Backward compatibility = absolute must

freak

There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will be backward
compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.

Based on the success of the PS2 and how it gave gamers the comfort that
their investment in games and controllers was not wasted, it would be sheer
lunacy for MS to not make the next machine compatible with the first. And I
mean in every way that is feasible, including controllers, ports,
communicators, etc. If they want the NextBox to be the centerpiece of the
livingroom, it'd better be able to take the place of todays xbox -- no one
wants to have a bunch of machines cluttering the entertainkment center --
hence the popularity of the dvd-vcr combo units.

I say no way MS omits compatibility. It would upset existing customers, and
for those buying their first MS console, put them in a situation of buying a
unit with a small library of launch titles only.

Today, no one plays PS1 games. But the fact they could while upgrading the
equipment was an important, comforting fact. I can only hope the
deceision-makers at MS have that same marketing insight.

"It would upset existing customers, and for those buying their first MS
console, put them in a situation of buying a unit with a small library of
launch titles only."

I would not be upset at all because I would still have my original Xbox.
How many PS1 games do you still play on your PS2? I know that I might play
one or two games once in a *long* while. When we first got our Xbox we were
all in the same boat. A few launch titles and that is it. Look where it is
now. No problems. When the PS1 launched it was the same. Nothing but the
launch titles to go on. Now they are #1. You think people were saying "it
is not backward compatible with my SNES or Genesis so forget it"? People
want new technology to play the NEW stuff. If you are worried about the
quantity of launch titles then wait a few years for there to be a few more
titles out before you get an Xbox 2. If including backward compatibility
increases the price then I see that as a totally wrong and stupid decision
to include it. Why would I want to pay more to play games I already can on
my current system?

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
> There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will be backward
> compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.
>
> Based on the success of the PS2 and how it gave gamers the comfort that
> their investment in games and controllers was not wasted, it would be
> sheer
> lunacy for MS to not make the next machine compatible with the first. And
> mean in every way that is feasible, including controllers, ports,
> communicators, etc. If they want the NextBox to be the centerpiece of the
> livingroom, it'd better be able to take the place of todays xbox -- no one
> wants to have a bunch of machines cluttering the entertainkment center --
> hence the popularity of the dvd-vcr combo units.
>
> I say no way MS omits compatibility. It would upset existing customers,
> and
> for those buying their first MS console, put them in a situation of buying
> unit with a small library of launch titles only.
>
> Today, no one plays PS1 games. But the fact they could while upgrading the
> equipment was an important, comforting fact. I can only hope the
> deceision-makers at MS have that same marketing insight.

justsomeguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

I think Creditwrench said during the new console transition is where
backwards compatibility is a necessity, while there aren't that many games,
you could still have access to a full xbox library while you wait for
something you like to come along. And I don't think the argument of people
wanting to play the newest games applies much to console anymore these days.
Back in the 16 bit days huge leaps were made between consoles, but now they
are starting to become powerful enough to support games that ALL look and
sound amazing. Really besides the technical aspects of the last 3 most
powerful consoles to the average gamers, there isn't THAT huge a leap in the
look of games anymore. Look how similar the Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox look in
terms of graphics and sound. The transition from the Genesis/SNES to the
Saturn/PS1/N64 was the biggest leap in game technology and since then,
(basically the leap from 2D to 3D) and they've become better and better with
each new system, but we won't be seeing an absolute need to jump on the next
console I don't think. I really think the Xbox is a damn fine platform for
awesome games and I'm still enjoying it, it's not long in the tooth like the
old 16 bit consoles were in their dying cycles, with a need to upgrade. This
will be the first time for me were i"m NOT looking forward to the next
consoles, I'm happy were we are, I won't be buying a new sytem at launch
this time around that is for sure, I'll wait for absolute killer titles
before I think about dropping $ on any next gen consoles...

Just my opinion....

"Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> lunacy for MS to not make the next machine compatible with the first. And
> mean in every way that is feasible, including controllers, ports,
> communicators, etc. If they want the NextBox to be the centerpiece of the
> livingroom, it'd better be able to take the place of todays xbox -- no one
> wants to have a bunch of machines cluttering the entertainkment center --
> hence the popularity of the dvd-vcr combo units.
>
> I say no way MS omits compatibility. It would upset existing customers,
> and
> for those buying their first MS console, put them in a situation of buying
> unit with a small library of launch titles only.
>
> Today, no one plays PS1 games. But the fact they could while upgrading the
> equipment was an important, comforting fact. I can only hope the
> deceision-makers at MS have that same marketing insight.

I am keeping XBOX. SO it means shite to me.

Actual quite a few people still play PS1 games. Many games have weathered
the years very well. While not graphically better then the games today they
do have the game play factor going for them.

