feedtheduck

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hi, I've been looking for a processor for my first computer build, and the i5-3470 seems like a good deal. It is the same price as the i5-3450, but it is clocked .1 GHz higher.

My first question is, why can't I find it anywhere? A google and newegg search brings up no actual results to buy. It is listed on intel's website, but aside from that, it's like it mysteriously disappeared.

Another question: What is the difference between the i5-3450 and the i5-3470? They are technically listed at the same price, but the 3470 is noticeably better. Who would buy the 3450 then?

Finally, on websites like Anandtech, although it says the 3450 and 3470 are $184 (which i'm assuming is the MSRP), the 3450 on newegg and amazon is priced at $199. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116506. I'm just wondering why these cpus are so overpriced.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just a new, curious pc builder!

Solution
Not MSRP. Those prices would be a OEM tray CPUs in lots of 1000.
The boxed retail version higher for parts in high demand early on it's life cycle.

It's not unusual for Intel to be supplying more of one version than another. Usually, for reasons having to do with making more money for Intel
Not MSRP. Those prices would be a OEM tray CPUs in lots of 1000.
The boxed retail version higher for parts in high demand early on it's life cycle.

It's not unusual for Intel to be supplying more of one version than another. Usually, for reasons having to do with making more money for Intel

Solution
You're right about the 3470 not showing up in any retail channels ATM.
Best guess is all the output is going to the big OEMs.
Once they get stocked up you might see some retail boxes showing up.

QNFXZ.png

feedtheduck

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

So let me get this straight, if it is an OEM cpu, then it doesn't have a heatsink and a fan? But there ARE retail boxes for the 3470, which DO include a heatsink and fan, that will show up eventually? And also, the $184 is for the OEM version, without the box?

$184 is the BEST price available through OEM channels. If you find OEM CPU (without HSF) through retail vendors (like NewEgg) prices could be higher.

Unboxing: Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge Retail box
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzzVr0dy1w

Example: OEM Tray CPUs (NOT i5-3450s)
395015010_373.jpg

3450 vs 3470: Anandtech said:
"It's possible that 22nm yields are doing better than expected and the 3470 will simply quickly take the place of the 3450. The two are technically priced the same so I can see this happening."
They probably know more than I do.