HELP NEEDED | weird PNY 560 ti (non reference XLR8 I recieved)

Hi, I've came here for HELP. I bought this card on the internet and it isn't the same as the picture, I can't even find a picture of it ANYWHERE on the internet and it doesn't exist on PNY's site.

The card's a "PNY GMGTX56N2H1GZPB - GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1024 Mo - PCI-Express".

Link to where I bought it from: http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Composants/Carte-Graphique/Carte-Graphique-nVidia/PNY/4856501-Carte-graphique-PNY-GMGTX56N2H1GZPB-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti-1024-Mo-PCI-Express.htm

Photos I took a couple of hours ago (I didn't take the GPU out because I'll be moving my rig into an NZXT Phantom in a couple of days and this case is really small, it' was a pain in the ass to get the GPU in so yeah...):

I can't even understand how that fan would do any good -_-, it isn't above anything... It's a bit like a 570 reference design but it's a 560 ti.
I'll be reselling it anyway in a couple of months because I wanted a reference card which could be watercooled with an EK transparent waterblock (560 ti reference designs only have the black version anyway) but I'd like to know if this card is legit or not and wether or not I can claim a reference design (the one which was on the product's picture I bought).

oh and here's it's gpu-z:

Although I can't see how that fan would cool it, it's at 25° idle.

Hope you guys will be able to help me out and that some of you might be aware of this really weird XLR8 560 ti.
52 answers Last reply
More about help needed weird reference xlr8 recieved
  1. It's probably a discontinued model or promotion model, anyway you are happy with this right? Don't worry too much if it is.
  2. refillable said:
    It's probably a discontinued model or promotion model, anyway you are happy with this right? Don't worry too much if it is.

Yea, that might just be a temporary card model number. Maybe it's European only?
    Looks like a guy on overclock.net bought the same card :P http://www.overclock.net/t/876350/official-nzxt-phantom-club/7330 (Post #4)
  3. @refillable:

Yeah, it runs fine, has good temps (well I used to have a GTS 240 XD, made hell of a lot of noise and sucked, temps were 60-70° idle :p) and all so I won't complain.
    Not going to be watercooling a 560 ti anyway but the fan is weird and the fact I can't find a single pic of it on google is really freaking me out.

What's a promotion model ? And if it was either (promotion or discontinued) I should be able to find something about it on the internet, right ? Thing is there's absolutely NOTHING :(.

@gooseta:

lol... very funny ^^.
  4. steelkevin said:
    @refillable:

Yeah, it runs fine, has good temps (well I used to have a GTS 240 XD, made hell of a lot of noise and sucked, temps were 60-70° idle :p) and all so I won't complain.
    Not going to be watercooling a 560 ti anyway but the fan is weird and the fact I can't find a single pic of it on google is really freaking me out.

What's a promotion model ? And if it was either (promotion or discontinued) I should be able to find something about it on the internet, right ? Thing is there's absolutely NOTHING :(.

@gooseta:

lol... very funny ^^.

Well promotion model is just a model that is used to promote their new products, or just basically ''limited edition''. But you don't have to RMA it, as long as you got what you paid and it doesn't have any FPS problem. It's also probably a special edition for your area (france)... And one final thing I guess that you are the guy who posted in the overclock.net :).
  5. I suppose that's a fine guess xD.

Well I wouldn't post this looking if somebody had the same card (probably would in fact...) neither would I post somebody else's PC pics claiming I couldn't be arsed to take the GPU out :). And it'd be a spooky coincidence if that guy and I had the same forum name (irl name btw) and were both getting a phantom...

So yes, it is me. But people over there don't seem to know much if anything about GPUs or prefer to ignore me (might have something to do with the fact I posted in the Phantom Case thread :p) so I thought I might aswell look for an active hardware forum where people actually knew what they were talking about and could give decent or even great answers :).

