Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My Intel k2600 CPU runs at 63C

Last response: in CPUs
June 14, 2012 2:17:29 AM

Hello,

My CPU with stock cooler runs constantly @ 63C. It's clocked @ 4.2. Is this 'normal'?

I leave it running 24/7.

About once ever 2 months it shoots up to 72C and gives me a warning. So I shut it off for a while and then continue on.

Is this normal?
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 14, 2012 2:37:28 AM

Above 4ghz on the stock cooler is not recommended.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 14, 2012 2:37:55 AM

With the stock cooler at 4.2, I'm surprised it's THAT low actually, but yes, it's normal with the stock cooler and a 4.2 OC to run that warm. Get an after market cooler like a Hyper 212 Evo if you want to OC.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 4:51:16 AM

Thanks! A couple of (hopefully) quick follow-ups.

1. What's a maximum recommended temp?

2. Have I shortened the life of the CPU? (It's been like this for about a year.)

3. I actually -have- a 212. I just never got round to installing it after I realised that I'd have to completely remove the mobo to do it. Got scared something might break. Are they tough to install after the fact?

CHEERS!

---JC
m
l

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
June 14, 2012 5:02:18 AM

1. 72.6C but that's for the Package. Cores can get a bit warmer than that.

2. Probably not, as long as it never stayed above 72C for long periods. The recommended temp is just for longevity reasons, so if you stayed at or below that, you're golden.

3. Not really. The most difficult part is taking the mobo out of the case to install the back plate, like you already know.
June 14, 2012 11:44:26 AM

If your case has a cut-out behind where the CPU would be then you wouldn't have to remove the motherboard to install it. I installed my 212+ while the motherboard was still in the case, just make sure to read the instructions and watch some tutorial videos if you would to visually see the steps.
m
l
June 21, 2012 4:01:39 PM

Best answer selected by suntower.
m
l
June 21, 2012 4:22:31 PM

suntower said:
Thanks! A couple of (hopefully) quick follow-ups.

1. What's a maximum recommended temp?

2. Have I shortened the life of the CPU? (It's been like this for about a year.)

3. I actually -have- a 212. I just never got round to installing it after I realised that I'd have to completely remove the mobo to do it. Got scared something might break. Are they tough to install after the fact?

CHEERS!

---JC

Did the 212 bring your temps down? I'm having the exact same issue, 63C idles with a 4.2 OC, however even removing the OC does not make a big difference. I'd like to know if the 212 will fix the issue before I waste the money and time installing it.
m
l
!