--
Jeremy Lawson

"freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
> There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will be backward
> compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.
>
> Based on the success of the PS2 and how it gave gamers the comfort that
> their investment in games and controllers was not wasted, it would be
sheer
> lunacy for MS to not make the next machine compatible with the first. And
> mean in every way that is feasible, including controllers, ports,
> communicators, etc. If they want the NextBox to be the centerpiece of the
> livingroom, it'd better be able to take the place of todays xbox -- no one
> wants to have a bunch of machines cluttering the entertainkment center --
> hence the popularity of the dvd-vcr combo units.
>
> I say no way MS omits compatibility. It would upset existing customers,
and
> for those buying their first MS console, put them in a situation of buying
> unit with a small library of launch titles only.
>
> Today, no one plays PS1 games. But the fact they could while upgrading the
> equipment was an important, comforting fact. I can only hope the
> deceision-makers at MS have that same marketing insight.

"freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
> There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will be backward
> compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.
>
> Based on the success of the PS2 and how it gave gamers the comfort that
> their investment in games and controllers was not wasted, it would be
> sheer
> lunacy for MS to not make the next machine compatible with the first. And
> mean in every way that is feasible, including controllers, ports,
> communicators, etc. If they want the NextBox to be the centerpiece of the
> livingroom, it'd better be able to take the place of todays xbox -- no one
> wants to have a bunch of machines cluttering the entertainkment center --
> hence the popularity of the dvd-vcr combo units.
>
> I say no way MS omits compatibility. It would upset existing customers,
> and
> for those buying their first MS console, put them in a situation of buying
> unit with a small library of launch titles only.
>
> Today, no one plays PS1 games. But the fact they could while upgrading the
> equipment was an important, comforting fact. I can only hope the
> deceision-makers at MS have that same marketing insight.

I asked it before and I'll ask it again. So far nobody has answered me. Why
would you continue playing the same games if you can't use your saves?

"freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
> There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will be backward
> compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.

ATI and nVidia are chief rivals...I can't see nVidia giving away some of
it's secrets to ATI so that Microsoft can have a fully backwards compatible
Xbox 2. Yeah, backwards compatibility would be nice since it means needing
one less console in the house for most people, but unfortunately I think
it's a dream more than reality.

Personally, I don't plan on buying Xbox 2 when it comes out, if at all.
Still, I could easily do without a hard drive on my Xbox - flash memory
would be fine by me. I mainly have hockey, racing and pinball games on my
Xbox and am quite content to play single games rather than get into deep
career modes or multiple saves of games.

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Green Shampoo wrote in alt.games.video.xbox:

> I asked it before and I'll ask it again. So far nobody has answered me. Why
> would you continue playing the same games if you can't use your saves?

I don't really care about the box being BC but...

Why would you not be able to use your saves? The PS2 allows both formats
for memory cards and only allows old games to read and save from the old
cards, no reason MS couldn't do the same. So, with the exception of games
that cant be saved to the card, you would be able to use your saves.

--
David
Woman: "Is Yoo-Hoo hyphenated?"

"freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message

> Today, no one plays PS1 games.

Did you do a door to door survery? cuz you missed a house.. I still play ps1
games.

And to reply to another statement you made, anyone with any sort of
organizational skills doesnt have to live in a "cluttered up" area.

freak

"wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message news:Mt8Sd.13072$kS6.10346@attbi_s52...

> "freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
>
> > Today, no one plays PS1 games.
>
> Did you do a door to door survery? cuz you missed a house.. I still play
ps1
> games.
>

> And to reply to another statement you made, anyone with any sort of
> organizational skills doesnt have to live in a "cluttered up" area.

Sorry, you weren't home when I came by ;-)

I think having two MS consoles + 2 Sony consoles, + a DVD/VCR +
cable/satellite + a receiver is a lot more devices on the entertainment
center than necessary. you can shrink that total by two with backward
compatibility. Do you have your ps1 connected, or do you use a backward
compatible ps2 to play ps1 games?

robin

"freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
> There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will be
> backward
> compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.

It would be nice if Xbox games would play on it, but I would
want and expect newer and better controllers.

> "wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Today, no one plays PS1 games.
> >
> > Did you do a door to door survery? cuz you missed a house.. I still play
> ps1
> > games.
> >

> > And to reply to another statement you made, anyone with any sort of
> > organizational skills doesnt have to live in a "cluttered up" area.
> >

> Sorry, you weren't home when I came by ;-)
>
> I think having two MS consoles + 2 Sony consoles, + a DVD/VCR +
> cable/satellite + a receiver is a lot more devices on the entertainment
> center than necessary. you can shrink that total by two with backward
> compatibility. Do you have your ps1 connected, or do you use a backward
> compatible ps2 to play ps1 games?

