Faster start up

draztix

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hi all,

i've recently ''finished'' my build

apart from the processor,hdd and cd drive all parts are new.

specs:

Asus Sabretooth P67 motherboard
Intel i7 2600
Corsair H100 LiquidCooler
Asus GTX 570 DCII
Corsair vengeance 1600Mhz (16gb)
Corsair 1050HX power
Seagate 2TB Hdd
Zalman MFC1 Plus Fancontroller
CoolerMaster HAF X

now my question is:

how can i make my system start up faster?
i've timed it and it's a bit under 2minutes from pressing the ON button to Windows 7 has fully started up... i'm not sure about this , but it seems abit long... i know i dont have a ssd yet, but almost 2minutes to start up??

i've disabled a few programs such as msn, and other basic programs at msconfig.exe
there's still a fex programs enabled of wich i'm not 100% sure what they are for.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
there you go.

its a quite slow HDD, only reccomended as a data drive for movies, mp3's & such.

i would look at getting a 120gb SSD or bigger to put Windows, games & commonly used programs on.

draztix

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
yeah i thought so!

that's the only item i still need for my new rig :)

but then i ask the next questions: 1 .say i have the ssd and plug it in, how do i install my OS on it?
2. do i uninstall or delete my OS from the Hdd after installing it onto the ssd?
3. after installing it succesfully, do i go into the bios and select the ssd for booting?

hehe i can build a rig, but when it comes to stuff like stated above, i'm a total noobie

thnx for info so far

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

1. Use the Windows Install disk and do a full install exactly like you would for a brand new build. You may need to disconnect the HDD while you do this to be certain that windows actually installs on the SSD.

2. You can delete windows from the HDD if you want to (I always do) but not required. If you leave it there just be sure to set the SSD as the BOOT drive in BIOS. Best way to make sure that windows is no longer installed on the HDD is to repartion the drive (just make sure any important information is backed up somewhere else first).

3.YES!

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
A 5900 RPM HDD is not going to cause a huge lag in start up...
Are you looking at the BIOS splash screen for 2 min. or watching Windows splash for 2 min. There is a setting in the UEFI BIOS wich controls how long the BIOS screen displays befor startup. Set it to 1 if that is the problem.