Hardware related BSOD issue

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Blue Screen
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2012 8:22:36 PM

Hey community,

As I had no idea where to start this thread in terms of sub-sections and such, I decided to put it in the CPU section.

I'm having a problem with one of my computers booting into Windows. I have narrowed it down to a hardware issue mainly related to the CPU or the RAM. All of the other components have been tested in another computer to be sure they are working, and they are. I have checked 3 different GPU's, 2 different hard drives with 2 different versions of Windows, and a few optical drives.

The issue is, regardless of the hardware, there is a BSOD that occurrs, too quick to read, following the Windows loading screen before the login screen. The computer will flash the bluescreen, and restart itself.

I'm not sure what the issue is, and if you guys could help, that would be great.

The 2 OS's tried were XP Pro and Vista, the latter of which was freshly installed on the drive.

The GPU's attempted were an 8800GTX, 9600GSO, and 8600GT, all of which are working. I've also individually tried the RAM sticks in both of the channels, but I believe the problem may lie there.

Here are the specs of the computer:

AMD Athlon X2 4600+
ASUS A8M2N-LA
Wintec-AmpX DDR2 RAM (2x2GB)
BFG 8600GT
Fujitsu 250GB HDD, pulled from a working Toshiba laptop, and proven to work in my test computer
Dynex 520W PSU, might be this but I doubt it.
Windows Vista OS

Its a modified HP a1730n thats been through quite a few years of swapping parts, such as hard drives, and GPU's and other things.

I don't believe its a heat issue, as the CPU has a decent cooler, but I am open to exploring that issue.

Thanks guys,
-Gunner

More about : hardware related bsod issue

a c 913 à CPUs
June 14, 2012 2:03:55 AM

Have you looked over the motherboard for bulging capacitors, those boards are notorious for that, have one in the closet from family friend with 3 bad caps! Same symptoms.
m
l
a c 423 à CPUs
June 14, 2012 2:25:40 AM

And have you already tested your memory?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2012 6:53:25 PM

I'll look over the motherboard for the capacitors or any other problems for that matter. Its an old board anyway, I could just replace it.

And clutchc, I've heard of memtest, but I really don't know how to run it. Could you give me some advice?

m
l
a c 423 à CPUs
June 14, 2012 7:01:54 PM

Download the ISO file and it will burn a bootable CD from itself. Boot to that CD and the pgm will start automatically testing your memory. It's probably best to test each stick individually in the first slot as per your board. If it runs for one full pass and shows no errors, chances are the stick is OK. But some folks will run it for extended passes to be absolutlely sure.
http://www.memtest.org/

Win 7 also has its own memory check. Type windows memory diagnostic in the start/search box and it will show up.
m
l
!