Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need some opinions on my first build

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 26, 2012 6:52:07 PM

This is my first experience building a rig and I am quite excited to be doing so. I have done some fairly extensive research and I think what I have come up with is pretty solid but since I am completely inexperienced I was hoping for some input. I want to make sure that I have everything fairly balanced in terms of power. I believe everything is compatible but if anything looks like it isn't, please let me know!

Here is what I am planning on using:

CPU: AMD Phenom II 960t x4
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6850
MOBO: ASUS M5A97
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1600Mhz
PSU: Rocketfish 900w modular (I got a really good deal on this. only reason I went with this brand)
Case: NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410


The main thing I am worried about is the GPU fitting that case. If anyone has had experience with that combination I would greatly appreciate some input.

Thanks everyone!

More about : opinions build

February 26, 2012 6:56:44 PM

Look at the width of the case and the length of the GPU. That's the way to see if the GPU will fit the case.
February 26, 2012 7:08:46 PM

If that's what you already have that build should be pretty decent. That GPU should fit in your case, if your case has a removable HD cage you can always take it (most cases made after 2009 do) out and it will fit perfectly fine. The Radeon 6850 is a good choice and Sapphire is one of the better brands on the market.

I'd also really look at that PSU before you buy it - and if you've already bought it you should look at returning it - PSUs are one area where you really do get what you pay for and getting the wrong one can have dangerous consequences down the road. Read this article about PSUs: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-re...

If you don't have the CPU yet I'd highly suggest taking a look at the Intel i3-2120.
Related resources
February 26, 2012 7:15:32 PM

Why modular? They are just more expensive. And you should get a different case. If you can an HEC 63RABB. If your lucky enough to find one. Lots of fan options, and I have a 9" card in it. Find a cheaper PSU, that is not modular. Max out ram if you can. What HDD/SSD are you using?
February 26, 2012 7:17:37 PM

And of course, everyone says intel. I use Athlon II X3s and they work just as well. AMD is just fine.
February 26, 2012 7:19:47 PM

ccbad said:
Why modular? They are just more expensive. And you should get a different case. If you can an HEC 63RABB. If your lucky enough to find one. Lots of fan options, and I have a 9" card in it. Find a cheaper PSU, that is not modular. Max out ram if you can. What HDD/SSD are you using?


I agree - I've never been a fan of modular PSUs and the one I was using was causing problems left and right. I chucked it for a non-modular PSU (the Corsair TX750) and have been problem free ever since.

But still don't go cheap in that area as it can have bad consequences. I don't really recommend HEC cases though - that's another low-tiered vendor, and I have used their cases in the past.
February 26, 2012 9:52:04 PM

The reason for the modular was the price more than anything. I paid 50$ on clearance for it. It is also 80 plus silver rated. I already have the PSU and the MoBo so I am kind of locked into an AMD CPU. I am recycling the hard drive out of my HP desktop. It's nothing fancy, but for the moment, that is a lot easier on the wallet than buying a new one.

@ccbad
What don't you like about the case? It has good reviews everywhere I have looked and has a lot of features for the price.
February 26, 2012 9:54:59 PM

Banjovial said:
The reason for the modular was the price more than anything. I paid 50$ on clearance for it. It is also 80 plus silver rated. I already have the PSU and the MoBo so I am kind of locked into an AMD CPU. I am recycling the hard drive out of my HP desktop. It's nothing fancy, but for the moment, that is a lot easier on the wallet than buying a new one.

@ccbad
What don't you like about the case? It has good reviews everywhere I have looked and has a lot of features for the price.


Well if it's 80+ silver I don't see anything wrong with it, I've just never heard of that brand before and I've had several bad PSUs - believe me. That's one area where if a deal sounds too good to be true it usually is and I've been really skeptical about the really cheap ones.

NZXT is an excellent case maker and very well respected in the market (love their high-end Phantom). I don't know why anyone would recommend a 4th or 5th tiered case vendor over them.

If you can reuse your HD definitely do so - with the shortages right now the prices are ridiculous. I want to get a 1TB for a backup drive and I'm waiting until the prices drop before I do.
February 26, 2012 11:21:01 PM

Rocketfish is the Best Buy store brand. Again, never would buy it if it wasn't such a great price.
I did have one question about the GPU fitting in the case. This is probably a pretty n00bish question so bear with me. I can fit the card into the case if I remove the hhd bracket. Will just one bracket come out so I can still fit more drives in, or is it the whole thing?
February 27, 2012 3:15:21 PM

Quote:
Rocketfish is the Best Buy store brand. Again, never would buy it if it wasn't such a great price.


Oh, I've never bought computer parts at Best Buy which is why I've never heard of it. :lol: 

Quote:
I did have one question about the GPU fitting in the case. This is probably a pretty n00bish question so bear with me. I can fit the card into the case if I remove the hhd bracket. Will just one bracket come out so I can still fit more drives in, or is it the whole thing?]


Most modern cases made after 2009 should have removable HD cages - and there should be at least two of them. You can remove the one in the middle - where the PCI-E x 16 slot should be on most motherboards - and be perfectly fine.
February 27, 2012 3:20:23 PM

Ok, cool. There is room for 9 drives in this case (I believe). Also, I broke down and bought a OCZ agility 60gb SSD from Newegg this morning. After the rebate it will only cost me $60 so I thought it would be a nice boost to my OS and boot speed.
!