Video card causing entire computer to shutdown/reboot

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hey guys,

I recently switched from a HD 6950 to a GTX 570 (Gigabyte GV-N570SO-13I). I've been playing Skyrim, but I'm seeing random complete system crashes, where the system turns off then reboots. I'm wondering what the problem is. I figure it's mostly likely my PSU, however, it's 650W so I figure that would be enough. I didn't have this problem with the HD 6950.

Important note, I am running the Nvidia Beta 290.53 drivers...

I've been running MSI afterburner to monitor the temps on the GPU and I haven't seen any temps above 75C so I don't think thats it. I haven't altered the stock overclocking either.

I've read some other posts online about Skyrim crashing the entire machine, but it's unclear if the game was to blame (not sure why the game would cause that).

Thanks in advance guys!

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

It's BFG, 650W. Does this really require reinstalling Windows?

I don't believe reinstalling windows would help, you would be using the same drivers which you are using now.

I see you have a gigabyte factory oc'd 570 ?

Maybe try to use the drivers from the site from gigabyte, i believe the gigabyte oc versions only work nicely with the reccomended drivers from the GB site.

Also see if there is a bios update on that site for your 570.

I have a 560ti soc which only works smoothly with older drivers comming from the GB site.

Worth a try maybe.

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

I don't have any other game to test this with, but I did test with furmark and the system shuts down when furmark starts...

I'm going to try the Gigabyte drivers to see if that makes a difference.

Is a 650W power supply enough for this card? I have a Core i5 750 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (no additional voltage), 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 3 HDD's, and a Corsair 650D.

That sounds like the same problem i had in the beginning with my 560, even with the Windows performance index ( translated from Dutch OS ) it would shut down and reboot. That was with very old drivers who came with the gpu. After updating with Gigabyte's driver it works flawless. With newer ones from Nvidia site it got weird again, shutting down the color scheme from my desktop and stuff, went back to GB drivers, no problem so far.

650W is enough.

That's power consumption for the entire system, not just the card.

I'd be inclined to think it was the psu, BFG never had much to offer in that arena.

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hey guys, thanks for all the great replys. Using the drivers that came with the video card from GB didn't seem to help. I did some more investigation and I found some people having similar issues with the overclocked card. Some tried changing the clock speeds to the default GTX 570 speeds. I figured I would test this. I downloaded MSI Kombustor and ran it at the GB stock OC. It shut down the computer before I even saw the benchmarking graphics get displayed. I then downclocked the card to Nvidia stock speeds. When running Kombustor again, I was able to see the benchmarking screen for about 5-8 seconds before the machine shut down. So, still not sure if it's the card or my PSU, but this does at least give me some info.

Does anyone have a suggestion for testing if it is indeed my PSU? Should I remove 8GB of RAM temporarily, or maybe downclock my CPU back to normal, unhook some of my system fans?

I'll probably start another post to ask for recommendations for a new PSU.

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hey guys, I removed the overclock on my CPU (3.6-->2.66) and I am now able to run Furmark without the system shutting off. Skyrim still causes the system to shutdown intermittently, but not nearly as often. I ended up buying a new PSU, it should get here today. I'll be sure to post my results after testing everything with my new PSU. It's a Corsair 1200W. Probably overkill but I just wanted extra headroom for possible SLI and for when I upgrade to Ivy Bridge Core i7 and the possibility of significantly more RAM.

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I ended up purchasing a Corsair AX1200. After installing that I'm able to run the various benchmarking tests and play Skyrim without it shutting down. So I think we can be reasonably confident that in this case it was in fact my PSU, even though it was 650W.

That's a great recommendation though Miguel, I definitely could have used it in this situation. I'll try and use it when I'm monitoring my OC'd setup.

jdiamond101163

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Just seen this and am replying only because although this question is old I have had a similar problem - the funny thing is that the very tool that this guy was using to help find the problem was the culprit in my case. MSI afterburner causes my PC to crash when shuting down and when running graphically intensive games. I have removed it from my system and no more issues.

I was searching the web for answers and didn't find any - in the end I worked it out through creating a new account and adding apps followed by a shutdown to find the culprit. So hopefully if anybody is getting these sorts of errors , consider MSI afterburner may be the problem. Remove it completely and then make sure you reboot twice - the first time it will still crash, the second time it should be OK.