Sign in with
Your question

I need a UPS for my laptop. Say again?

Last response: in Components
June 13, 2012 8:00:24 PM

Hello,
Greets to helpful souls:

DOES A LAPTOP NEED TO HAVE A UPS?

But folks,I think I may have an interesting problem to pose to you. :) 

I have a 3 year old laptop Compaq Presario C40 109-TU with the following specs:

• Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T32002.0GHz,1MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB
• Mobile Intel GL40 Express Chipset
• 1GB x 2 DDR2 SODIMM Memory
• 160GB 5400RPM Hard Disk Drive SATA
• Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
• SuperMulti 8X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
• Hispeed56K modem, Integrated 10/100 LAN
• 802.11b/g Wireless LAN and Bluetooth
• Integrated 5in1 digital memory reader.

But I have a couple of "unique" situations though --- that resulted in my using and treating this laptop as a DESKTOP PC.

First,the unit's monitor had busted up more than a year ago.Thus I have to use an external monitor which btw is middle to lower end (by today's standards) LG Flatron L1919s.

And second,my laptop battery had been steadily deteriorating.And at this point I get about ONLY A FEW MINUTES worth of use,sometimes less and sometimes it doesn't continue the boot process at all--it just sort of lights up and fades away.

(Another "unique" situation is that I'm next to clueless regarding VOLTS,WATTS,AMPHERES and what-not. :,))

Battery replacement is practically not an option.Its because of its age that I can't seem to find a sound seller in my country.But the real reason is that I can't afford it plain and simple even if I do chance upon it in this day and age.And anyway I had been using it plugged in more than a year now.

So my laptop is a desktop because mobility and power-storage capabalities had been taken away.

Which led me to the question I asked above.

To the meat of the matter.I've been thinking that

A) i'll just chuck the battery away and plug and power up directly via a UPS.Or
B) maybe its all the same that I still use laptop with its errant battery still installed and use UPS additionally.

Question 1: Is A or B or both good or bad technically speaking? Is there noan unacceptable level of danger of busted or burned circuits and anything else my non-technical head can't think of asking?

If you think its a bad idea technically,don't bother to go on to ---

Question 2: What
UPS specs and/or
Brand-model
are congruent with my unit based on its factory and "evolutionary" features I outlined above haha lolz.

Looking forward to the stuff from you folks.My deepest thanks.

More about : ups laptop

a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 8:21:04 PM

There's really no need for a UPS unless your mains supply suffers from brown outs or total power outages.
m
l
June 13, 2012 8:42:08 PM

hairystuff said:
There's really no need for a UPS unless your mains supply suffers from brown outs or total power outages.

wrong

there is no need to have a ups for a laptop

for a start most ups act as a pass through till the power goes out so any fluctuations in voltage can still fry electronics

unless you have one that runs perminantly off batteries and then uses the mains to keep battery topped up

for a laptop there isnt much point because the worst thing that can happen is the charging cable can get fried and they are pretty cheap to replace

(laptop chargers have voltage regulators in them because they lower the voltage to charge the batteries anway)

Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) - Some units combine surge protection with a continuous UPS. The basic design of a continuous UPS is to convert AC power to DC power and store it on a battery. The UPS then converts the battery's DC power back to AC power and runs it to the AC outlets for your electronics. If the power goes out, your computer will continue to run, feeding off the stored battery power. This will give you a few minutes to save your work and shut down your computer. The conversion process also gets rid of most of the line noise coming from the AC outlet. These units tend to cost $150 or more.

An ordinary UPS WILL give you a high level of protection, but you should still use a surge protector. A UPS will stop most surges from reaching your computer, but it will probably suffer severe damage itself. It's a good idea to use a basic surge protector, if just to save your UPS.

Once you've decided what level of surge protection you need, it's time to shop around for a good unit. In the next section, we'll find out what you should look for when considering different models.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2012 8:47:11 PM

+1
m
l
June 13, 2012 9:21:43 PM

hairystuff said:

Yes there is that too,brown outs and power outages.

But this situation has much less emphasis in my post.In fact it's unmentioned.And it goes without saying.

I did say ---"And second,my laptop battery had been steadily deteriorating.And at this point I get about ONLY A FEW MINUTES worth of use,sometimes less and sometimes it doesn't continue the boot process at all--it just sort of lights up and fades away."

