Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just bought a UPS, is windows supposed to behave like this?

Last response: in Components
June 14, 2012 3:09:45 AM

Hello everyone, So a month ago or so, i came on here asking about a solution for my workstation that helped with managing my work and setup when a power outage occurred an so long story short, it was suggested that i got a UPS.

I ended up getting one but I have a few questions.

I went with this one : http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?...

That said, this is my problem, When i purposely turn off the power (you know to test it lol)
the system (windows) like, probably within 5 seconds or so, shuts off....or rather, goes to sleep. nowhere near enough time to
save anything.

I have everything i need plugged into it and overall, as SOON as i shut down the power that feeds that outlet where the UPS is connected, 5 seconds after, EVERYTHING that is connected to the UPS goes to sleep/shuts down. thereafter i have to hit ESC a few times and the computer goes through the WHOLE process of a restart but the only difference being that, once windows loads, all my content is still up on the screen which i guess isnt entirely bad but Upon further testing however...
once windows is fully awake, about 5-10 seconds after that, it shuts down yet again....mind you that the UPS says i have 20-25 minutes of power left so i know i have enough juice.

I dont think this is how its supposed to work/behave because as it stands, when the power goes out, the computer goes
into like an endless sleep/wake loop and i STILL cant save my work lol. This way is worse because if the power dies in the house and i loose my work, its like SH!*% but now with the UPS, its like its toying with me taunting me before eventually killing my work lol.

What im wanting is that when the power goes out, that the system stays on so that i can save my work accordingly WITHOUT
the pc going to sleep.

Any ideas how i can achieve this?

thanks in advanced.
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 3:42:24 AM

I have Vista on my PC and the default battery settings for UPS is to Hibernate when the battery drops under 98% charge while on-battery.

When the computer goes into Hibernate, all your RAM contents is saved to HDD. You could unplug your PC, take it around the block for a walk, hook everything back up and all your work will be there when you turn it back on. The UPS' role in this case is simply to keep your PC running long enough to dump RAM to disk.

If you want to have some time to save things yourself, go in Power Options -> Advanced -> Battery -> Critical = 70%

This should give you ~5 minutes after the outage to shut things down yourself before Windows goes into hibernation.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 11:50:55 AM

I have the same UPS and it doesn't do anything like that since I've just unplugged it and I'm still typing out this reply. Can you press the buttons on the UPS to see how much watts your computer draws and how much time you're expected to have?
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 1:14:03 PM

Thanks all for the replies, I figured out what the problem is...

but before that

@INVALIDERROR - Quote :

When the computer goes into Hibernate, all your RAM contents is saved to HDD. You could unplug your PC, take it around the block for a walk, hook everything back up and all your work will be there when you turn it back on. The UPS' role in this case is simply to keep your PC running long enough to dump RAM to disk.

So to this comment, Where are the contents stored on disk? if it saves to disk then im assuming its stored somewhere physical and thereby consuming hdd space???

I figured out what it was. on windows 7, (cant remember 100%) but if you go to umm....(sigh too early and im on my mac right now lol) if you go to Start/control panel/ power options?

somewhere in there, you can setup how the computer behaves when on battery power and when connected.
I put the "when to turn of/sleep" or something like that, when on battery power to "never"....

there are two options in there that i set to never. When i turned the power My PC now stays on like i wanted it to. Before it was set to something like "5 minutes" or something close to that and its weird because the PC whilst on battery power never even CLOSELY reached 5 minutes...it was more around 5 seconds before it went to sleep but still....

setting those options to never, allows me to now take my sweet time saving and storing my work as i see fit.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 2:23:23 PM

somdow said:
Where are the contents stored on disk? if it saves to disk then im assuming its stored somewhere physical and thereby consuming hdd space???

Usually in C:\hyberfil.sys
The file will be as large as your total installed RAM is.

somdow said:
there are two options in there that i set to never. When i turned the power My PC now stays on like i wanted it to. Before it was set to something like "5 minutes" or something close to that and its weird because the PC whilst on battery power never even CLOSELY reached 5 minutes...it was more around 5 seconds before it went to sleep but still....

As I said above, the default setting for "Critical charge level" is at 98% by default and the default "Critical action" is to hibernate. Since the UPS' battery will almost instantaneously drop below 98% as soon as the UPS goes on battery, a PC with those default settings would hibernate almost immediately after any power interruption.

While disabling the "critical action" may give you time to "take your sweet time", it also strips you of the safety of automatic hibernation should a power outage occur while the computer is unattended.
June 24, 2012 2:02:28 AM

Best answer selected by somdow.
m
l
Related resources
!