Sign in with
Your question

PSU worked fine for a month, then...

Last response: in Components
June 14, 2012 6:28:25 PM

PSU is a Thermaltake TR2 600w. It worked fine for a month, never smelled, as an upgrade to HP desktop(AMD Phenom II 820) with a Nvidia GTX 560ti. Last night I swapped it in to my new build MOBO: Asus P8H61-M-PRO, CPU: i5-2320 with the same GTX 560ti.

After about an hour and a half of installing Windows 7 and optimizing it for an SSD, I smelled a strong "Burning Electronics" smell. I shut it down and trace the smell back to my PSU. I let it cool down and it turned back on just fine. I ran it for another 30 min, no problems. Then I set Steam to download my games and left it running all night. No problems, was still running just fine when I got up in the morning. The original burned smell lingered in my office and hallway all night and I could still distinctly smell it this morning. The smell certainly wasn’t as bad as the night before even after running all night.

Was it just burning off some glue( or something else) or is it on its deathbead(Yay, RMA)?

More about : psu worked fine month

a c 1177 ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 7:40:58 PM

If the TR2 600W was working properly there should never have been any electrical burning smell.

Do you have the W0388RU or TR-600P model?
m
l
June 14, 2012 7:52:02 PM

ko888 said:
If the TR2 600W was working properly there should never have been any electrical burning smell.

Do you have the W0388RU or TR-600P model?

W0388RU from Best Buy :( 
m
l
Related resources
a c 1177 ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 7:56:09 PM

johnnychuttz said:
W0388RU from Best Buy :( 

That's the now discontinued junk model made my hec/compucase for Thermaltake.
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:03:54 PM

ko888 said:
That's the now discontinued junk model made my hec/compucase for Thermaltake.

:lol:  Great, that's pretty funny.

Would this be a better alternative? It reviews much better on Newegg and Amazon. Forgive me for continuing to buy BB junk. Good friend of mine is the General manager of my local Best Buy and gives me his discount. I'll take back the thermaltake.

Corsair - Gaming Series 700-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply

m
l
June 14, 2012 8:13:48 PM

yes thats a better one, its a 80 plus certified, id still prob look for maybe a bronze or gold, lol but thats me, I like to have the leg room to upgrade for future stuff
m
l
a c 1177 ) Power supply
June 14, 2012 8:17:23 PM

johnnychuttz said:
:lol:  Great, that's pretty funny.

Would this be a better alternative? It reviews much better on Newegg and Amazon. Forgive me for continuing to buy BB junk. Good friend of mine is the General manager of my local Best Buy and gives me his discount. I'll take back the thermaltake.

Corsair - Gaming Series 700-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply

That's the recently discontinued model.

It's been replaced with this new one that has gained an extra 2 Amps of capacity on its +12V rail:
m
l
!