Alan

Please pardon my ignorance but does not having your
desktop clutered with program shortcuts equate to a
faster boot time.

Thankyou Alan.

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:50:25 +0100, Alan wrote:

> Please pardon my ignorance but does not having your
> desktop clutered with program shortcuts equate to a
> faster boot time.
>
> Thankyou Alan.

Have seen the advice given to reduce their numbers for increased
performance but I haven't seen any significant performance difference
between a few desktop shortcuts/a lot of desktop shortcuts in XP. I tend to
have a cluttered desktop (many internet shortcuts for articles I want to go
back and read at a leisurely pace) but review its contents on a weekly
basis to clean it up. My reasons for doing this are more for organization
and ease of use rather than performance.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

"Alan" <alan@suteal.f2s.com> wrote
| Please pardon my ignorance but does not having your
| desktop clutered with program shortcuts equate to a
| faster boot time.
|
| Thankyou Alan.

What does "faster time" mean in standard English?

DarkKnight

no! however, the number of statup programs affects startup times.
So basically if you don't need a program to be running all the time kill it.
most good programs have an option to disable startup with windows,
otherwise it's a matter of finding and disabling the startup. they'll
either be in the startup folder (in your menus) or in the registry.
you can run msconfig to find where they are started from