram will fit under it if ram has big heatsinks

i went gtx570 and overclocked it--to me the extra for the gtx580 wasnt worth it
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 4:35:31 PM

Thanks for replying,
would you say the 850w is too much, 750w be sufficient?
I was going between i5 2500k and i7 2700k but I'm not sure if that 140$ is worth the 200 Mhz..
m
0
l
Related resources
Anonymous
February 26, 2012 4:41:14 PM

raoska said:
Thanks for replying,
would you say the 850w is too much, 750w be sufficient?
I was going between i5 2500k and i7 2700k but I'm not sure if that 140$ is worth the 200 Mhz..


750W from someone as reputable as seasonic is more than sufficient for your stated specs.

it is not so much the total wattage as much as how many amp are on the 12 volt rail (connections) that drive your mother board/cpu and graphics card(s)
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 4:55:27 PM

2500k is the way to go unless you need hyperthreading for rendering etc

seasonic not going to have any problems with the amps on the 12v rails they are a class

manufacturer

750w would still be more than you need but leave some future proofing

i am running

2600k at 5ghz

570gtx overclocked

h80 cooler and radiator in push pull

4 hard drives

running my cctv

and loads more from a corsair 750w

seasonic are just as good a make as corsair so no issues with a 750w
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 5:15:02 PM

Thank u for helping guys :) ..
Another option for the GPU would be an HD 7950. I'm not sure whether that would make a big difference, what do u think?
In that case, this would be the other option, which would make the whole setup 150 $ cheaper:
COOLER MASTER CM 690 II (RC 692) Advance High Power B12S 750W

Btw is there a need for an SSD at all?
m
0
l

Best solution

February 26, 2012 5:26:53 PM

given the choice of gtx 570 or gtx580 or amd 7950 i would take the 7950

ssd is expensive but makes a really big difference

you just need to use a few tweaks to get all the space available--lower pagefile --delete

hyberfil.sys etc

i have a 120gb ssd and even with large games and stuff still have 60gb free

heres the 7950 against the gtx580


http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1392/pg1/sapphire...
Share
February 26, 2012 5:52:39 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 6:00:23 PM

raoska said:
Hey guys,
I want to get a new desktop but I'm not really experienced with the hardware part, so I guess I will need ur help :)  .
Now I'm thinking of is something like this:


Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, Z68, DDR3, 3x PCIExp, Socket 1155, CrossFireX & SLI
CPU: INTEL i5 2500K 3.30 GHz Quad Core Socket 1155 6MB, 32nm, 95W
GPU : ZOTAC GTX 580, 1536 MB, PCIExp, Direct X11, GDDR5, 384 bit, 772/4008
RAM: KINGSTON 16 GB (4X 4GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM CL9 HYPERX
HARD DISK: WESTERN DIGITAL 1 TB SATA III HDD 64MB Caviar Black 6GB/s WD1002FAEX
Case: COOLER MASTER CM 690 II
Power supply: SEASONIC X-850 850W 80Plus

So I want to overclock the CPU to something like 4,00-4,4Ghz. (I think these can be oc'ed up to 4,4?). Would the power supply be enough for this configuration, and would I need anything else for cooling the CPU??
And the last question is, do u think GTX 580 is worth instead of a GTX 570? (Price difference is about 120$)

If this is for gaming, you don't need 16gb RAM or Quad-channel kits. Save yourself half and get 2 x 4gb ram from g.skill or corsair (make sure it is low profile).

With the Hyper 212 EVO, you can go up to 4.5 GHz. With the Noctua D14, you can go up to 5 GHz.

For one GPU, you do not need 850W. If you ever plan to SLI the 580 even, 850W will be cutting it close, since the GTX 580 uses alot of power. I recommend atleast 1000W for 2 580s.

As for if the 580 is worth it, that really depends on what games you play and at what settings. With that being said, what games are you going to play on this PC?
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 6:18:00 PM

Quote:
get 2 x 4gb ram from g.skill or corsair (make sure it is low profile).

Would this do it? -> CORSAIR 8 GB (2X 4GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM CL9 VENGEANCE Low Profile (1.5 Volt)

Quote:
For one GPU, you do not need 850W.

