Sign in with
Your question

First Build under $1000

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2012 8:14:36 PM

I'm wanting to build a system for under $1000 including monitor, KB/Mouse, speakers, and OS.

Approximate Purchase Date: Aiming for a completion date in the late Summer sometime, if not earlier

Budget Range: <$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: simulation gaming (like Microsoft Flight) on High/Ultra, MS Office for school

Parts Not Required: I have a DVD drive with LightScribe that is a few years old from a computer that got fried

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com and Amazon.com (others are fine too)

Country: If by this it's asking "where am I building it?" then USA

Parts Preferences:I like Intel, Nvidia, ASUS

Overclocking:Maybe

SLI or Crossfire:Maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: don't know, recommendations would be appreciated

Additional Comments: would like a side window on the case, orange accents on the case if possible, fairly confident I want to use an Intel Core i5-2500K for my CPU

Thanks!

More about : build 1000

February 27, 2012 8:30:18 PM
February 27, 2012 8:34:40 PM

I've still got to include my monitor, kb/mouse, speakers, and OS in the same budget. I'm thinking Win7 HP 64-bit OEM to save $100. Any suggestions for the setup knowing this now?

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2012 8:43:20 PM

My bad i didnt read u needed a monitor and os.

Well add $100 for the OS...hmm you could save a few bucks on a case, or drop down to a 550. Which would save you about 100bucks. Okay if you not playing alot of newer games like bf3.

Its a tight budget to get a good rig with a monitor on 1k budget with out sacrificing on a few things.
m
l
February 27, 2012 8:43:21 PM

I really like the setup personally, I'd do it if I had the funds to do so including the monitor, kb/mouse, speakers, and OS but given that, that'd make the components price come to $700-$800 to fit the rest of the items listed above
m
l
February 27, 2012 8:45:55 PM

neal0790 said:
My bad i didnt read u needed a monitor and os.

Well add $100 for the OS...hmm you could save a few bucks on a case, or drop down to a 550. Which would save you about 100bucks. Okay if you not playing alot of newer games like bf3.

Its a tight budget to get a good rig with a monitor on 1k budget with out sacrificing on a few things.

Well if the sacrifices are not too noticeable then I'd be fine with it. And when I mentioned Microsoft Flight in my "needs" description, I am referring to the one that comes out on Wednesday the 29th
m
l
February 27, 2012 8:57:09 PM

changed my top post
m
l
February 27, 2012 9:05:55 PM

neal0790 said:
changed my top post

Ok, Thanks for noting that, I'm used to looking for new posts. Is it fair to say it's hard to build a good system (like using Z68 and the higher-end Core iX-xxx cpus) for low cost? I like the the Z68 and higher Core iX-xxx CPUs which always win me over when looking for parts
m
l
February 27, 2012 9:15:47 PM

its hard when your trying to get a monitor and a OS because it eats a good chunk of your budget. 1k is a great budget and can get you a really nice system when your just building a tower alone. Some of the stuff i reccomended you might have rebates and bundle deals on new egg. Plus you might be able to shop around to find better prices. If you have a microcenter near you, you can save $50 alone on the i5. They got it for $179. They had a bundle going that you get $50 off a mobo too if you buy them together. So that alone pays for your OS. But it all depends on where you live. If you can spend the extra 50-100 on the build i reccomended you up top its still got great system.
m
l
February 27, 2012 9:26:06 PM

There happens to be a microcenter about half an hour from me, never been to one. From their website it seems that you can get a discount even before combo deals
m
l
February 27, 2012 9:31:42 PM

Microcenter isnt a bad store and you can actually save some money by going there. They also have the $50 ram i mentioned on sale for $35. The plus side is its convenient if anything ever breaks because you can just drive there and they will price match newegg. The only downside is you have to pay taxes and when it comes to more personal stuff like cases, fans, lights, extra they have a crappy selection. I bought about half my rig there and half off new egg. still its a great store and its nice to look around and see what there is for computer parts.
m
l
February 27, 2012 9:57:56 PM

Just took a look at the CPU/mobo combo deals, from what I can tell, the extra $50 for combo discount only applies for i7-2600K but given the savings it pays for itself.

Compared a setup of an ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 and an Intel Core i7-2600K and before tax (shipping was free on the Egg), it was a savings of about $100
m
l
!