rocknroll627

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I recently took on the task of building my own computer. This was my first time, and I understand this may be my own mistake. When playing games such as Starcraft 2, and more recently the Guild Wars 2 beta, the frame rate sometimes slows to an unbearable level. Even on the lowest graphics settings, Guild Wars 2 could not be run. I did some research and some tests and have pinpointed the cause at the CPU. I may be wrong.

Current specs:
Intel i7-3770 ivy bridge (3.4 ghz, 3.9 turbo)
Intel DH77KC Motherboard LGA 1155
8 GB RAM G-SKILL ripjaw
nvidia GTX570HD graphics card
Windows 7 home premium 64-bit

Based on my understanding, this should run anything i want with no problems. When i run the windows 7 index, i get 7.9s across the board... except for the processor, which ranges from 3.5 to 5.9. The i7 should be a 7.9 if i am not mistaken. I talked to intel. They told me to run the intel utility ID. It clocked my processor at a whopping 0.71 ghz. I have done nothing in the BIOS although i was planning on overclocking eventually.

I just wanted some thoughts as to what my problem might be. Intel said the processor was fine and did nothing. But something is wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
You could always try the new HSF first, and if that doesn't help, an RMA may be a good way to go. I'm not sure it's a CPU issue, but take advantage of the warranty if you've exhausted all other possible fixes.

If it's still booting, your chip is fine, but if it consistently runs around the 100C mark, damage could certainly be done.
Does it ever go above 0.71 Ghz? If not, I hate to recommend this on stock cooling (I'm just guessing you have the stock cooler, since you didn't mention an aftermarket cooler), but try setting the Power Plan in Windows to High Performance. That will make it run at full speed all the time.

If it still stays at 0.71, it might be a BIOS issue.

rocknroll627

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Intel's explanation was that the processor is newer than the latest version of the ID utility. Therefore, it can cause problems in the output.

Yes, I am using stock cooling. I was planning on getting a new heat sink anyway after i did some research on the processor. I have set the windows settings to high performance. That was Intel's only suggestion. The ID utility does not always output .71. It fluctuates between .71 and about 1.1 or so. Still abnormally low.

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

I got curious and installed their ID utility, my 3770 is reported as 3.81 Ghz.

That still doesn't necessarily indicate a problem with your CPU though.

rocknroll627

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I just ran a diagnostics test on the processor. Passed it fine.

It doesn't make sense though. The ID Utility as well as Windows 7 rates the processor low and everything else perfect.

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
100C?? That's insane--no wonder the frames are dipping so low. If you applied the proper amount of thermal paste, and the HSF is mounted properly, I'd request an RMA. You may have just gotten a bad chip--sooner rather than later. Better to know it's not a CPU error than put off RMAing it and be stuck with a $350 silicon volcano.

rocknroll627

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I just ordered a new fan system with a heat sink. Some thermal paste as well.

You think there is damage done to the processor? You mention an RMA. Is it necessary? Or will the new sink fix it?

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
You could always try the new HSF first, and if that doesn't help, an RMA may be a good way to go. I'm not sure it's a CPU issue, but take advantage of the warranty if you've exhausted all other possible fixes.

If it's still booting, your chip is fine, but if it consistently runs around the 100C mark, damage could certainly be done.

Solution

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Crikey [:pdxalex:1]

It's kind of interesting to see how far it throttles down though, and at least you now know what the issue is!