Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
hey guys first of all how are you ? :D
so i have a pc with these specs
core 2 due e 8400
4 gb ram
gigabyte 945GCM
zotac gtx 460 se

and i had a 700 watts PSU but it just got broken and i have to bring a new one but to be honest i cant afford a good PSU (no money :( ) and i have a 300 and another 200 watts PSU ( connected to an amplifier ) so can i connect the PC on the 300 Watt PSU and connect the card to the 200 Watts PSU or it will dmg the PC or the card ?

so is this will work or it will not and i have to wait till i got money ?
and if it work will it be bad for the pc and the card (i just bought the card and spend everything i have on it -.- )

thanks alot guys and have a good day

Solution
Depending on the quality of the 300W PSU, you may get by using it for your system temporarily. The GTX 460 1GB will draw less than 13A at max demand; something you will rarely reach. (Not sure about the se verion, but it would be less if anything)

Now, about using 2 PSUs. It's technically possible. Here is an article with an explanation:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1698/1/
You could run your system off the main PSU, but use the 2nd PSU just to power the 6-pin graphic card connector. But you would have to short a blk and the grn wire in the 24 pin connector to get the 2nd PSU to power up. Or, use one of the adapers shown in the article.

But only do that as a last resort if the 300W shuts down or re-starts...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Depending on the quality of the 300W PSU, you may get by using it for your system temporarily. The GTX 460 1GB will draw less than 13A at max demand; something you will rarely reach. (Not sure about the se verion, but it would be less if anything)

Now, about using 2 PSUs. It's technically possible. Here is an article with an explanation:
You could run your system off the main PSU, but use the 2nd PSU just to power the 6-pin graphic card connector. But you would have to short a blk and the grn wire in the 24 pin connector to get the 2nd PSU to power up. Or, use one of the adapers shown in the article.

But only do that as a last resort if the 300W shuts down or re-starts while your using the machine. That would be a sign the PSU can't keep up.

Solution

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Short the green and a black pin on the 24pin connector of the PSU that isn't plugged into the motherboard so that it supplies power. Sounds like an idea, people do it with really high end builds so I can't see why it wouldn't work with this.

killer512

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

But only do that as a last resort if the 300W shuts down or re-starts while your using the machine. That would be a sign the PSU can't keep up.

thanks alot guys for these replys

but i do have one question MR clutchc

so i dont have to use any of the connections in the article but i have to power up the psu by making a short circuit between the green and black wire ?? ( idont know if your familiar with how to connect an amp in home coz i guess am doing the same thing now to power up the power supply am connecting the green and black wire ) so is that is and then i can connect it directly to the Graphics Card ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Basically, yes. Shorting the green wire to chassis ground (blk) tells the PSU to powerup. (Of course, you still have to turn on the switch) That's the same signal the motherboard sends the PSU. If this is going to be a temporary fix, no problem. But I wouldn't run the system permanently like that.
The first adapter shown with the 2 female/1 male 24 pin connectors is a better way to go. The adapter isn't very expensive. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian_Li_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html You may even find cheaper ones on ebay.

Search for videos using dual power supplies. You'll be surprised at how many folks do that.

Hi :)

Amazing the risks some people will take giving advice....

I told the OP it wouldnt work for a VERY good reason.....the safety of his family who live with him!!!!

MAKE DAMN SURE YOU HAVE SOME FIRE EXTINGUISHERS HANDY IF YOU TRY THIS !!!!!

To the people that have advised him (an electrical amateur), how will you feel if he kills his family with an electrical fire ?

All the best Brett :)

cobra11

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007

sheeze lol they just go buy a 1000 watt and be done with it lol, but i def wouldnt keep this going 24/7 or anythin like that, this is a temporary option! not long term

cobra11

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007

very true, hooking up the powersupply's like that is not recommended and on such hard ware I wouldnt even think of it, if the parts go out then your out not only the powersupply but also everything else (maybe if your lucky not all of it) but what I would recommened is pulling the new graphics card out! and if it has onboard video use it!!! that board has onboard use it untill you get a new powersupply, u should be able to scrape by on a 300 watt with the onboard

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Just for the record, I didn't recommend anything. I simply answered his question that technically it could be done. This has been a standard hobbyist's procedure for a long long time. I said it shouldn't be used on a permanent basis, just as a temporary fix. (Or as a bench learning experience.) And feeding the +12v power to the card's PCIe header from another source isn't going to 'blow up' anything. Fire extinguishers... OMG! Give me a break.

Dual Power Supplies: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/24/black_art_dual_psus_in_your_enthusiast_pc

Hi :)

He knows NOTHING about electrical systems at all.....

You keep saying OMG ....if he burns his house down with his family in it....

In the UK where I am , we are legally responsible for advice we give in situations like this, and I have to have special insurance to cover the staff in my shops....

I sometimes wonder if people who give advice here EVER consider what COULD HAPPEN.... I am not saying WILL...I am saying COULD...

As an example, people give lots of advice HERE about overclocking (NOT ME) BUT never tell them they COULD blow the cpu or mobo...

But I see the results , when people bring those machines into my shops with blown cpus....or melted tracks ...

All the best Brett :)

This thread was a good read for Brett's replies alone, lol. Take a deep breath and relax, man.

For what it's worth, I've actually done what the OP is describing quite some time ago, and taking all of the requisite safety precautions, it's absolutely fine.

Brett's point is just be sure you know what you're doing so you don't screw things up catastrophically and cause a major problem.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Years ago I had a pre-built system with a weak PSU, but it had a PCIex16 slot. I happened to have another PSU on the shelf just about as weak. With them both connected in dual, I was able to use a 'real' graphics card and enjoy gaming at high frame rates. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

killer512

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
hey guys thanks alot for this great replys and for your concern about my safety after all this talk to be honest i decided not to do it coz i dont want to dmg my PC (cant afford new one as u all know ) and thanks alot for all the people how helped me dont want anybody to think am wasting there time or anything

another time thanks alot for all the solution i saw a couple vidz that helped me but i dont want anything bad to happened :)

and just for the info am a first year Electrical Engineering student so am trying to think out side the box thats all but if its going to do anything bad then i wont do it for sure

Best Regards all
and thanks alot for your help

note maybe ill try it after the PC gets old :D