Sign in with
Your question

Unrecognizable hard drive after new PSU installation.

Last response: in Components
June 14, 2012 1:39:17 AM

Hello. I have a Dell OptiPlex GX280. I recently replaced the PSU in the computer. The new PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 430W. The new PSU allowed me to get the computer up and running, but with some problems. The computer boot-time takes longer, and the performance seems sluggish. More importantly, the second hard drive is unrecognizable. When I click on the drive icon, the computer asks me to format the drive. The drive worked fine prior to the PSU replacement, and I'd rather not lose all my data on the second drive. The second drive is Seagate brand; and I'm operating on Windows XP. I've double and triple checked the cords and lines, rebooted several times, and I still have the same issues. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
June 14, 2012 11:32:35 PM

That might be the problem. Thank you. Although, would a non-proprietary PSU still allow the computer to operate, albeit more slowly and with problems? I only ask because the computer does work, though the second hard drive is not recognizable, and it runs a bit more sluggish. According to the article you linked, I could potentially be doing a lot of damage to my system with the "foreign" PSU. In other words: if I purchase the Dell-specific PSU, do you believe all my problems will be resolved, or are there other issues that can be assessed? Thank you in advance.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 11:58:10 PM

I honestly don't know if that is your problem. I only brought up the Dell issue because that was around the time they still used the proprietary PSU/board. If that is your problem, changing to a Dell PSU might or might not be too late. On the other hand, that may not even be your problem.

If the old PSU still works, put it back in and see if the system works OK. You'll know if the board is still good.

Then take it back out and measure the voltages as per that chart on both PSUs. If the voltages are different even once, you know you have a proprietary PSU, and a proprietary Board. (To turn on the PSU when it's not plugged into the board, you need to jumper any black wire with the green wire on the 24 pin connector from the PSU.)
http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-po...

You may even be able to just compare wire colors between 24 pin connectors on the PSUs to make that determination.
m
l
June 15, 2012 12:27:53 AM

If your time and date were wrong then the bios battery is probably dead and you lost the bios settings you had previously. Replace the battery and then Try a resetting the bios to default values. Once that is done you can redetect the drive and reboot and see if the other drive is detected properly. If it isnt go into the bios again and try setting the second drive to a different setting like ide mode, sata, ahci, or raid modes.
m
l
!