Change Name

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how to change the name on my
computer. The name that is there now is the previous
owner and I would like to change it to mine.

It says that it is a windows system file and it cannot be
moved or renamed.
2 answers Last reply
More about change name

    Karyn;
    This will change what is shown under Properties for My Computer:
    Line 7 Right column "Change registered owner..."

    For the account, the easiest way is to create a new account then copy
    the data from the old to new account:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
    Once you are sure the new account is OK, the old account can be safely
    deleted from User Accounts in Control Panel.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Karyn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could anyone tell me how to change the name on my
    > computer. The name that is there now is the previous
    > owner and I would like to change it to mine.
    >
    > It says that it is a windows system file and it cannot be
    > moved or renamed.

    Windows 2000/XP ·
    Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE). ·
    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion. ·
    To change the values of the RegisteredOrganization,
    RegisteredOwner, or ProductId, simply double-click on
    them. ·
    Note: This will only change the registered user
    information for Windows, not for the applications on your
    system.