Sign in with
Your question

First time building a high-end gaming system

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2012 2:47:24 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: Around the 2400-2850$.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, and maybe in the future some graphics stuff. And the basic stuff like web browsing, etc. etc.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, headset, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Official sites for the parts(IE. Asus.com, Corsair.com)

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Corsair Memories(I like how they look :D ), Asus Mobos, WD HDD.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Full HD

This is the build I am thinking about, tell me if there is a need of change:

CPU: i7 2600k

CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100

MOBO: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blue LP(2x4GB)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

SSD: Crucial m4 2.5'' 64GB SSD MLC SATA III CT064M4SSD2

GPU: Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7970

Blu-Ray: Some LG Blu Ray reader

Case: Thermaltake RX-I

PSU: High Current Gamer 750W Active PFC 13.5cm PSU HCG-750

February 27, 2012 3:04:49 PM

If gaming is your priority you don't need the 2600K - you could drop that to the 2500K and save money there. I'd also advise heavily against getting an H100 - you can achieve the same results with a strong air cooler like the Noctua D14: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good choices all around on storage - I have pretty much the same setup on my workstation.

For case I'd suggest the Corsair Carbide 500R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And then the 7970 is an excellent choice but I'd recommend a different brand, something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 27, 2012 3:15:28 PM

well if youve got THAT much $$$ than heres the build 4 u

case: cooler master haf x
awesome case with lots of features and the best case 4 200$
mobo: asus maximus IV extreme-z z68
exellent mobo and rog BUILT 4 oc'ing
cpu: intel i7 2600k
since youve got that much money it would be just mean to put an i5 in it
cpu cooler: cooler master hyper 212 evo
great cooler very popular very cheap and can handle overclocks
video card: 2x sapphire amd radeon hd 7970
its the best single gpu card thats in the market on the planet. 'nuf said.
ram: g.skill ripjaws x series 8gb
i know you say you want corsair but these look cool too
hhd: western digital caviar blak 2tb
if you dont need that much space you can get 1.5tb 1tb or 500gb of space and its very reliable
ssd: corsair force series 3 60gb
cheap and reliable
psu: corsair ax850
very nice psu very reliable and modular which is a plus obviously
optical drive: lg black 12x
if you dont care about blu-ray than you can get the sony 24x multi

total price: 2650$

and you've got some money left over to buy some cable management and cooling accessories

edit: also you could get a noctua nh-d14 cooler instead its alot more powerfull
Related resources
February 27, 2012 3:26:48 PM

The build you suggested is waaaaaaaay out of my budget(according to the prices in Israel)

@G-Unit1111 thanks for the tips, but isn't the Overseer RX-I better than the Corsair 500R? And I read reviews that said Gigabyte is better than sapphire when it comes to the 7970. And I will take the I5 2500K instead of the I7 2600k.
February 27, 2012 3:35:32 PM

merphal said:
LOL I think you're a bit unfamiliar with the prices in Israel. What I have listed is about the top I can handle budget wise.

If there's a store that you buy from I could suggest a better system - knowing local availability will help to determine what you're able to buy vs. the suggested system.
February 27, 2012 3:54:21 PM

This is true, but i think he should go with the original setup with the 2600K, because he can handle anything in his path for the next 2-3 years to come without much worry. And if he ever needed to do video coding or any other muti tasking computer eating aplications he'd be set. With Overclocking a ROG (republic of gamers) board is a must. the H100 will be a nice cooler but here is the parts id change

Case: Cooler Master Haf X or Cooler Master Trooper. both are full towers and support a dual 120mm rad. also the Corsair cases are nice as well but thermal take isnt m first case brand to pick.

Also Power Supply

Never Skimp on a power supply, otherwise you may find your self breaking down on the job often and having to spend money for a new one. a Corsair Power Supply perhaps a 650 watt will do plenty until you get more Video Cards. a Single high end card will handle you find with the 2600K holding its own
February 27, 2012 3:55:15 PM

And why are everyone against the Corsair coolers? I am not taking an air cooler tho, since they are way noisier than the Liquid coolers. And I hate Air coolers(I have a bad experience with them). Another option is the Antec Kuhler 920 or something like that
!