Blank monitor with graphics card in, fine without graphics card in.

Hey guys,

I am in the process of building my first Pc. When I turn it on fully assembled I get the single POST beep. However, i get no response from the monitor.

I went through the breadboard steps and everything seems to be working fine. When i remove the graphics card I am able to enter the bios. With the graphcs card removed I am in the process of installing windows now.

The monitor has either a blue tipped cable or a hdmi cable for connections.

So the questions are:

1: Is the reason that I am having trouble with the screen because I have the monitor plugged into the mobo instead of the graphics card?

2: is my graphics card not working correctly?

3: Do i need to by an adapter so that i can plug the blue tipped monitor cable into the white tipped graphics card socket?

parts list:

CPU: core i5 2500k
MOBO: asus P8z68v-3gen
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
HSF: Coolermaster COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO UNIVERSAL
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W ST75F-P
DVD: Sony AD7280SGB DVDRW OEM
CASE: Lian Li Lancool First Knight USB 3.0 PC-K9 Black

*****GPU: ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II Overclocked 1GB http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16652

*****Monitor: Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 23.6in LED Monitor http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17718

Thanks for reading :)
3 answers Last reply
More about blank monitor graphics card fine graphics card
  1. plug the monitor in the video card. in the BIOS make sure it points to the card or the setting is on auto. not on the on board.
  2. swiftly_Morgan is correct. When you plug in a dedicated GPU it takes priority and overrides the motherboard video. however I see you confusion since none of your monitor plugs fit the card. In the box with the GPU there should be a DVI to VGA (white to blue) adapter and a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter. They are probably under the cardboard the GPU was sitting on in the box. You'll probably want to use the HDMI as its digital.
  3. Thanks for the quick replys guys!

I found the adapter and plugged the monitor into the graphics card. Everything is fine now.

Thanks so much again!

**solved**
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Graphics Cards Monitors Systems