I guess the 7950 appeals more to me at the moment, so I'll probably get a single 7950 instead. So 750w would do it as well then..
I play pretty much everything :)  so the GPU is really the most important thing for me.
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 6:27:01 PM

Thank you for everyone who helped here!
Just one last question: Do u guys think the motherboard is "too good" for this setup? Should I get something cheaper instead? Or is this just good..?
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 6:30:38 PM

raoska said:
Hey guys,
I want to get a new desktop but I'm not really experienced with the hardware part, so I guess I will need ur help :)  .
Now I'm thinking of is something like this:


Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, Z68, DDR3, 3x PCIExp, Socket 1155, CrossFireX & SLI
CPU: INTEL i5 2500K 3.30 GHz Quad Core Socket 1155 6MB, 32nm, 95W
GPU : ZOTAC GTX 580, 1536 MB, PCIExp, Direct X11, GDDR5, 384 bit, 772/4008
RAM: KINGSTON 16 GB (4X 4GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM CL9 HYPERX
HARD DISK: WESTERN DIGITAL 1 TB SATA III HDD 64MB Caviar Black 6GB/s WD1002FAEX
Case: COOLER MASTER CM 690 II
Power supply: SEASONIC X-850 850W 80Plus

So I want to overclock the CPU to something like 4,00-4,4Ghz. (I think these can be oc'ed up to 4,4?). Would the power supply be enough for this configuration, and would I need anything else for cooling the CPU??
And the last question is, do u think GTX 580 is worth instead of a GTX 570? (Price difference is about 120$)

950+w psu if you have plans on running dual 580's, and a 620+w psu if you don't.

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO1050W-Compatible-Certified... $215.78 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
XFX PRO1050W Black Edition Full Modular 80PLUS Gold PSU Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Phenom, FX ATX 1050 Energy Star Certified Power Supply P11050BEFX
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 6:49:15 PM

raoska said:
Thank you for everyone who helped here!
Just one last question: Do u guys think the motherboard is "too good" for this setup? Should I get something cheaper instead? Or is this just good..?


would stick with that board

i am using the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 so think you made a good choice there
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 6:50:09 PM

raoska said:
Quote:
get 2 x 4gb ram from g.skill or corsair (make sure it is low profile).

Would this do it? -> CORSAIR 8 GB (2X 4GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM CL9 VENGEANCE Low Profile (1.5 Volt)

Quote:
For one GPU, you do not need 850W.

I guess the 7950 appeals more to me at the moment, so I'll probably get a single 7950 instead. So 750w would do it as well then..
I play pretty much everything :)  so the GPU is really the most important thing for me.

Yes, that is great RAM. With the 7950, in the long run, when you want to add another one in for Crossfire, you will save $ because you won't need some expensive 1000W PSU. Besides, the Radeon 7950 even beats the 580 in a lot of tests, moreso than not. It will also run much cooler and not overheat. Yes, 750-850W PSU will be perfect for two 7950s.
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 7:22:00 PM

azeem40 said:
Yes, that is great RAM. With the 7950, in the long run, when you want to add another one in for Crossfire, you will save $ because you won't need some expensive 1000W PSU. Besides, the Radeon 7950 even beats the 580 in a lot of tests, moreso than not. It will also run much cooler and not overheat. Yes, 750-850W PSU will be perfect for two 7950s.

Thank you mate ;) 
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 7:27:29 PM

Well guys, thank you all again. I guess this is the last configuration in my mind:

CPU: INTEL i5 2500K 3.30 GHz Quad Core Socket 1155 6MB, 32nm, 95W

MB: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, Z68, DDR3, 3x PCIExp, Socket 1155, CrossFireX & SLI

RAM: CORSAIR 8 GB (2X 4GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ RAM CL9 VENGEANCE Low Profile (1.5 Volt) BC-CML8GX3M2A1600C9

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 1 TB SATA III HDD 64MB Caviar Black 6GB/s WD1002FAEX
CORSAIR 60GB Force GT SATA III 2.5'' 555MB/Sec 495MB/Sec Ssd Disk CSSD-F60GBGT-BK

GPU: Sapphire ATI HD7950 OC 3GB DDR5 384 Bit PCI Express

Case: COOLER MASTER CM 690 II (RC 692) Advance High Power B12S 750W

m
0
l
February 26, 2012 7:28:30 PM

Best answer selected by raoska.
m
0
l
!