Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First time gaming rig 1000$ comments appreciated

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 27, 2012 3:10:29 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: August 2012

Budget Range: (800$-1000$) U.S.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet streaming, Multi-monitor web browsing, XBMC

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, HD T.V.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Tigerdirect.com, amazon.com

Country: United States

Parts Preferences: I personally like AMD's more than Intel, and Radeons more than Nvidia.

Overclocking: Only through software

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 and 1280x720. (2 monitors)

Additional Comments: For my Senior project i wanted a pc either roughly the size of a Xbox 360 (mini-itx) or a full ATX machine either/or. I haven't built a PC yet but I'm not dumb, and I disassemble and clean my Linux desktop from time to time. I know that the full size case will be easier but the mini-itx seems to have a bigger "wow" factor. Its requirements are that its capable of Battlefield 3 at 40+fps in 720p in PS3 quality, NFS Shift 40+ fps in a multi-monitor setup and i would love to play Crysis with the realism mod 30fps+ in 720p/1080p(but this is not needed).
My thoughts so far was the:
Asus mini itx board f1A75
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Amd A8-3870k (or wait for Amd A10-5800k)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Kingston 128GB SSD
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600mhz (2x4GB)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Corsair Builder Series CX430
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

HIS Radeon HD 6670-low profile (Dual GPU with A8)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Antec ISK 300-150 mini-itx case
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Mini-ITX-Motherboards-ISK-3...

Windows 7
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I think my other options are a Amd 6 core FX, an intel i5 2500(not k) build, or salvaged build from this (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...)
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 4:12:50 AM

Quote:
Its requirements are that its capable of Battlefield 3 at 40+fps in 720p in PS3 quality, NFS Shift 40+ fps in a multi-monitor setup and i would love to play Crysis with the realism mod 30fps+ in 720p/1080p(but this is not needed).


You're not going to achieve that with a Llano. BF3 is one of the most demanding and resource hogging games in history and the power that an AMD Llano puts out is not going to cut it. The Llano is meant for systems that are strictly entertainment / web browsing systems where you don't need a lot of power to begin with.

Quote:
For my Senior project i wanted a pc either roughly the size of a Xbox 360 (mini-itx) or a full ATX machine either/or.


I've never done a mini-ITX build but I'm really interested in building one at some point for my parents' home theater setup.

Quote:
I think my other options are a Amd 6 core FX, an intel i5 2500(not k) build, or salvaged build from this (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...)


You'd be very wise to stay away from the FX-6100 when it's far outperformed by the $70 Pentium G620.

For price - performance you should try the Intel Core i5-2400 instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Kingston SSD is an OK choice but the limited storage capacity might get frustrating in the long run (unless you plan to run an external). You might want to take a look at the Seagate Momentus XT instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 4:57:26 AM

Seeing how you plan on hooking dual monitors up then go for the 6950 2GB

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-K... $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $104.99
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $224.99 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10... $24.21 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAB

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD%C2%B1RW-Serial-Intern... $20.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern... $84.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST500DM002

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Ex... $265.19 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 100312-2SR

Total: $900.33
m
0
l
Related resources
February 27, 2012 7:58:24 PM

Does it really have to be intel, no AMD maches up?
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 8:17:05 PM

Shawna593767 said:
Does it really have to be intel, no AMD maches up?

AMD doesn't really have a horse in this race anymore hence the reason well over 90% of the new builds on here are Intel 1155 Sandy Bridge builds. For a real high end work horse built it's the LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-E builds with the X79 boards.

Google the reviews.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 8:33:16 PM

Why_Me said:
AMD doesn't really have a horse in this race anymore hence the reason well over 90% of the new builds on here are Intel 1155 Sandy Bridge builds. For a real high end work horse built it's the LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-E builds with the X79 boards.

Google the reviews.


Not to mention that benchmark after benchmark shows how slow the AMD is, I saw this one where it's out performed by the $70 G620: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 9:07:23 PM

Intel core i5 (sandy bridge) 2500- 189.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3, ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155),DDR3 2133MHz, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, CrossFireX Ready-99.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Patriot G2 Series PGD38G1600ELK Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24- 26.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series™ CX600 Power Supply - 600W-49.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Lite-On IHAS124-04, DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)-17.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... OEM

Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case-39.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Western Digital WD2500AAKX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 250GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 16MB-74.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

PowerColor Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5- 259.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Total-759.92
+Windows 7-99.99
Full running PC: 859.91

So, similar specs to the forementioned PC but 100$ cheaper. Enough to buy an OS!

Please comment and/or change some products.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 9:13:04 PM

And yea I know about the AMD chips lacking in power but thats the brand my whole family sticks with so.. But I guess if I really want a gaming pc I'll have to change brands.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 10:10:46 PM

Shawna593767 said:
Intel core i5 (sandy bridge) 2500- 189.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3, ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155),DDR3 2133MHz, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, CrossFireX Ready-99.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Patriot G2 Series PGD38G1600ELK Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24- 26.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Thermaltake TR-500 TR2 ATX Power Supply - 500W-49.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Lite-On IHAS124-04, DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)-17.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... OEM

Apex Vortex3620 Gaming Mid-Tower Case - 10x Drive Bays, USB, eSATA-39.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Western Digital WD2500AAKX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 250GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 16MB-74.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-GP Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler - 120mm, LGA 1366, 1156, 775, AMD AM3, AM2+, AM2-29.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

PowerColor Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5- 259.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Total-789.91
+Windows 7-99.99
Full running PC:889.90

So similar specs to the forementioned PC but 100$ cheaper. Enough to buy an OS!

