Game causing week old system to crash

trevdar

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
While playing Witcher 2 everything will be going fine, temperatures completely stable and the like, when suddenly my screen will go black and I will no longer have input from DVI.

When I attempt to reset the system I get five short POST beeps. I just built my system less than a week ago and hadn't had any troubles up until now. I'm aware that the 5 short beeps means something along the lines of a process failure. I can do a hard shut-down and the system starts back up fine with the exception of not reading my wireless adapter which is easily remedied by unplugging/plugging it back in.

I guess my question would be if this is a hardware problem and if so which component specifically would I have to replace?

My build is:
Intel core-i5 2500k stock clock
CM Hyper 212 - Evo
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Corsair 750w enthusiast
2x4gb Corsair low-pro memory
Crucial m4 128 gb
Seagate green 1.5 tb

Thanks in advance for any help.

Man, I would gladly trade you my fully working computer for your poor performing one.

C'est la vie.

Anyway, it sounds like a heat problem to me.

What case are you using? How many fans? How are they oriented?

Try taking the side of the case off and blasting the internals with a regular AC oscillating fan while you are playing and see what happens.

trevdar

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I don't think it's heat related.

The case is a Cooler Master 912. I've only got three 120mm fans currently besides the Hyper 212's fan. One on the side blowing in, one in the front blowing in and one on the black blowing out. I will be adding one more to the front and two more on the top blowing out so if airflow is the problem that should fix it.

My temps currently never go above 36ºC on the CPU and 65-70ºC on the GPU while playing Witcher 2, which is around ten degrees warmer than on anything else.

I tried that 3 GB switch and will test it out tomorrow and let you know if it's still crashing.

Thanks for the responses.

The cooling system you have setup is definitely not the best theoretical way to do it.

Ideally you want equal or negative pressure (more out than in).

Additionally, the bottom front intake has little value in general. The coolest 3 fan setups are the ones with side intakes and top exhausts x2.

Maybe it isn't heat related, but it could have to do with it.

It could be a game specific thing too if the problem doesn't happen with other games as well.