My Intel k2600 CPU runs at 63C

suntower

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Hello,

My CPU with stock cooler runs constantly @ 63C. It's clocked @ 4.2. Is this 'normal'?

I leave it running 24/7.

About once ever 2 months it shoots up to 72C and gives me a warning. So I shut it off for a while and then continue on.

Is this normal?

Solution
1. 72.6C but that's for the Package. Cores can get a bit warmer than that.

2. Probably not, as long as it never stayed above 72C for long periods. The recommended temp is just for longevity reasons, so if you stayed at or below that, you're golden.

3. Not really. The most difficult part is taking the mobo out of the case to install the back plate, like you already know.

suntower

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Thanks! A couple of (hopefully) quick follow-ups.

1. What's a maximum recommended temp?

2. Have I shortened the life of the CPU? (It's been like this for about a year.)

3. I actually -have- a 212. I just never got round to installing it after I realised that I'd have to completely remove the mobo to do it. Got scared something might break. Are they tough to install after the fact?

CHEERS!

---JC

1. 72.6C but that's for the Package. Cores can get a bit warmer than that.

2. Probably not, as long as it never stayed above 72C for long periods. The recommended temp is just for longevity reasons, so if you stayed at or below that, you're golden.

3. Not really. The most difficult part is taking the mobo out of the case to install the back plate, like you already know.

Solution

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
If your case has a cut-out behind where the CPU would be then you wouldn't have to remove the motherboard to install it. I installed my 212+ while the motherboard was still in the case, just make sure to read the instructions and watch some tutorial videos if you would to visually see the steps.

Gaary

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Did the 212 bring your temps down? I'm having the exact same issue, 63C idles with a 4.2 OC, however even removing the OC does not make a big difference. I'd like to know if the 212 will fix the issue before I waste the money and time installing it.