How to enable hyperthreading on an old pentium 4 CPU

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi guys. I want to know how can i enable hyperthreading. I've never had a modern intel CPU so i don't know how to use HT. But now i want to know how can i enable HT on an old PC.
Specs: Intel Celeron Pentium 4 2.0GHz
ATI radeon 9200 series
1gb of DDR1 RAM
LC power super silent 550W
i know its a gigabyte motherboard but i don't know the model, it isn't my PC. It is written hyperthreading right next to the cpu socket so i assume that HT can work.

ulysses35

Distinguished
If you know the exact model number of the CPU - then you will be able to find out if the one you have supports HT. However it isnt something you turn off and on,

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL - this should open task manager, clikc on the performance tab and it will show you a graph for CPU useage... under the options button choose one graph per CPU.... if you stil have one graph then that chip doesnt have HT

Download and run CPU-z it will give you your exact CPU model which you can then google to find out if it is capable of hyperthreading. Most pentium 4s were not, it was only the last generation of them that were able to.

Given what you have stated I don't think your CPU has hyperthreading, the lowest clocked Pentium 4 with hyper threading was at 2.4 GHz and yours is 2.0.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors#Pentium_4_HT

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Thanks i'll check it out. I figured it out. My athlon II is an X3 cpu and on the task manager it has 3 graphs so if HT works on the old machine it should have 2 graphs. although i need to check the bios to see if its enabled. the board supports HT but i don't know about the cpu