Problem after replacing cpu

Slayerofdragons911

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hi guys,
The computer I built for my little brother ran a little hot so I decided to replace the thermal paste seeing I had probably messed up when I built it (because the HSF was really hard to get on so I most likely smeared the preapplied paste too much). Well after applying the paste a first time, it was really bad and I got in the high 80s. After a second attempt, I got high 30's, low 40's on idle and called it a night. The next day, however, my brother started getting high 80's on idle right after booting :/ so I went and redid the thermal paste AGAIN. I feel really unlucky with this right now and my current problem is that after my latest attempt, the PC boots and all the fans turn on, but the mobo doesn't beep and I can't see anything on the screen. I've already tried removing the GPU and RAM and booting it but same problem. I also tried removing the battery and putting it back in but to no avail.

The thermal paste Im using is Arctic Silver 5 and although it may seem I might be using bad form, the HSF has a really annoying design and so it is easy to smear when attempting to lock it in. (The HSF has two thin metal clamps, its the stock cooler that comes with the AMD Phenom II X4 965) It should also be noted that I attempted both the pea drop and spread methods.

My question is, is this a mobo problem? And what are some other methods I can attempt to fix this?

Id really appreciate some help

Solution
80 is nuts even if you applied the paste badly (grain of rice btw not a pea thats too much). If it was cooking at 80 though its likely dead can you try another CPU on the board? or that CPU on another board?

If you get it working Check some things though

1 - Is the heatsink sat properly flat down on the CPU (if the metal bar gest a bit bent it can cause the heatsink to sit at an angle)?

2 - What are you reading these temps from? Try using another program to check temps (sometimes you can get funky readings) and see if they concur (at 80 the CPU should be throttling itself right down).

3 - When it says it's 80 briefly touch the heatsink 80 is HOT you should feel the heatsink itself becoming extremely hot.

4 - Is the fan speed stuck...

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Did you wipe the bottom of the HSF clean before reapplying the thermal paste? What cooler are you using?

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
80 is nuts even if you applied the paste badly (grain of rice btw not a pea thats too much). If it was cooking at 80 though its likely dead can you try another CPU on the board? or that CPU on another board?

If you get it working Check some things though

1 - Is the heatsink sat properly flat down on the CPU (if the metal bar gest a bit bent it can cause the heatsink to sit at an angle)?

2 - What are you reading these temps from? Try using another program to check temps (sometimes you can get funky readings) and see if they concur (at 80 the CPU should be throttling itself right down).

3 - When it says it's 80 briefly touch the heatsink 80 is HOT you should feel the heatsink itself becoming extremely hot.

4 - Is the fan speed stuck at a low RPM?

Solution

Slayerofdragons911

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
@ Engima, yes the fan header is plugged in for sure and the fans works

@wr6113, I'm pretty sure the cpu isn't fried because when it was running at 80 the PC wouldn't shut itself down so it was surviving but it just wasn't a healthy temp to be running at. Now I'm sure if I had put it on load by running a game it would've shut itself down but I decided not to test my luck and shut it off. To answer your other questions:

1. I'm almost positive its flat on there but I'll give it another shot

2. I'm getting temps from CoreTemp, which has been pretty reliable for me

3. I did touch the HSF once after it was running 80 but it wasn't extremely hot. It was just a little warm, not hot enough to make me pull my hand back immediately.

4. The fan speed seems to be running fine

As of now, my problem still persists. After the cpu ran 80, I decided to replace the paste once more but that has resulted in my now current problem. All the fans run when booted but I receive no beep from the mobo and get no visuals on my screen.

My greatest fear is a dead mobo/cpu but I will attempt to take the mobo out and make a minimum build and try it. If that fails, I will reapply the paste and see how that goes. Thanks for the help and I'll let you guys know what happens.

UPDATE:
I've tried everything so far. I took the mobo out of the case and reapplied paste with precision. With the GPU and RAM the thing still doesnt beep and gives me no visual. Even after removing everything except the cpu and heatsink, still no beep. I have come to the conclusion that either something went wrong with my mobo or cpu but idk which one. This sux >.<