Graphic card issue, I think..

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Computer
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 27, 2011 3:13:51 PM

Hello, I have a Acer Aspire M5300. I first bought the computer 2009 and about 1-2 years after, using a ATI Radeon 4650, my computer started randomly freezing, I still had the warranty. I sent it in and they changed the graphic card because it was overheating. It was changed to a Nvidia Geforce GT220.
Few months after this, I think my new graphic card started overheating aswell, as the monitor turns completely black and I have to manually turn the computer off. After this it is useless to turn it back on, as it will do the same thing after maximum 5 minutes turned on. This happens atleast once a day, since I started keeping track if the graphic card is overheating. When the computer is inactive, the graphic card is at 70-80 celsius and if I play a game or watch a movie on the computer, 2D games even, it goes above 100 celsius.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me really much. It is very exhausting, I've keept the computer open for more airflow, I cleaned the fans just incase aswell. I checked everything that I think could be the cause. I have a budget of 70 dollars, incase I need to buy a new graphic card.
I can post my DxDiag, if so needed..

Thank's in advance~~Danny.

More about : graphic card issue

a b Î Nvidia
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 27, 2011 3:38:58 PM

That case doesn't have the best ventilation. Blow it out with compressed air to get rid of any dust build up and add a case fan if need be. It could also just be your PSU crapping out.
December 27, 2011 3:48:10 PM

megamanx00 said:
That case doesn't have the best ventilation. Blow it out with compressed air to get rid of any dust build up and add a case fan if need be. It could also just be your PSU crapping out.

I've already opened the case and keept it open for more airflow.

How can I know if it's wrong with my PSU? It's a 450 watt.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 2:22:41 AM

The easiest thing to do is try a different PSU or GPU. If your motherboard has onboard graphics you might try to remove the GPU and use that. If the GPU is passively cooled, and I'm guessing it is, you could try putting a small fan on it and see if that doesn't work. CompUSA usually has odd GPU coolers and fans, but try something you don't have to permanently attach to see if that's the issue :D .
December 29, 2011 7:02:33 AM

You won't like this question.. How can I know if my motherboard has a onboard graphics?, Sorry for being such a newb.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 3:09:28 PM

If your motherboard has a vga, dvi, or hdmi connection on the backplate you have onboard video, if not, you don't. I do think you're problem could be as simple as a poorly cooled card though. If you can borrow a video card from a friend that would help.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 107 U Graphics card
December 29, 2011 3:10:40 PM

Actually as for that last part it only works if it's a low powered card like a 4350 or something. You probably can't put a gaming card like a 4850 in your system without damaging anything simply because your PSU probably wouldn't handle it.
!