Setting up three monitor display on win 7 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jldstuff393

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hey guys,
I just got a new HP Pavilion dv6t quad edition and am trying to extend my desktop on to two additional monitors, to yield a three-monitor display including the on-board display. The laptop has a radeon hd 6490m dedicated graphics card in addition to the integrated intel graphics. The laptop has an hdmi and vga port, both of which I am using to connect to the two external displays.

My problem is that windows 7 detects all three monitors but will only allow me to set up extended desktop on any two, but not all three. Does anyone know why this is happening?

My best guess is that windows is trying to use the integrated graphics card which doesn't support a 3 monitor set up, but I'm not sure if that's the reason, nor how to fix it.

Any help is much appreciated!!
John

jldstuff393

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
By HD graphic you mean the intel HD, right? I was considering doing that but I was scared that if windows was using the intel hd graphics and I disabled it, I wouldn't have any display anymore! Should it automatically switch to the radeon graphics if I disabled the intel hd?

When I disable my Intel HD in my laptop, it will have black screen first. But then you press that power button to do reboot. And then when the windows come up the display will come with 800x600 resolution. Then try to update Radeon drivers and then reboot. It should use the Radeon I think. Also have you try disabling in the BIOS? Because I think if there is it will be easier for you. Or also if there is a special HP program that can switch between Graphic cards it's easier and good.

jldstuff393

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
When I disable my Intel HD in my laptop, it will have black screen first. But then you press that power button to do reboot. And then when the windows come up the display will come with 800x600 resolution. Then try to update Radeon drivers and then reboot. It should use the Radeon I think. Also have you try disabling in the BIOS? Because I think if there is it will be easier for you. Or also if there is a special HP program that can switch between Graphic cards it's easier and good.

I went into the bios, changed the changeable GPU setting from dynamic to fixed, which allowed me to keep my computer set using Radeon, but I am still having the same problem :( Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

jldstuff393

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

Yup, at least according to the radeon control panel. The computer's also much hotter than it usually is, which to me is a crude confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.