Cpu Installation and Socket 1155 Problem?

SuperDuperDino

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME..
i have a z77 gigabyte motherboard with 3570k.
i inserted the cpu and every was alined perfectly. I put back down the lever but the tension was so great i was really scared. I took it out and oticed the whole bottom half of the socket was bent. I researched and found that it was natural. Is that true? Please Please Please help. I am very anxious.
Thank-you

Intel core i5 3570k
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H
XFX Pro850w Modular
8gb 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance
NZXT Fan Controller (Mesh)
Antec 1100 (Nice Case)
Corsair H60

Solution

Yes there's usually some "sound". If you're 100% sure then just lock it. What's the difference between you doing it or someone else? Either way, the end result will be the same. Success or failure.

Don't worry, just do it and you'll feel better. Make sure it's aligned and lock 'er up! :)

SuperDuperDino

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
When i pull down the lever i hear a really terrible noise .__. i hope its the base of my lever and not my pins bending. So im stopping and calling a friend. LOL im so frightened right now -_____-"

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
You do need quite a bit of force occasionally, depending on the socket, to seat the CPU, but definitely make sure the CPU is aligned correctly and fits securely. A good way to test is to grab the edges of the CPU, in a pinch fashion, and gently rock back and forth to make sure the pins are actually going into the socket and not resting on top.

InvalidError

Titan

Intel has been using Land Grid Array (LGA) which puts the pins on the motherboard rather than the CPU since the Core2Duo about six years ago.

The decision got heavily criticized by people worried about how fragile the socket 'fingers' are.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That is correct. The CPU has contacts that mate up with spring-loaded contacts on the socket. AMD still uses pins on their CPU and holes in the socket. I'm still undecided which I like better.

InvalidError

Titan

Both have their advantages and inconvenient. The LGA socket is mechanically simpler since it is a simple piece of molded plastic with metal contact inserts, no ZIF mechanism required but that comes at the expense of more complex external mechanism to apply force evenly across the CPU to establish electrical contact on more delicate socket fingers.

Mechanically speaking, I think I would call it a tie.

Since most Intel CPUs fancied by DIYers are more expensive than the motherboards they sit on while it is often the other way around for AMD CPUs, I would say things are fair enough as-is. Neither side has a clear advantage there either.

SuperDuperDino

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

I wish it could be that simple but when you personally do yours, do you hear a creaking sound like your pins bending? and trust me, I've made sure 100% I've lined it up correctly.

InvalidError

Titan

In my personal experience, nothing beats twisting a Golden Orb on a naked P3 die in terms of scary noises with doubts regarding whether or not this is normal.

RussK1

Splendid

Yes there's usually some "sound". If you're 100% sure then just lock it. What's the difference between you doing it or someone else? Either way, the end result will be the same. Success or failure.

Don't worry, just do it and you'll feel better. Make sure it's aligned and lock 'er up! :)

Solution