Help! Need a X-Fi Platinum replacement

mkdahammy

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I have a PCI Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum sound card sandwiched between two Crossfire cards. This causes one to overheat. I've had the X-Fi for a long time so I think it's time to upgrade. I haven't tried the integrated sound on the motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO). If I get a PCIE card it will be out of the way.

Can anyone recommend a comparable or better PCIE sound card that works well with headphones for gaming? The last three cards I've owned were SBs but I heard good things about Xonar/HT. I'd love to still have a 5.25" front audio panel with the 1/4 headphone jack for my Sennheiser HD 555s. The bass on these is starting to go so I may need to replace these as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Ok, since headphone use was mentioned here, along with PCI-E, you have a few specific options. Assuming you want a card with a headphone amp, your options are:

ASUS Xonar Xense [comes with a Sennheiser PC350]
ASUS Essense STX
ASUS Phoebus
Auzentech Forte [X-fi based]
Auzentech Home Theatre HD [X-fi based]

If you are willing to go without the amp, the ASUS Xonar D2X is probably the best all around PCI-E option.

mkdahammy

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I read the X-Fi Titanium HD is a good option for gaming because it as EAX 5.0. It seems there is not a good card with 1/4" jacks for headphones and front panel audio bays.

My main focus is gaming with headphones. I'll read up on those above recommendations and if anyone has more suggestions please let me know. Thanks!