I have a ps1 connected. I dont own a ps2.

right now in my room theres a 26" widescreen tv, my stereo receiver, dvd
player, vcr, tivo, xbox and ps1. along with 3 computers and speakers all
over the room, so right now its a little cluttered, but im not the epitome
of the tidiness anyway.

I saw a pic on cheapassgamer of some dudes setup, he looks to have one of
every system and a WALL of games, and hes got it all organized nicely in a
corner of his room.

"wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message news:Mt8Sd.13072$kS6.10346@attbi_s52...

> "freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
>
>> Today, no one plays PS1 games.
>
> Did you do a door to door survery? cuz you missed a house.. I still play
> ps1
> games.
>

> And to reply to another statement you made, anyone with any sort of
> organizational skills doesnt have to live in a "cluttered up" area.

I am more organized in a "cluttered up" area. I hate when my wife cleans, I
can't find ANYTHING! To her, my piles are a mess. To me, its my filing
system.

"Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
>> There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will be backward
>> compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.
>>

> It would be nice if Xbox games would play on it, but I would want and
> expect newer and better controllers.

I personally don't see what the problem was with the Dukes. I love those
controllers. The only problems are in sports and fighting games, where using
the d-pad is like training a snake to compete in a "run on a log in the
water" contests.

robin

"Green Shampoo" <Frog_tongue@webtv.net> wrote in message

> "Robin" <robinandtami@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
>>> There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will
>>> be backward
>>> compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.
>>>

>> It would be nice if Xbox games would play on it, but I
>> would want and expect newer and better controllers.
>>

> I personally don't see what the problem was with the
> Dukes. I love those controllers. The only problems are in
> sports and fighting games, where using the d-pad is like
> training a snake to compete in a "run on a log in the
> water" contests.

I have no complaints about the current controllers. I'm
just hoping the new controllers will be something new and
better.

theone

NightSky 421 wrote:
> "freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
>
>>There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will be backward
>>compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.
>>

> ATI and nVidia are chief rivals...I can't see nVidia giving away some of
> it's secrets to ATI so that Microsoft can have a fully backwards compatible
> Xbox 2. Yeah, backwards compatibility would be nice since it means needing
> one less console in the house for most people, but unfortunately I think
> it's a dream more than reality.
>
> Personally, I don't plan on buying Xbox 2 when it comes out, if at all.
> Still, I could easily do without a hard drive on my Xbox - flash memory
> would be fine by me. I mainly have hockey, racing and pinball games on my
> Xbox and am quite content to play single games rather than get into deep
> career modes or multiple saves of games.

Hmmm...that is an interesting relation. I didn't really think of how the
co-dependency of ATI and nvidia with negate backwards compatibility or
not.

I wouldn't really care though. I would probably keep the box around for
media playback purposes only anyways but not likely I would play older
games on it anymore. Nostalgia is very shortlived for me. I have a ton
of SNES/NES/MAME games on the drive but never play them, just like to
collect 'em I guess. I feel Xbox games will fall into that bucket once
next gen console games come about.

theone

Green Shampoo wrote:
> "wd" <wd@none.com> wrote in message news:Mt8Sd.13072$kS6.10346@attbi_s52...
>
>>"freak" <freak@me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Today, no one plays PS1 games.
>>
>>Did you do a door to door survery? cuz you missed a house.. I still play
>>ps1
>>games.
>>

>>And to reply to another statement you made, anyone with any sort of
>>organizational skills doesnt have to live in a "cluttered up" area.
>>

> I am more organized in a "cluttered up" area. I hate when my wife cleans, I
> can't find ANYTHING! To her, my piles are a mess. To me, its my filing
> system.

That's because you use too much green shampoo.

Jordan

The PS2 wasn't being bought on launch day so people could play PS1
games. It wasn't an issue. In fact, I'll wager that the vast majority
of people buying PS2s the first year already owned PS1s.

Looking forward I'll bet also that the vast majority of people by the
NextXbox (or whatever it ends up being called) are currently Xbox
owners.

So why is it important again?

- Jordan

freak

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> The PS2 wasn't being bought on launch day so people could play PS1
> games. It wasn't an issue. In fact, I'll wager that the vast majority
> of people buying PS2s the first year already owned PS1s.
>
> Looking forward I'll bet also that the vast majority of people by the
> NextXbox (or whatever it ends up being called) are currently Xbox
> owners.
>
> So why is it important again?
>
> - Jordan

"Investment protection." You can do a 1-for-1 replacement of the old xbox
with this new Nextbox set-top box and still enjoy you existing game
collection. It would be dumb to re-create all of the programming
libraries -- which MS will not, so it is really simply a choice to do it,
not whether they can. Ps1 is done via emulation, xbox1 can be done that way
also. The smartest thing for MS is to just do it.

