Anyone play Arx Fatalis?

I picked it up used yesterday, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm
thinking of buying the PC version and using that instead, though.
It's a lot easier for me to maneuver a cursor around the screen
with a mouse than with the XBox controller. It's only a big problem
in combat, but it is annoying. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Anyway, fun game. Not great, but fun. Makes a nice break from
KOTOR II, since I started that immediately after finishing the
first one and I'm KOTORed out for the moment.

Pete

Arx Fatalis is actually a great game, with a lot of stuff to do. it
predates Fable, and that's obvious. But, it resembles Morrowind in many
ways. The toughest part of the game is that it all takes place
underground. Ducking through old caves and mines actually can make you
a bit claustrophobic after about 20 hours of gameplay.

I had a lot of fun with this game, though admittedly, I never finished
it. I got about 7/8 through and there was just way too much to do and
remember, that I bailed and moved on. I got it for cheap a while back,
so I don't feel like it was a waste by any means. I've gone back in a
few times, but it's all forgotten, so I don't stay long. Fun to visit
tho.

My biggest piece of advice for you is to visit the GAMEFAQ site and
review the FAQ for this game.

Someone send me a PDF of the game's Strategy Guide (which I don't think
was ever published in hard copy), and it revealed just how massive the
scope of this game is. It's actually mind-blowing how big this game is,
in part because it's a dungeon crawler and not an outdoor environment
game.

The PDF had maps of all the levels and some strategy stuff in it as
well.

Anyhow, you'll get used to using the controller, but just be ready...
it's a big game with a ton of stuff to do. I really enjoyed it, and I
hope you do to!

Fizzlestix wrote:
> Arx Fatalis is actually a great game, with a lot of stuff to do. it
> predates Fable, and that's obvious. But, it resembles Morrowind in many
> ways. The toughest part of the game is that it all takes place
> underground.

I keep looking at this game thinking I'll like it, but I hated Stonekeep
which was all undergound (I think it was pretty boring). Can you
compare it to Stonekeep at all?

Swi

"Fizzlestix" <fizzlestix@metallica.com> wrote in message
> Arx Fatalis is actually a great game, with a lot of stuff to do. it
> predates Fable, and that's obvious. But, it resembles Morrowind in many
> ways. The toughest part of the game is that it all takes place
> underground. Ducking through old caves and mines actually can make you
> a bit claustrophobic after about 20 hours of gameplay.
>
> I had a lot of fun with this game, though admittedly, I never finished
> it. I got about 7/8 through and there was just way too much to do and
> remember, that I bailed and moved on. I got it for cheap a while back,
> so I don't feel like it was a waste by any means. I've gone back in a
> few times, but it's all forgotten, so I don't stay long. Fun to visit
> tho.
>
> My biggest piece of advice for you is to visit the GAMEFAQ site and
> review the FAQ for this game.
>
> Someone send me a PDF of the game's Strategy Guide (which I don't think
> was ever published in hard copy), and it revealed just how massive the
> scope of this game is. It's actually mind-blowing how big this game is,
> in part because it's a dungeon crawler and not an outdoor environment
> game.
>
> The PDF had maps of all the levels and some strategy stuff in it as
> well.
>
> Anyhow, you'll get used to using the controller, but just be ready...
> it's a big game with a ton of stuff to do. I really enjoyed it, and I
> hope you do to!

I finished Ultima Underworld on the PC and enjoyed it alot, and AF seems to
be very similar, but I do have reservations about the control scheme,
especially after reading your post... Perhaps I should just get the PC
version...

- Cryo

sorry, i never played stonekeep. but i will say, if you found the all
underground scheme a dislike, then you may not care for arx. it's one
of those games that if you enjoy mostly wandering around, or applying
cheat codes to be superior to just do as you please, or if you enjoy
long, roundabout quests that seem to take forever, then you'll like it.
i enjoy those kinds of games, so for me it was a blast. there's a lot
of mysterious goings-on to uncover. the developers put a lot of heart
into this game, and it rarely leaves you feeling that you've run out of
things to do.

hope that helps