Sign in with
Your question

CPU Fan runs at High-Speed.

Tags:
  • Cooler Master
  • Components
Last response: in Components
June 14, 2012 5:56:47 PM

Ok guys i hope you can help me.I just opened my PC to exchange My dvd-rom for a DVD-RW.But suprisingly i didn't exchange it.So i closed my pc's cover,and what you know the pc wont boot,the desktop is black,and the Fan runs at a incredible high-speed.So this is what i tried,also my computer specs:
I have a IBM ThinkCentre M52 MoBo.
A pentium 4 3,4 GHZ processor with HT enabled
A 300 watt power supply
40 GB primary and 120 GB secondary hard drives.
2 GB of ram
Nvidia GeForce GT240 1 GB SDDR3 Vram
and A dual boot Win XP and Win 7 installed.
the fan rotates at a incredibly high speed,and it won't stop.I'm forced to turn it off the power cable.If anyone can help any help would be appreciated.

More about : cpu fan runs high speed

June 14, 2012 6:11:46 PM

Assuming it was working before you opened the case, did you happen to bump the main ATX power cable?
June 14, 2012 6:12:08 PM

Check that you didn't pull a cable loose. Check the 4 pin/8-pin CPU power cable. Were you grounded against ESD when you got near your motherboard?
Related resources
June 14, 2012 6:20:22 PM

Ok checked the cables and unplugged and then plugged them back in.Didn't work.
unplugged the ram and plugged it back in.Didn't work.
then i removed my whole cpu fan and blowed it out.A lots of dust came out.Then i put the cpu fan back on the cpu,and that didn't work either.
BTW the computer worked just fine when i turned it off to remove the dvd rom.
June 14, 2012 6:20:34 PM

Ok checked the cables and unplugged and then plugged them back in.Didn't work.
unplugged the ram and plugged it back in.Didn't work.
then i removed my whole cpu fan and blowed it out.A lots of dust came out.Then i put the cpu fan back on the cpu,and that didn't work either.
BTW the computer worked just fine when i turned it off to remove the dvd rom.
June 14, 2012 6:30:58 PM

also i have a 4 pin cpu connector.I also unplugged it.Then back in,also it didn't work.
June 14, 2012 7:57:23 PM

thanks for your replies.but all i did to fix it is to reset my bios to factory settings.i pulled the CMOS BATTERY out and then just put it back and the fan stopped spinning like crazy.but now i can't boot to my os.
June 14, 2012 8:51:20 PM

You might have to reset the boot order so it boots from hard drive and not cd drive.
June 14, 2012 8:58:07 PM

Engima said:
You might have to reset the boot order so it boots from hard drive and not cd drive.

I'd leave the optical drive as the first boot device. That way he can boot from a CD/DVD.
June 14, 2012 9:00:22 PM

Go through your BIOS and make sure the default settings aren't keeping the O/S from booting. You may have to chnage some settings to your liking. Do you have a backup of your last BIOS settings stored on floppy or flash drive?
June 14, 2012 9:09:33 PM

No.I don't have a backup.Because i don't have a Floppy Drive installed.It's not neccesary to me.But only the problem is.When it gets to boot the Windows it stays at the screen where it says "Choose your OS" I choose Windows XP (Professional SP3) and it won't boot up.Also when i choose Windows 7 (Ultimate SP1) it also restarts so if you have any suggestions please post them.
By the way.I left my boot drive to DVD/CD rom because when i insert a windows installation disk it instantly boots up the setup.I would not like to select my hard drive as my primary boot device.
June 14, 2012 9:12:35 PM

also one thing that i noticed that the computer beeps before it gets to the os selection screen.What could that Mean?
June 15, 2012 7:53:19 PM

kikok012 said:
also one thing that i noticed that the computer beeps before it gets to the os selection screen.What could that Mean?

A single beep means all is well.
June 15, 2012 7:55:28 PM

I think the dual boot got messed up when you reset your BIOS. How is your XP/Win7 dual boot set up? Do you have 1 drive with 2 partitions or 2 drives.

When you had your case open to change the DVD drive (that you changed you mind on doing), did you unplug/re-plug in any drive cables?
June 16, 2012 9:03:53 PM

yeah the dual boot was messed up.First when i entered windows 7 it send me a warning of the windows not being genuine.But it was genuine before the problems.Now i reinstalled the whole pc without dual boot.I installed windows xp sp3 only.The pc works now.But one thing is that my windows gets restarted without any warning and then shows the message "Windows has recovered from a serious error".How can i fix that?
June 17, 2012 2:40:10 AM

Are you saying the machine re-boots itself?
June 17, 2012 9:14:03 PM

No when playing games the screen goes black at an instant,and then it starts again and shows a message "Windows has recovered from a serious error".I have the most recent Service Pack (sp3) downloaded from microsoft support,also i have all .net frameworks installed (1.1,2.0,3.0,3.5,3.5 cllient profile,4.0) all are downloaded from microsoft,also all my video card,sound card,and other drivers are installed.I have read somewhere that the windows xp sometimes restarts then shows the recovered from serious error message due to paging file.could this be true?
June 20, 2012 8:27:24 PM

If anyone can help please reply!
June 27, 2012 5:31:34 PM

Since you have recently re-installed XP and the problem persists, I would be curious if fresh installing Win7 instead changes anything.
!