Jordan

Here's a shocker... why not just leave the old machine hooked up? For
the first few months there are going to be more games on the Xbox that
I haven't played than there are in the entire Xbox 2 library. The Xbox
isn't going anywhere until I haven't touched it for some time... By
some time I mean 2 years at least. TVs have multiple inputs for a
reason, yes? To say nothing of all the music on the Xbox HD. It will
live on as a juke box long after there are any games out for it.

- Jordan

Jordan wrote:
> The PS2 wasn't being bought on launch day so people could play PS1
> games. It wasn't an issue. In fact, I'll wager that the vast
majority
> of people buying PS2s the first year already owned PS1s.
>
> Looking forward I'll bet also that the vast majority of people by
the
> NextXbox (or whatever it ends up being called) are currently Xbox
> owners.
>
> So why is it important again?

It's not important for the first buyers, but it is important in the
long haul. I own a PS2 and PS1, but say I want to play one of the
many PS1 games I own. I can either dust off my PS1, hook it up to the
TV, and pray it still works (chances are not very good that it will).
Or simply pop the game into the PS2.

People do like to play older games. Maybe not action games, but RPGs
and adventure games tend to stand up to the test of time. And a good
chunk of the games I own are actually retro compilations. Which may or
may not be remade/re-released for newer systems.

freak <freak@me.com> wrote:

> There's been a lot of guessing as to whether there will be backward
> compatibility between the next xbox and the current one.

Based on what information that has been released about XBox-whatever, it's
pretty clear that it won't be backwards compatible. Pity, because that
would have been a huge plus. In fact, I would have seriously considered
buying one near it's release date, and put off a PS3 until it hit its
first price drop.

Unfortunatly, Microsoft seems pretty intent on making its own mistakes,
instead of learning from others...

Ollie T <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> I would not be upset at all because I would still have my original Xbox.
> How many PS1 games do you still play on your PS2? I know that I might play
> one or two games once in a *long* while. When we first got our Xbox we were
> all in the same boat. A few launch titles and that is it. Look where it is
> now. No problems. When the PS1 launched it was the same. Nothing but the
> launch titles to go on. Now they are #1. You think people were saying "it
> is not backward compatible with my SNES or Genesis so forget it"? People
> want new technology to play the NEW stuff. If you are worried about the
> quantity of launch titles then wait a few years for there to be a few more
> titles out before you get an Xbox 2. If including backward compatibility
> increases the price then I see that as a totally wrong and stupid decision
> to include it. Why would I want to pay more to play games I already can on
> my current system?

Well, I look at this way. I won't buy a console until there are at least
4 or 5 titles I'm interested in playing that are available.

If I have the older console, the newer one isn't backwards compatible, and
the launch games aren't that interesting (to me that is) then why buy the
new console? I can just bide my time buying the cheaper games for the
older console until I decide to jump over.

On the other hand, if I have neither console, and the newer console isn't
backwards compatible, why should I buy it? I can just buy the cheaper
older console and its cheaper older games.

In reality, I'm in the former position with Xbox. I don't have one right
now, but am interested in about 4 or 5 titles. However, with
Xbox-whatever coming out soon-ish, and with the rumor that it might be
backwards compatible, I can wait, at least until I hear more facts from
Microsoft. If the next Xbox is backwards compatible, I'll probably wait
and buy it, even though it'll mainly be used for older Xbox games at first.

If it's not backwards compatible I'll just buy Xbox now, and wait to see
how the game lineups shape up with the next batch of consoles. Most
likely I'll wait until they all go into their first price drop (and model
rev) before buying a new console. Plenty to play right now...

Jeremy Reaban <jer@connectria.com> wrote:

> It's not important for the first buyers, but it is important in the
> long haul. I own a PS2 and PS1, but say I want to play one of the
> many PS1 games I own. I can either dust off my PS1, hook it up to the
> TV, and pray it still works (chances are not very good that it will).
> Or simply pop the game into the PS2.

I'd say it is a factor for first time buyers, since the sales guy can
point to both the current and preceding library of games. You could say
that the PS2 launched with a library hundreds of times larger than the
Xbox and Game Cube put together because of its backwards compatibility.

Sure, as time goes on and the new library starts to grow, this will be
less and less of a factor for first time buyers as they'll probably only
be interested in newer titles. But I certainly wouldn't be surprised if
the PS2's backwards compatibility didn't help sell consoles to non-early
adaptors during that first year or so when the PS2 had very few good
titles for it.

Jordan <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Here's a shocker... why not just leave the old machine hooked up? For

Becomes a problem of space and connections.

Yeah, my TV has multiple inputs, but only 1 component input, 1 s-video
input, 2 composite video inputs. I'm already going to have to buy a new
switch to handle things when I get my next console (whatever it may be)

Then there's the problem of where to actually put the thing...

Having XeNenonBox360 be backwards compatible would certainly help things
greatly.