Full tower and psu cable lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

strandiam

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hello. I am about to order parts for my first build in a handful of years and was worried about my psu cable lengths. I am a bit worried about needing some extenders but I don't really want to spend $20 on a couple cables I may not end up using at all. Here is the deal...

1. I am building in a full tower for the first time.

2. I am building with bottom mount psu for the first time.

3. I will be reusing my old power supply due to budget and the fact that it is good and still working. The cables are about 18"

So, do newer power supplies have longer cables because of the prevalence of bottom mount psu and cable routing holes? Will I need extenders to rout cables? What about if I skip routing and take the shortest route? That would be fine for now since I will at least have a running pc and not have to spend $20 on cables I may not use.

My case and psu are Rosewill Thor v2 and Corsair HX series
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Solution
Not sure if corsair varies their PSU's in cable lengths, but I've had the TX and AX series and I didn't have trouble with that ATX connector. Your case may be 23'' tall, but remember, your PSU sits a few inches above, plus the cables come out at around the middle of the PSU. Then the routing hole is a few inches above that and the other hole should be right above the motherboard, not at the top of the case, so your connector is maybe a foot or a bit more away. You will lose like 3-4'' of cable due to the bend to get behind the case, depending on the flexibility of that cable or how fast of a heart rate you can handle as you bend that wire hoping you won't break the connector.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

I can't talk about that particular PSU but my old one wouldn't fit in your case because buttom mounted + larger case = deadly combo.

But is this 500w PSU realy powerfull enough for your new build ?

strandiam

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Thanks for the input. Yes, the psu is fine for now. I am not really building anything that needs a full tower case, just a standard single gpu computer. I normally get mid-towers but I liked the Thor and it went on sale for $100 which is only $10 more than the Blackhawk I was planning on getting. I will be getting a new psu eventually but my budget dictates a few reused parts for now.

strandiam

Honorable
May 9, 2012

That's what I want to do, but I didn't want to get in a situation where I needed the cables and couldn't find the right ones at a local store and had to wait for shipping. I will probably just skip buying extensions and hope Microcenter has them. They have some listed on their website but they have "1 in stock", "4 in stock", etc.

strandiam

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Found a ruler. My cables are about 18". The case is about 23" tall so I think the 8-pin cpu cable will probably make it in front of the motherboard but not through the routing holes. Just estimating though.

InvalidError

Titan
18" for the main ATX power connector should be plenty in most cases but 18" for the ATX12V connector which is frequently located near the top-left corner might not leave much slack to route wiring through cable management areas within the case depending on how well things line up.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Not sure if corsair varies their PSU's in cable lengths, but I've had the TX and AX series and I didn't have trouble with that ATX connector. Your case may be 23'' tall, but remember, your PSU sits a few inches above, plus the cables come out at around the middle of the PSU. Then the routing hole is a few inches above that and the other hole should be right above the motherboard, not at the top of the case, so your connector is maybe a foot or a bit more away. You will lose like 3-4'' of cable due to the bend to get behind the case, depending on the flexibility of that cable or how fast of a heart rate you can handle as you bend that wire hoping you won't break the connector.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.