Could you explain how that Fan cools it :s ?
  6. Lol No :lol: It's probably that the heat pipes from the GPU, VRAM, etc heats are going to the fan an the fan blows it all off. I think it works the same as the GTX 570 coolers (Again this is a guess because I don't know really how it looks like). My other guess is also it's a wrong product or mistake product and they put the GTX 570 cooler on the 560 ti there... And the store, PNY itself doesn't notice it (Strangely). And you do as a buyer, but still If it's Me I will not RMA it assuming that it's cool and working properly. (You don't have issues on games and displays right?)
  7. now that's weird... I just installed new drivers for my Razer mouse and Keyboard (yes, should've been done ages ago but for some reason the driver section won't load at my mum's...) and when it rebooted my resolution was 800x600.

I can only put it up to 1600x1200 where as my monitor is a 1080p one and it's always been in 1920x1080.
    I'll reboot it again and see what happens...

And as you can see on the pic, the fan isn't above any board or what not.
  8. Update to the latest drivers. Or set the resolution on the nvidia control panel instead of the windows control panel (or whatever your operating system is) if possible.
  9. EDIT: after reboot it was back to the native res, 1920x1080.

(Why the hell on earth won't this forum let me edit my own comments -_- ?)

Already have installed the latest drivers (when I got the card) and I did check the nvidia control pannel. Max was 1600x1200 too lol.

And I'm running win7 as you can see by the window theme on the GPU-Z screenshot :).
  10. Good :)
  11. I'll probably send an email to PNY next monday when I take the card out and am at my mum's. To be able to take proper photos of the box, gpu, manual and all and ask them what's wrong with that gpu and eventually how to RMA it.
  12. Well, I don't know why you should RMA it, for me I will leave it as long as it's not disturbing me.
  13. It disturbs me to have a weird card and as I'm going to resell it sooner or later I'm guessing the buyer would rather have a normal card and not some sort of weird mutant thing :).

Plus, I really can't see how that cools it so it does worry me. I'd rather have a regular fan and know what it does and how.

Plus this cooler makes the GPU longer that it needs to be.

But RMAing it would take some time :s.

(dammit, just past the last hour looking around for people who'd moved out their components from a XPS 8100 case and it seems like it's not the easiest thing one could do because of the power / HDD LEDs and power button, shouldn't be too hard though, hopefully).
  14. Lol I actually want it :)
  15. Really ?

I'm having a hard time with to return it and they claim they aren't legally forced to put the right photos and all... plus I won't be able to return it within the 7 days they want.
  16. Sorry for double posting but this forum won't let me edit...

Plus I've found a gret deal on a trusted retailler's website from who I've ordered many times and haven't ever had any problems in any way:
    http://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/cartes-graphiques/choix-par-marque/pny/pny-geforce-gtx-560-ti-1go-gddr5-oc/f-107670512-KF560IGTX1GEPB.html?cm_mmc=Nextperformance&cid=media

Can borrow the 180€ to get that one but I'd need to get rid of the other one to be able to pay the person back :s.

Where do you live and how much would you be willing to pay for that "collector" item ? In fact, how much do you think I could get of it on Ebay ? After all it's like the only one anybody ahs ever seen like that so it's pretty exclusive, right ?
  17. that fan is a blower type fan, so it sucks air in through that circular opening and blows it outwards radially, the plastic shroud around it directs the airflow through the heatsink mounted on the gpu (you can see the gpu 'backframe' on the backside of the card infront of the fan) and then out the back of the case through those narrow holes...
    completely ordinary setup really, though the pcb is a bit short so the fan hangs beyond the end the pcb...
  18. steelkevin said:
    Sorry for double posting but this forum won't let me edit...

Plus I've found a gret deal on a trusted retailler's website from who I've ordered many times and haven't ever had any problems in any way:
    http://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/cartes-graphiques/choix-par-marque/pny/pny-geforce-gtx-560-ti-1go-gddr5-oc/f-107670512-KF560IGTX1GEPB.html?cm_mmc=Nextperformance&cid=media

Can borrow the 180€ to get that one but I'd need to get rid of the other one to be able to pay the person back :s.

