Replacing a laptop Turion X2 Rm-77 CPU

pinsight

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
My current laptop, a 3-4 year old HP TouchSmart tx2-1200eo, suddently stopped working today due to CPU failure, I believe, so now I am trying to find a replacement CPU.

According to the LED error codes (the caps lock & num lock blinks) it is a CPU problem. I already tried reseating the CPU by completely disassembling and assembling the laptop - it didn't help.

According to the HP site the current CPU is a "AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-77". This confuses me because on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Turion_microprocessors#Turion_X2_.2F_Turion_X2_Ultra) it says that the RM-77 isn't an ultra version.

My question is what CPU I can replace the current one with. I am confused by what seems to be contradicting information from different sources. On the Wiki page I linked above it seems all those processors in the table use the same socket AND the same socket revision (S1G2) - so one would think I could replace with any of those?

On the other hand on this Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turion_64_X2#Turion_X2_Ultra) it says that "The Turion X2 Ultra processor uses the same socket S1 as its predecessor, Turion 64 X2, but the pinout is different" implying that the two are NOT compatible.

So what processors would be compatible with my current motherboard given it has a Turion X2 RM-77 CPU?

PS: I believe the newer AMD processors using socket s2g3 isn't compatible so I just ignored those completely. I assume that's correct?

pinsight

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

That makes sense, but perhaps they are just missing the info? It seems reasonable that the CPUs named RM-xx are compatible. As far as I know the only difference between for example RM-77 and RM-76 is its max HT clock speed. So naturally I could buy a RM-76 instead of a 77 if I am correct. But I could be wrong.

What I am not sure about at all though is the other types of processors; Ultra and the X2 QL-xx ones. Are they compatible with RM-77?