Please comment and/or change some products.


You don't need the Hyper 212 if you get the i5-2400 - you can run on the stock cooling fine. Save that and invest in a better case and PSU.

That looks a lot better but I would not get that case or PSU - Apex is a junk brand (as is Apevia, Xion, Xclio, Raidmax, Ultra...). Go with a Cooler Master Elite 430 instead if you want a case that cheap: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

And then for your PSU do not get a Thermaltake - they do not have the best reputation in the market. This would be better for the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - and you get a $20 MIR, making it the same price as the Thermaltake.

And then pay an extra $10 for an HD with twice the capacity: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
February 27, 2012 11:13:59 PM

Ok thank you, and is that graphics card is an acceptable company?
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 11:46:20 PM

Shawna593767 said:
Ok thank you, and is that graphics card is an acceptable company?


Powercolor is fine - I generally prefer Sapphire or XFX if you can get either 6950 but those becoming hard to come by.
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 12:01:36 AM

Intel core i5 (sandy bridge) 2500- 189.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3, ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155),DDR3 2133MHz, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, CrossFireX Ready-99.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Patriot G2 Series PGD38G1600ELK Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24- 26.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series™ CX600 Power Supply - 600W-49.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Lite-On IHAS124-04, DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)-17.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... OEM

Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case-39.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Western Digital WD2500AAKX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 250GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 16MB-74.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

PowerColor Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5- 259.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Total-759.92
+Windows 7-99.99
Full running PC: 859.91

So, similar specs to the forementioned PC but 100$ cheaper. Enough to buy an OS!

Please comment and/or change some products.

This has been updated
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 12:35:35 AM

If I double the ram the full price would be 886.90, is that worth the money? (I can ship to my grandparents so rebate isn't a problem.) And is that setup good enough or would the crossfire-x Radeon HD 6870 be worth maxing out my budget. And if so do I need a new power supply?

HIS H687FN1GD Radeon HD 6870 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI, 1x Single-Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity, CrossFireX Ready- 159.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

This would only add 60$
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 28, 2012 12:51:37 AM

Shawna593767 said:
If I double the ram the full price would be 886.90, is that worth the money? (I can ship to my grandparents so rebate isn't a problem.) And is that setup good enough or would the crossfire-x Radeon HD 6790 be worth maxing out my budget. And if so do I need a new power supply?

HIS H687FN1GD Radeon HD 6870 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI, 1x Single-Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity, CrossFireX Ready- 159.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...


That's a fine choice for video card.

Doubling the RAM isn't worth it, IMO - you'll most likely never use all 16GB. And you'd be very wise to not use Patriot RAM - go with Kingston, Crucial, PNY, Corsair, or G.Skill, but I would seriously avoid Patriot.
m
0
l
February 28, 2012 1:23:30 AM

Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.30 GHz (3.70 GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan -224.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] u=I69-2500

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3, ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155),DDR3 2133MHz, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, CrossFireX Ready-99.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] CatId=7212

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, -54.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series™ CX600 Power Supply - 600W-49.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] CatId=5432

Lite-On IHAS124-04, DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)-17.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] u=L12-1312 OEM

Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case-39.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] =C283-3122

Western Digital WD2500AAKX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 250GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 16MB-74.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] CatId=2458

HIS H687FN1GD Radeon HD 6870 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity, CrossFireX Ready- 159.99x2 (319.98)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Total-882.91
+Windows 7-99.99
Full running PC: 982.9

I think this is the max gaming PC on my budget, am i right? or is something better.


m
0
l
February 28, 2012 10:56:54 PM

Best answer selected by shawna593767.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
February 29, 2012 4:49:12 AM

Shawna593767 said:
Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.30 GHz (3.70 GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan -224.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] u=I69-2500

GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3, ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155),DDR3 2133MHz, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, CrossFireX Ready-99.99 with rebate
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] CatId=7212

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, -54.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series™ CX600 Power Supply - 600W-49.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] CatId=5432

Lite-On IHAS124-04, DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)-17.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] u=L12-1312 OEM

Cooler Master RC-430-KWN1 Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case-39.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] =C283-3122

Western Digital WD2500AAKX Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 250GB, 3.5", SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 16MB-74.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] CatId=2458

HIS H687FN1GD Radeon HD 6870 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16), DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Eyefinity, CrossFireX Ready- 159.99x2 (319.98)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Total-882.91
+Windows 7-99.99
Full running PC: 982.9

I think this is the max gaming PC on my budget, am i right? or is something better.


That looks good but watch the heat sinks on that RAM - if you do decide to get a Hyper 212 later on that will not mix well. Get this instead: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
m
0
l
!