Sync my laptop to my pc

katlap1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Hello,
I'd like to sync my laptop to my pc. My pc is connected to the inet via modem, and my laptop through the wifi device connected to the top of the modem. Is it possible to sync the two? I'd like to be able to access both my pc (& my external hard drive connected to my pc) from my laptop. From what I've read, it's not possible unless both computers are on a wireless connection. True?
Thank you.

I'm using Windows XP on my pc, and Windows 7 on my laptop.

Solution
I’m going to assume based on your description that you’re using a combo dsl modem+router, and that the PC is connected by wire to a LAN port on the router, and the laptop is using wireless to that same router.

It doesn't matter whether your devices are wired or wireless, if they're successfully connected to the router, they can communicate w/ one another. However, there can be non-network related issues that prevent access between devices (e.g., OS level security).

If you want to “sync” the PC and laptop, you need to use appropriate software (e.g., SyncToy, Second Copy, Robocopy). And of course make the folders/file available between the two devices using Windows file/printer sharing (that’s where the security aspects come into...
I’m going to assume based on your description that you’re using a combo dsl modem+router, and that the PC is connected by wire to a LAN port on the router, and the laptop is using wireless to that same router.

It doesn't matter whether your devices are wired or wireless, if they're successfully connected to the router, they can communicate w/ one another. However, there can be non-network related issues that prevent access between devices (e.g., OS level security).

If you want to “sync” the PC and laptop, you need to use appropriate software (e.g., SyncToy, Second Copy, Robocopy). And of course make the folders/file available between the two devices using Windows file/printer sharing (that’s where the security aspects come into play). If you want to make the external HD available to the laptop as well, here again you would need to share that device using Windows file/printer sharing.

Solution

katlap1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

Thank you for your quick response...You're correct in your assumptions as to my connections. I will investigate the software you recommend and see what I can do with the file sharing security aspects.
Sincerely,
katlap1