So the point is
I can't use laptop because of battery dysfunction.IT DOESNT BOOT so it doesn't problematize losing info because of power outages.
And so do you think UPS is a viable solution? (Taking to consideration qualifiers like should the old battery be still plugged in or not? If the circuitry will suffer from some massive or gradual damage? etc)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2012 9:30:46 PM

can you run it with power but no battery? A usp will only ensure that the power feeding the power supply brick is constant.
m
l
June 13, 2012 9:35:16 PM

shanky887614 said:
wrong

there is no need to have a ups for a laptop
(Absolutely--for a fuly functional laptop.But I have unique difficulties that I outlined.Infact my laptop has now evolved virtually to a desktop :)  )

for a start most ups act as a pass through till the power goes out so any fluctuations in voltage can still fry electronics

for a laptop there isnt much point because the worst thing that can happen is the charging cable can get fried and they are pretty cheap to replace

(What is it really with the two preceeding paragraphs above? If I use UPS with my laptop could result in fried circuits or just fried charging cable?)

unless you have one that runs perminantly off batteries and then uses the mains to keep battery topped up
(I seem to have trouble getting this.Apologies. How does this work?Please give some more details,preferrably with drawing lol. I'm kidding.But please explain further)

(laptop chargers have voltage regulators in them because they lower the voltage to charge the batteries anway)

m
l
June 13, 2012 9:44:05 PM

the only fault with your laptop is a worn battery

a laptop battery is the same as a AA battery and can only be charged so many times before they start to become less effective

a ups wont help unless you plan to carry that and the charging cable around with you.

found this site here which sells them for £32

http://www.hp-laptop-batteries.co.uk/compaq-presario-cq...

or you can buy from hp

details here

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c0...
m
l
June 13, 2012 9:48:53 PM

13thmonkey said:
can you run it with power but no battery? A usp will only ensure that the power feeding the power supply brick is constant.

Yes I ran it a coupla times it with power but no battery.This was around the time that the unit doesn't boot at all. Since it's direct power (I assume ) it provided the necessary power for the unit to boot.But since direct power is prone to surges and fluctuations (again I assume from my limited understanding) and doesn't have the protection of power-regulation as in the case of a functional battery then,I was vulnerable to impromptu shutdowns when a surge or fluctuation comes.

I seem to have confirmed this when at one time, the house lights flickered,the laptop (plugged directly without battery) shut off a moment later.

I tried using AVR but with still the same dire results.

"A usp will only ensure that the power feeding the power supply brick is constant" --So does this mean its a viable method---direct plugging without the battery?)

m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 9:54:06 PM

Why not simply get a new laptop battery? Keep it charged and plugged in and your fine. And maybe let someone check your house's electricity. ;) 
m
l
June 13, 2012 9:56:17 PM

you need to make sure you get a continuous ups if it does that when lights flicker

have you not spoken to electrical supplier

power shouldnt fluctuate that much as it should be stable on street transformer
m
l
June 13, 2012 10:04:47 PM

shanky887614 said:
the only fault with your laptop is a worn battery

a laptop battery is the same as a AA battery and can only be charged so many times before they start to become less effective

a ups wont help unless you plan to carry that and the charging cable around with you.
(NO I DON't plan on carrying those around. ^_^ along with the external monitor and various cables.It's a desktop shanky! )

found this site here which sells them for £32
(Thanks for the effort chief appreciate the thouht but thats around a couple of thousand bucks where I come from, excluding courier.And I don't have credit card. And if I did it would have been empty. :) 

http://www.hp-laptop-batteries.co.uk/compaq-presario-cq...

or you can buy from hp

details here

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c0...

m
l
June 13, 2012 10:15:29 PM

shanky887614 said:
you need to make sure you get a continuous ups if it does that when lights flicker
Meat of the matter! ;)  What is a good brand of a "continuous ups?" Or better yet just give me specs on this one.Then I'll try to find its analogue in my locality.

have you not spoken to electrical supplier
Our eletricity problems is as fine as can be.It canot be solved with simply talking with the electrical supplier.I'll have to include the talking to to politicians meddling,poor infrastructure as well as to the numerous typhoons that regularly damage everythin including elecric infrastructure. As fine as can be :) 

power shouldnt fluctuate that much as it should be stable on street transformer

m
l
!