buying unlocked phone in London

I'll be heading off to the UK in a few days and would like to buy a
cheap unlocked dual-band (900/1800) phone to use while I am in Europe.

Where is a good place in London to buy such a phone?

Heathrow would be most convenient, but I assume that carriers with
shops there (Vodafone, Orange,etc) lock their phones. I need an
unlocked phone, since I'll be going to other countries after the UK
and want to be able to switch SIMs.

So where does one buy unlocked GSM phones in London?

TIA
Sorry for the antispam inconvenience.

Please post reply to: lanesville AT taagloucester.org
5 answers Last reply
More about buying unlocked phone london

    "lister" <lister@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I'll be heading off to the UK in a few days and would like to buy a
    > cheap unlocked dual-band (900/1800) phone to use while I am in Europe.
    >
    > Where is a good place in London to buy such a phone?
    >
    > Heathrow would be most convenient, but I assume that carriers with
    > shops there (Vodafone, Orange,etc) lock their phones. I need an
    > unlocked phone, since I'll be going to other countries after the UK
    > and want to be able to switch SIMs.
    >
    > So where does one buy unlocked GSM phones in London?
    >
    > TIA
    > Sorry for the antispam inconvenience.
    >
    > Please post reply to: lanesville AT taagloucester.org

    New UK Motorola C115 Mobile Phone. Never been Locked.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6395610401

    --

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk
    http://classifieds.nochex.com/viewshop.asp?id=171955516

    In the UK "Cheap" and "Unlocked" don't really go together!

    The Nokia Shop will sell you an unlocked Nokia - but some of them are
    North of £250 (nearly $500 at this time) JUST for the 'phone.

    Will your 'phone not roam?

    Jump off the 'plane - wait until you are inside the airport, turn on
    the 'phone and you will get a text message (SMS) from the carrier you
    are now "roaming" with and your operator logo will change to that
    carrier's logo for as long as you are on their network.

    Or if your 'phone is unlocked and supports the UK frequencies then buy
    a "pay as you go" SIM card for a few £ and top it up on your credit
    card - and then pop it in your 'phone and make calls. This works well
    when your provider does not have a roaming agreement with a provider
    in your area.

    I have seen 02 and Vodafone "pay as you go" SIM cards for sale here in
    the UK for as little as 3.50 GBP - about 7 USD. They are available
    from corner shops, garages, cell 'phone shops etc. Anotherwords they
    are EASY to find in the UK.

    Worst case - you can buy a "pay as you go" handset and SIM package
    from Woolworths starting at 50 GBP (about 100 USD) - this would be
    more than good enough to last you the duration of your vacation here
    in the UK.

    Doesn't help you when you are in the rest of Europe though UNLESS you
    are prepared to roam in Europe with Vodafone or O2 and top up the "pay
    as you go" minutes on your credit card.

    However - costs of roamed calls in Europe on a UK network are going to
    be more expensive than UK calls while in the UK.

    Hope this helps??

    Casper

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:30:29 GMT, lister@nospam.com (lister) wrote:

    >I'll be heading off to the UK in a few days and would like to buy a
    >cheap unlocked dual-band (900/1800) phone to use while I am in Europe.
    >
    >Where is a good place in London to buy such a phone?
    >
    >Heathrow would be most convenient, but I assume that carriers with
    >shops there (Vodafone, Orange,etc) lock their phones. I need an
    >unlocked phone, since I'll be going to other countries after the UK
    >and want to be able to switch SIMs.
    >
    >So where does one buy unlocked GSM phones in London?
    >
    >TIA
    >Sorry for the antispam inconvenience.
    >
    >Please post reply to: lanesville AT taagloucester.org

    Casper

    Thanks for the helpful post.

    I can't roam with my US phone in Europe (wrong frequencies), so will
    need another phone. From what you say about prices in the UK, I think
    I'll pick up a cheap unlocked 900/1800 phone in the US (they are
    available for around 50 GBP).

    Then I'll buy pay-as-you-go SIMs when I arrive in the UK . Glad to
    hear they are cheap and easy to find

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:55:09 GMT, no@way.com (Casper) wrote:

    >In the UK "Cheap" and "Unlocked" don't really go together!
    >
    >The Nokia Shop will sell you an unlocked Nokia - but some of them are
    >North of £250 (nearly $500 at this time) JUST for the 'phone.
    >
    >Will your 'phone not roam?
    >
    >Jump off the 'plane - wait until you are inside the airport, turn on
    >the 'phone and you will get a text message (SMS) from the carrier you
    >are now "roaming" with and your operator logo will change to that
    >carrier's logo for as long as you are on their network.
    >
    >Or if your 'phone is unlocked and supports the UK frequencies then buy
    >a "pay as you go" SIM card for a few £ and top it up on your credit
    >card - and then pop it in your 'phone and make calls. This works well
    >when your provider does not have a roaming agreement with a provider
    >in your area.
    >
    >I have seen 02 and Vodafone "pay as you go" SIM cards for sale here in
    >the UK for as little as 3.50 GBP - about 7 USD. They are available
    >from corner shops, garages, cell 'phone shops etc. Anotherwords they
    >are EASY to find in the UK.
    >
    >Worst case - you can buy a "pay as you go" handset and SIM package
    >from Woolworths starting at 50 GBP (about 100 USD) - this would be
    >more than good enough to last you the duration of your vacation here
    >in the UK.
    >
    >Doesn't help you when you are in the rest of Europe though UNLESS you
    >are prepared to roam in Europe with Vodafone or O2 and top up the "pay
    >as you go" minutes on your credit card.
    >
    >However - costs of roamed calls in Europe on a UK network are going to
    >be more expensive than UK calls while in the UK.
    >
    >Hope this helps??
    >
    >Casper
    >

