6870 Drivers Installed, Black screen after Reboot , need help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennis

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hello Toms Hardware,

I have just built a new computer

x6 1100t

asrock 970 extreme 4

g.skill 8GB 1866MHz - [did not realise the CPU only supports to 1333MHz at the time of purchase ]

Sapphire HD 6870 1GB

60GB OCZ Vertex 3

WD Caviar Blue 500GB

nzxt hale82 750W

___

Now, I have installed Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate edition, and I have overcome a problem with it only detecting 4GB of RAM, and now I have ran into another problem.

I installed the drivers for my GPU from the ATI site, and after installation, the system reboots. It makes it to the screen where you see the windows logo, then before the login screen, it goes black. The screen is black and all I can see is my cursor.

I attempted to Unistall the drivers in safemode and could not, so I have system restored to before I installed them and tried again. Failed again.

Did so again but got the drivers from Sapphire site. Failed again.

I have checked in my BIOS and the graphics is set to PCIE.

Can anyone please help me, I have absolutely no idea how to fix this.

Thanks,
Ben

Bennis

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Update:

Driver sweepered all AMD drivers, reinstalled from AMD and got the same problem.

Black screen with white cursor...

I typed in my password in the black screen and hit enter, out of luck it logged me in.

However, I was logged into a completely blank desktop, with no icons, no taskbar, no start menu, nothing.

I pressed ctrl alt del, and I was back at a blank black screen with a white cursor.

Any help would be very much appreciated guys,

Dont want to have to visit a computer shop :(

Thanks,
Ben

illogic6

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I am having the exact same problem. I was playing Star Wars the Old Republic and decided to update to the newest preview drivers. I have two ATI Radeon HD 6870 cards in Crossfire. While running the setup program, Windows explorer crashed. I gave it a few minutes, hoping that explorer would come back. It didn't, so I rebooted. Black screen.

I booted into safe mode... no problems at all this way. Ran driver sweeper for my ATI drivers, and rebooted. Once the preview drivers were removed, I could get back to my desktop. I decided that I'd probably better stay away from the preview drivers and re-installed the current stable drivers. The installer completed, and prompted me to reboot. After it rebooted... same black screen. Haven't had any problems like this before, and I'm a little stumped.

Bennis

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hey mate,

I managed to fix it. I booted into low resolution mode (like 640xsomething) and then the login screen/desktop was viewable. I then, switched my screen resolution to maximum and it didnt stuff up.

I then switched off and on to check if it was a permanent fix and it was. Dont know what was going on but its all good now.

Try that and see how you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.