Solved

Performance increase?

Hello,
Currently I am upgrading my CPU from an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 ghz. To an FX-6200 (6 core) 3.8 ghz. CPU.
I am curious as to how much of a performance increase there will be. Will it be noticeable in browsing as well as gaming?
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about performance increase
  1. A better option would be a Phenom II X4 or a Sandybridge i5.
  2. Would rather have the newer tech. Also no Intel.
  3. xa376 said:
    Would rather have the newer tech. Also no Intel.

A SB or IB i5 destroys a 6200 in almost everything and a higher end Phenom II X4 is better too. Hell, go with an i3. Still better than a 6200 for "internet browsing" and gaming.
  4. Ok, but will I notice a performance increase in my computer? (for the FX-6200)
  5. xa376 said:
    Ok, but will I notice a performance increase in my computer? (for the FX-6200)

Of course, but if you want to upgrade, you might as well go with something that's truly good, unlike the 6200. The only FX CPU's worth owning are the 81xx CPU's.
  6. So why would the 8150 be worth it if I wouldn't need the extra 2 cores and it would operate at .2 ghz slower?
  7. xa376 said:
    So why would the 8150 be worth it if I wouldn't need the extra 2 cores and it would operate at .2 ghz slower?

For other purposes besides gaming. I wouldn't get a 81xx for that either, but it's still a better buy than a 6200. Seriously though, an i3 or a slightly OC'd Phenom II X4 will out perform the 6200 in games (and a 81xx too, actually). Wait for Piledriver if you're hell bent on a BD architecture CPU.
  8. Well Piledriver is (supposively) 15% faster than Bulldozer. 6200 being 3.8 ghz +15% = 4.37 ghz. Would that not then be better than an i5?
  9. Best answer
    You will see an improvement. Arguably, the FX CPUs performs as well as Core 2 Duo / Quad CPUs at the same clock speeds. Therefore, a FX-6200 @ 3.8GHz vs the older Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz should perform 73% better when taking into consideration 2 cores. When more than 2 cores are used the performance will be even greater. Note that this is just raw potential performance, not actual performance. For example if you were to overclock your Core 2 Duo by 10%, that does not mean all benchmark performance will improve by 10%. It may be more like between 4% - 7% depending on the program being benchmarked.

Also note that there are very few games that can use 4 cores, BF3 being one of those very few games.
  10. xa376 said:
    Well Piledriver is (supposively) 15% faster than Bulldozer. 6200 being 3.8 ghz +15% = 4.37 ghz. Would that not then be better than an i5?

LOL, Nope. BD can't even even match first gen Core Intel's, so matching and/or exceeding a current i5 with Piledriver is just a pipe dream. AMD really screwed up with the BD architecture. It may make more sense in the future, but for now, it's a mess.
  11. AMD is shooting for a performance increase of between 5% - 15% for every newly released CPU generation. Therefore, expecting 15% will be shooting for the high end of that range. Too early to tell what it's actual performance increase will be.

However, assuming a 15% increase, that means PileDriver's performance would be approximately between the performance of the 1st and 2nd gen Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs if the clock speeds were the same.
  12. Well im assuming a 10% increase. However users of Windows 8 notice AMD CPU's to be 5% faster (now that windows 8 supports FX chipsets).
  13. xa376 said:
    Well im assuming a 10% increase. However users of Windows 8 notice AMD CPU's to be 5% faster (now that windows 8 supports FX chipsets).

5% is just about at the high end of what I expect from any performance increase with Win 8. Just don't bet on it... Software improvements can't make up for horrible IPC.
  14. Best answer selected by xa376.
  15. DJDeCiBeL said:
    For other purposes besides gaming. I wouldn't get a 81xx for that either, but it's still a better buy than a 6200.

It's actually been proven that the higher end FX processors are not worth the money, and the only one nearly worth the money is the FX-4100, as it is very cheap, and you can still overclock it. At higher price points, you might as well go with Intel.

Currently on Newegg (offer ends in 4 days [6/18]) the FX-4100 is $99.99, after the promo, it's $109.99. Under $100 is starting to approach a good bargain. If I see it drop to $90 or $80, I'd most likely buy it to upgrade off my Propus.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Core