    >On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:30:29 GMT, lister@nospam.com (lister) wrote:
    >
    >>I'll be heading off to the UK in a few days and would like to buy a
    >>cheap unlocked dual-band (900/1800) phone to use while I am in Europe.
    >>
    >>Where is a good place in London to buy such a phone?
    >>
    >>Heathrow would be most convenient, but I assume that carriers with
    >>shops there (Vodafone, Orange,etc) lock their phones. I need an
    >>unlocked phone, since I'll be going to other countries after the UK
    >>and want to be able to switch SIMs.
    >>
    >>So where does one buy unlocked GSM phones in London?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>Sorry for the antispam inconvenience.
    >>
    >>Please post reply to: lanesville AT taagloucester.org

    Sorry for the antispam inconvenience.

    Please post reply to: lister AT taagloucester.org

    Lister - you are welcome!

    Try this link:

    http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_main.asp

    It has a link to search stores by location (post code is similar to
    the USA's ZIP code system but is letters and numbers so a London post
    code may look like NW10 2AB where NW is North West London - I made
    this post code up by the way it may or may not exist) and gives you an
    idea of what is available here in the UK and at what price.

    Phones 4U is just one of MANY chains here in the UK that offer the
    sort of thing you are after - just so happens they were top of the
    Google search!

    Casper

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 19:26:32 GMT, lister@nospam.com (lister) wrote:

    >Casper
    >
    >Thanks for the helpful post.
    >
    >I can't roam with my US phone in Europe (wrong frequencies), so will
    >need another phone. From what you say about prices in the UK, I think
    >I'll pick up a cheap unlocked 900/1800 phone in the US (they are
    >available for around 50 GBP).
    >
    >Then I'll buy pay-as-you-go SIMs when I arrive in the UK . Glad to
    >hear they are cheap and easy to find
    >

    >On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:55:09 GMT, no@way.com (Casper) wrote:
    >
    >>In the UK "Cheap" and "Unlocked" don't really go together!
    >>
    >>The Nokia Shop will sell you an unlocked Nokia - but some of them are
    >>North of £250 (nearly $500 at this time) JUST for the 'phone.
    >>
    >>Will your 'phone not roam?
    >>
    >>Jump off the 'plane - wait until you are inside the airport, turn on
    >>the 'phone and you will get a text message (SMS) from the carrier you
    >>are now "roaming" with and your operator logo will change to that
    >>carrier's logo for as long as you are on their network.
    >>
    >>Or if your 'phone is unlocked and supports the UK frequencies then buy
    >>a "pay as you go" SIM card for a few £ and top it up on your credit
    >>card - and then pop it in your 'phone and make calls. This works well
    >>when your provider does not have a roaming agreement with a provider
    >>in your area.
    >>
    >>I have seen 02 and Vodafone "pay as you go" SIM cards for sale here in
    >>the UK for as little as 3.50 GBP - about 7 USD. They are available
    >>from corner shops, garages, cell 'phone shops etc. Anotherwords they
    >>are EASY to find in the UK.
    >>
    >>Worst case - you can buy a "pay as you go" handset and SIM package
    >>from Woolworths starting at 50 GBP (about 100 USD) - this would be
    >>more than good enough to last you the duration of your vacation here
    >>in the UK.
    >>
    >>Doesn't help you when you are in the rest of Europe though UNLESS you
    >>are prepared to roam in Europe with Vodafone or O2 and top up the "pay
    >>as you go" minutes on your credit card.
    >>
    >>However - costs of roamed calls in Europe on a UK network are going to
    >>be more expensive than UK calls while in the UK.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps??
    >>
    >>Casper
    >>

    >>On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:30:29 GMT, lister@nospam.com (lister) wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'll be heading off to the UK in a few days and would like to buy a
    >>>cheap unlocked dual-band (900/1800) phone to use while I am in Europe.
    >>>
    >>>Where is a good place in London to buy such a phone?
    >>>
    >>>Heathrow would be most convenient, but I assume that carriers with
    >>>shops there (Vodafone, Orange,etc) lock their phones. I need an
    >>>unlocked phone, since I'll be going to other countries after the UK
    >>>and want to be able to switch SIMs.
    >>>
    >>>So where does one buy unlocked GSM phones in London?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>Sorry for the antispam inconvenience.
    >>>
    >>>Please post reply to: lanesville AT taagloucester.org
    >>

    >Sorry for the antispam inconvenience.
    >
    >Please post reply to: lister AT taagloucester.org

    Casper --

    Tnx again

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 00:48:39 GMT, no@way.com (Casper) wrote:

    >Lister - you are welcome!
    >
    >Try this link:
    >
    >http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_payg_main.asp
    >
    >It has a link to search stores by location (post code is similar to
    >the USA's ZIP code system but is letters and numbers so a London post
    >code may look like NW10 2AB where NW is North West London - I made
    >this post code up by the way it may or may not exist) and gives you an
    >idea of what is available here in the UK and at what price.
    >
    >Phones 4U is just one of MANY chains here in the UK that offer the
    >sort of thing you are after - just so happens they were top of the
    >Google search!
    >
    >Casper

    Sorry for the antispam inconvenience.

    Please post reply to: lister AT taagloucester.org

GSM Phones