Where do you live and how much would you be willing to pay for that "collector" item ? In fact, how much do you think I could get of it on Ebay ? After all it's like the only one anybody ahs ever seen like that so it's pretty exclusive, right ?

You can put it up on Ebay and call it an ''Exclusive Edition'' And sell it for 300 Euros :lol:

No, I mean not buy it from you. I mean if it's me I will not RMA it and put it in my rig without getting worried about this.
  19. Lol, could try, could try.

Well... I don't like the fact it's not as it should be and that it's kinda unique... I'd be better off with a normal card.
  20. Ugh... That Will waste money for shipping and handling. If you have no issue with this card it's still better to keep it IMO.
  21. Main issue is where the power connectors are. That's a pretty big issue imo.
  22. steelkevin said:
    Main issue is where the power connectors are. That's a pretty big issue imo.
    How is that an issue? Can you close the sidepanel or what's the matter?
  23. Well right now, not having been able to move my rig into the Phantom case, the power connector cable are squeezed against the side pannel... I don't know if the phantom will make any difference there but still... it doesn't look good either to have cables like that and I'm making a clean build so this issue is indeed an issue to me :).

Btw, the reason I still don't have it in my PHantom is because that same retailler took 5 times the time it should've to ship it and I'm not where it is anymore.

I can tell one thing for sure and that's that I won't be ever ordering anything from them ever again.
  24. It's Ok man if it's squeezed... no prob you decide to RMA something for a little issue :)
  25. I'm keeping it coz the retailer's being a btich...
  26. :(

Sell it off on ebay? Maybe somebody is interested (If you still want to change it).

AND..... How's gaming performance? Like GTX 570? You better keep it then if it's like GTX 570...
  27. XD, I don't own neither have I ever owned a 570 so I really couldn't tell :(.

And no, it's not because it looks like a 570 that it is a 570 ;).

Benchmarked like a regular 560 ti on 3Dmark 11 and the PASSMARK thing.
  28. Ok Ok... You can sell it off if you don't want.
  29. It disturbs me to have a weird card and as I'm going to resell it sooner or later I'm guessing the buyer would rather have a normal card and not some sort of weird mutant thing :).

I would like the mutant one, the more mutant, the better. But that's just me maybe. :pt1cable:

25 degrees under idle is very good, mine does 30-40 with two fans.

You know temp under full load ?
  30. Me also robjordy :)
  31. Ikr.

Add think about it as in a dell studio XPS 8100's case. That case is a heat whore apperently. The GTS 240 used to be at 60-70 on idle.

When this baby'll be in the Phantom I wonder what kinda temps it's gonna give.

Btw, it was at 29 at my mum's.

And well black ops maxed out (really maxed out, not as in no AA or whatever weirdos call maxed out nowasays) it runs at 60fps (obvious, CODs are capped at 60 if you don't unlock it with the console which is useless imo) same when recording with fraps. Temps well idk... any recommendations to check ?

I downloaded MSI Afterburner but ahven't installed it because it was late and in the zip there were 2 different .exe's. I've heard that monitored temps.

Does anybody have any idea wether or not there's a CPU temp monitor win7 gadget out there ? I'm using two GPU ones:
  32. http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6043/sanstitreol.png

Soemone please explain why I can't edit nor delete my own posts ? It's seriously annoying.

I'm sure double posting shouldn't be done and is agaisnt the rules but I have no other choice...
  33. Only can edit when you're on the UK forum or something, can't remember exactly.

:lol: Wtf is a heat whore ? Get all weird pictures in my head now of women with burning poontangs. :ouch:

Temps you can check indeed with afterburner so better install that.

I think btw that a fan like that doesn't blow cold air downwards but sidewards, so into the gpu case.
  34. I know, been told that here :).

And I am on the .co.uk one -_-.

