Sign in with
Your question

New system extremely slow

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2012 8:47:52 AM

Hello everybody,

two weeks ago I built my very first system after a rather long hiatus due to studies and other stuff. I did not actually build the parts together but started it from scratch out of the shop where I bought it.

The first days were really happy :) 

Now I start to wonder if I did something wrong. Everything went well but as soon as I tried to play a game (basically Battlefield 3) things became weird.

First off BF3 is absolutely not playable (extreme lag even in low settings when I have the chance to reach the game menu, sound echo and sound stutters). Starting it (be it online or offline) completely overwhelms my computer which becomes ultra slow.

And now when I use my computer for other things my processors seem to go very close to 100% usage for quite basic applications such as using Chrome, Word and let's say VLC together.

I was not expecting to play BF3 and launch CS5 at the same time but I thought my config was ok:
intel i5 2400 @ 3.1 Ghz
motherboard Gigabyte Z68XPUP-UD3 ATX DDR3
Kingston hyper-X 12800/1600 16 Gb
Sapphire HD6870 1Gb
SSD 60 Gb
HDD 1 Tb

I installed Win 7 on the SSD and most of the other applications on the classic disk. I'm using two monitors, one via DVI and the other via HDMI.

So I really don't know what's going on. Did i buy the wrong components to put together? (at least I could blame myself)
All drivers are up to date, the system is new so everything is "clean"..

I would really appreciate any help and thank you for your time! :) 

More about : system extremely slow

February 27, 2012 9:06:30 AM

Even though it may be a new system, you may have gotten a virus/malware etc. Do you torrent files?
m
l
February 27, 2012 9:08:21 AM

A few questions:

1. What brand SSD are you using?-Make sure you are using lastest firmware and make sure TRIM is enabled (You can use SSD Tweaker to optimize SSD).
2. How much free space do you have left on your SSD?-You should have 15% free space for good performance.
3. What resolution are you using?
4. What PSU are you using?
5. Your VGA is a little on the weak side IMO.
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2012 9:12:51 AM

shadow_city said:
Even though it may be a new system, you may have gotten a virus/malware etc. Do you torrent files?

I did torrent one file but from a reliable source (I mean I didn't torrent any huge software or the latest movie).

My antivirus is set up to check the torrents is it enough?
m
l
February 27, 2012 9:15:29 AM

hunuok said:
A few questions:

1. What brand SSD are you using?-Make sure you are using lastest firmware and make sure TRIM is enabled (You can use SSD Tweaker to optimize SSD).
2. How much free space do you have left on your SSD?-You should have 15% free space for good performance.
3. What resolution are you using?
4. What PSU are you using?
5. Your VGA is a little on the weak side IMO.

(sorry for the double post by the way...)

1. Corsair. I'll have a look at SSD Tweaker thanks.
2. 10 out of 60
3. 1920*1080
4. Corsair HX-850W
5. Fair enough ;)  But I should be still able to play this type of game with moderate graphics no?

m
l
February 27, 2012 9:42:26 AM

Quote:

1. Corsair. I'll have a look at SSD Tweaker thanks.
2. 10 out of 60
3. 1920*1080
4. Corsair HX-850W
5. Fair enough ;)  But I should be still able to play this type of game with moderate graphics no?

Your parts are quite good.

As for your VGA, yeah your right.

Is your SSD connected to the Intel Sata ports?

The only thing I can suggest is to check cables, reseat VGA and then reinstall drivers (chipset, LAN, sound etc).
m
l
February 27, 2012 10:20:48 AM

ok well i'll see about that then.

thank you guys for the answers.
m
l
!