Closed

Individual component surge protection

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Surge Protector
Last response: in Components
June 13, 2012 8:52:14 PM

Hi, Im building a new gameing rig and I bought a not very known (but not too cheap) brand cpu and their cheaper models had reviews about burning out or 'blowing up' so I was worried, not so much about the psu as im getting a replacement after the holidays but about whether it can fry my other components. My friends said that a normal external surge protector should stop the psu frying anything else if it goes but are they totally right or should I get internal surge protectors for all my components? and if so what is a good place to find them? Thanks

More about : individual component surge protection

a c 289 ) Power supply
June 13, 2012 9:24:46 PM

A surge suppressor is meant to stop high voltage spikes from getting past it and entering the computer, if your PSU fails it already has a ton of stored up energy inside of it that it can dump into what ever it would like. An external surge suppressor won't protect your components in the event of a power supply failure, and there are no internal surge suppressors that you can put on the individual wires to protect the individual components.

If you are worried enough about it to consider needing internal surge suppressors, perhaps its time to just go by a good PSU so you dont have to worry about it?
Score

Best solution

June 14, 2012 4:21:54 PM

Ye I thought I could buy another one but I wanna upgrade to a coolermaster silent pro gold later and they cost alot and i will only be able to buy one after the holidays so theres no point buying another one nw. plus there are internal surge suppressors because i found one for a gpu.
Related resources
a c 289 ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 9:36:44 PM

Interesting, do you have a link to it? Im curious how they rigged it up to get it to work.

Is this the one you found?
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?scriteria=BA31...

Looking at the specs, yes it is indeed a surge suppressor. An effective and useful surge suppressor? No, not at all. It won't stop any voltage spikes below 14.5 V which are still plenty high to cook your GPU, it also has a current limiter set at 19 A, a 6 pin PCI-e connector is meant to carry 6.25 A so that is awfully high.

The problem with an internal surge suppressor is that 2 volts extra is enough to seriously hurt computer components, but you can't make a surge suppressor to stop everything over 13 V as it will be stressed by normal operating conditions and will fail reasonably quickly. The surge suppressors in your house won't kick in until around 400 Vrms so that they don't get killed off during normal operation. For low voltage operation it is hard to make a surge suppressor with a tight enough range to stop all damaging spikes and a large enough margin to not unduly stress it with normal operation.
Score
June 16, 2012 1:14:34 PM

Best answer selected by CyberHawk.
Score
a b ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 11:29:10 PM

Best answer selected by Nikorr.
Score
a b ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 11:30:17 PM

The Best answer was changed for testing purposes.
Score
a b ) Power supply
August 6, 2012 11:30:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!