Just look for reviews on the 8100 case. Basically, it doesn't cool anything.
  35. In your post you can see that right bottom corner, click on that. It works.
  36. quick edit works
  37. Thanks will know that now ;).

Btw, just played 2 full nuketown BO games. When I closed the game GPU was at 53°
  38. that's impressive cooling! Keep it?
  39. I'm pretty sure I said somewhere above that I'd keep it untill I go watercooling lol :p.

I like the design although the power cables aren't placed as well as the could be.

I know I shouldn't be such a lazy bitch but I'll ask anyway.

Could you guys give me the best info out there about ivy mobos and cpus please ? Will be getting those whenever they come out.
  40. Ivy Bridge is the upcoming processor line-up for the 22 nm die shrink of the Sandy Bridge CPU from Intel. It's planned to be released on the H1 2012. Ivy Bridge processors will be backward compatible with the 1155 sandy bridge socket,just with a Bios Update.

Ivy Bridge New features are:
    Better power management and more efficient than sandy bridge
    PCI Express 3.0 support
    Max CPU multiplier of 63 (57 for Sandy Bridge)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 or 2500 with DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.1, and OpenCL 1.1 support
    20% faster than Sandy bridge in CPU performance.
    30% faster than Sandy Bridge integrated GPU performance.

The one we are looking forward is i5-3570K which will be priced the same with i5-2500k and have a high chance to replace the famous i5-2500k. It will have a base clock of 3.4 Ghz and 77W TDP and unlocked multiplier for easier overclocking (like the i5-2500k). It will also include HD Graphics 4000.

Here is a picture of Intel CPU CPU roadmap (from Wikipedia)

Hope this will be a useful information!
  41. steelkevin said:
    Thanks will know that now ;).

Btw, just played 2 full nuketown BO games. When I closed the game GPU was at 53°

53 is very sweet, my soc version does 20 more ( with two fans and a lot of noise )

Oc that sucker and see what it does than :lol:
  42. Agree with robjordy, overclock that mutant weird GPU and see the unbelievable perf...
  43. Gotta read about OCing first then although I hear it's the easiest component to overclock.

And wow, I don't know if I mentioned it but I barely hear it when gaming :p.

Ok, gotta admit this mutant seems better than what I was expecting to get ;).

Thanks for the ivy info. I've heard whispers about the 1155 retro compatibility being expectations of intel but not what the real deal will be.
    I was expecting something like a 2500K (that's kinda what I'll be able to afford and is a great deal) so I'll probably be getting the 3570k

So no quad channel RAM with ivy's ?
  44. As far As I know it's going to be the same system like sandy bridge (same dual ram).

ah... You are so lucky, you got a nice GPU :lol:
  45. lol yeah XD.

I was whining about having got a weird card without looking at it's potential like a mother who'd give birth to a kid with 6 fingers who wouldn't like him although he's a genius :p (forgive the weird example).

I'll be getting a Blue / white themed 16x 16x sli mobo. Do you think that with a 200€ budget I'll be able to get that kind of mobo ?

I know it's useless above 8x 8x unless you have 6990s or 590s but I'd prefer to play it safe just incase.
  46. Sorry man, blue motherboard shows mainstream-class so, when I look at gigabyte 1155 motherboards only you'll find 8x/8x when it's blue. When i look at ASUS same result :(. You can go for black anyway.

For that you can go with this:
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_PRO_REV_31
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3815#ov
  47. Thanks for looking around for me, that'd be pretty much what I'll need/want :).
    Any clue why they don't make White mobos :p ?

Aren't new ivy boards gonna come out :s ?
    Won't have enough money before they come out anyway so better wait ;)

I know I'm asking a lot and being really lazy here but could you link me a good (the best ?) gpu overclocking guide / tuto or whatever ?
  48. Wasn't ivy boards same like sandy boards?
  49. That's my question ;). I really have no idea but if they say old sandy mobos will work after a bios update then I'm guessing there should be mobos designed specailly for ivys, right ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PNY Internet Graphics