Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Connect cell phone to computer then router?

Last response: in Networking
March 16, 2011 3:09:59 AM

Trying to do some research here and figure something out. I have an unlimited data plan with a cell company and want to share it over my home network. I can tether the phone to a computer via USB and it works for internet access fine. It shows up as a regular LAN connection. What I want to do though is connect the cell to the computer and then connect that via Ethernet to a router. I can connect it to another computer using a bridged connection with the Ethernet cable but when I plug it into the router I get nothing. Any ideas on what settings to look for etc?

I have the following hardware to mess with:
Buffalo WRT54G
D-Link DIR-615
two laptops XP, Win 7
one desktop with dual ethernet ports XP

Thanks for the input!
March 16, 2011 10:21:38 AM

have you tried ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the Desktop?

That should provide DHCP by your Desktop; therefore, you will need to disable DHCP on your Routers and connect the Desktop to one of the four LAN ports (NOT the WAN/Internet port) of the router.

connect a laptop to the router via network cable to find out what IP scheme is being use by the Desktop.

then configure the routers LAN IP to match the IP scheme. If the Desktop uses IP 192.168.2.1, set the router's LAN IP to 192.168.2.253 to be able to use the wireless
m
l
March 16, 2011 1:13:54 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll have to try this when I get home. I think I might have DHCP on for the router. I'll post the results...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 16, 2011 1:31:25 PM

I assume you configured the router using its WAN port:

[router](wan)<-- wire -->(lan)[pc](usb)<-- usb -->[cellphone]

Problem is, the PC has already grabbed the only available public IP for itself, so there's nothing to be assigned to the WAN IP of the router.

Emerald provides one solution; use ICS on the PC and make it your router, and demote the Linksys/D-Link router to nothing more than switch + AP. It should work just fine.

Alternately, you could do as you already have done (bridge the PC’s USB and ethernet connections), but instead disable (unbind) TCP/IP on the USB connection completely. This creates a simple ethernet bridge that runs all the way from the cellphone over to router’s WAN. Now when the router issues its DHCP request, it will receive the public IP.

In effect, it’s as if you now had one long ethernet cable running from the cellphone to the WAN of the router. Of course, now the bridging PC lacks any connectivity of its own (Internet or LAN). But that’s pretty simple to fix; you just use another network adapter (wire or wireless), something you probably already have, to your router like any other device behind the Linksys/D-Link router.

The advantage w/ this configuration is that you can put your Linksys/D-Link router to full use, including firewall, port forwarding, QoS, parental controls, etc., things you can’t do w/ the uber simple ICS.

Granted, using ICS as Emerald describes is the easier setup and would probably suffice for most ppl. But if you want something that’s closer to a typical cable/dsl setup w/ all the bells and whistles a hardware router has to offer, then you do have that option. Take your pick.

March 16, 2011 1:42:17 PM

Thanks eibgrad for the info, that is certainly what I'm looking for is just to replace the DSL modem and use the cell phone instead (of course with a few extra things thrown in). I'm surprised that this topic isn't more widely covered. Looks like I've got some work to do tonight :)  Thanks!
m
l
March 17, 2011 12:59:48 AM

Alright, got it to work! I did the tcp/ip uncheck and then let the D-Link use DHCP settings. Plugged the ethernet cable into the WAN port and I've got it working. Certainly not a fast connection but it serves its' purpose. Thanks for the help!
m
l
March 17, 2011 1:00:04 AM

Best answer selected by glasssplinter.
m
l
!