Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with finishing touches for new build...

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 26, 2012 10:19:26 PM

I've spent the last 2 weeks reseraching and have narrowed down all my components execpt for these last few and am looking for some expert advice. I have four questions that I would love some answers if possible.

I am going
Core i5-2500K (I'm doing this b/c its so cheap right now @ microcenter)
8gb 1333
XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Acer S220HQLAbd Black 21.5" 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1)

-----------------------------------
I am trying to pick between these two motherboards. I want to go with the cheaper one because I'm only going to have two drives. It there any difference besides the extra SATAs?
Gigabyte
GA-Z68AP-D3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard

Gigabyte
GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/search/compare_products.phtm...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to do a solid state drive I am between these two. I've heard the OCZ is much faster, but I've also heard the Crucial is more reliable. Anyone?

OCZ Technology
Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120 120GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive (SSD) with SandForce 2281 Controller

Crucial
m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Marvell Controller

http://www.microcenter.com/search/compare_products.phtm...

I also have a wd3200aajs that I was going to use as a seconday, is that going to bottle neck the SSD at all? I'm going to load almost everything I do/play on the SSD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What type of PSU should I go with? I was told I need 760, but I don't think I need that much

I'm not really looking to overclock or go crazy with anything.

Thanks so much for all the help!
February 27, 2012 4:52:26 PM

Quote:
I am trying to pick between these two motherboards. I want to go with the cheaper one because I'm only going to have two drives. It there any difference besides the extra SATAs?


I think that would all depend on what your future expansion plans are. If you don't really plan to SLI or add tons of drives, then go with the less expensive Gigabyte. I like the UD3H myself - it's an excellent board for the price.

Quote:
I want to do a solid state drive I am between these two. I've heard the OCZ is much faster, but I've also heard the Crucial is more reliable. Anyone?


The OCZ is faster but I'm not a fan of their support and RMA department - trying to RMA something from them is incredibly difficult - I've had to RMA RAM modules from them and that process was not easy at all.

The Crucial M4 is an excellent choice - I use the 64GB model and it's been completely problem free since I got it.

Quote:
I also have a wd3200aajs that I was going to use as a seconday, is that going to bottle neck the SSD at all? I'm going to load almost everything I do/play on the SSD


Not at all - SSDs are not bottlenecked by secondary storage at all. On my gaming rig I run an SSD with a 1TB Green drive and a dedicated 320GB drive that I salvaged from an old build and I don't notice any problems whatsoever.

Quote:
What type of PSU should I go with? I was told I need 760, but I don't think I need that much


You really don't for a 6870 - a 600W - 700W should be more than enough. Try something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
!