Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Computer in the 500-750 budget range

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 27, 2012 10:07:10 PM

Hello,

I am quite new to computer build and have no clue to where to start. Basically I am asking if you can tell me a nice gaming build with the price range, or at least point me in the direction of choosing my own parts. Thank you for any help.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
February 27, 2012 10:27:33 PM
Related resources
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
a c 276 4 Gaming
February 27, 2012 10:38:56 PM

ARookieBuilder said:
Sorry about that, didn't notice it when reading the rules and such


It's OK - it happens. But if you fill that out I can provide a good build.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 11:01:35 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime

Budget Range: 500-750

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, homework and movies

Parts Not Required: Mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any, but newegg.com looks good

Country: United States

Parts Preferences: None really, just looking at the i#sandy bridge brand and those look good

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: I don't know really, something larger I suppose.

Additional Comments:Can run games like Shogun Total War 2 and Minecraft with ease.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
a c 276 4 Gaming
February 28, 2012 3:23:30 PM

o1die said:
Here's another option, newegg's shellshocker daily specials. They offer these combos about twice a week: http://www.newegg.com/special/shellshocker.aspx?nm_mc=E...


I wouldn't recommend a system full of barebones components like that (with a junk case and PSU on top of that). I know it's difficult to get the prices down to $750 because of the HD prices but this is the best I think I can do right now for a complete system:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair CX600 - $69.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - $129.99
CPU: 3.3GHz Intel Core i3-2120 - $127.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V - $38.99
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB - $84.99
Optical: Samsung 22X DVD Burner - $15.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 - $149.99 ($15.00 MIR)
Monitor: Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" 5ms LED Backlight - $99.99
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech MK260 - $26.99

Total: $806.90 - $45.00 MIR = $761.90
m
0
l
February 29, 2012 12:30:49 AM

Thanks guys, I do like some of those ideas. Might try one of them
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
February 29, 2012 7:25:29 PM

G has a very solid build list ( I'd give it a thumbs up if that button was still around. ) Very reasonable, nothing overdone. If you can spare an extra $20, the Radeon 6870 provides a sizable boost over the 6850. If not, you'll still be rocking at 1600x900 on that monitor.
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
February 29, 2012 8:13:13 PM

Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Monitor - Acer 20" $100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Keyboard - Rosewill Slim Keyboard $10 (Free shipping): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CD/DVD player - Sony $18: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Total: $775 before rebates.

You get a 6870 which is better than the 6850 (obviously) an i5 2400 (a quad core that provides great performance for the price) and although you sacrifice on the motherboard (being an mATX) the 6870 is good enough to max out most games @ 1600x900
m
0
l
March 1, 2012 11:29:54 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I wouldn't recommend a system full of barebones components like that (with a junk case and PSU on top of that). I know it's difficult to get the prices down to $750 because of the HD prices but this is the best I think I can do right now for a complete system:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair CX600 - $69.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - $129.99
CPU: 3.3GHz Intel Core i3-2120 - $127.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V - $38.99
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB - $84.99
Optical: Samsung 22X DVD Burner - $15.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 - $149.99 ($15.00 MIR)
Monitor: Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" 5ms LED Backlight - $99.99
Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech MK260 - $26.99

Total: $806.90 - $45.00 MIR = $761.90



What setting will you be able to play on games with these parts? Also I do hear a lot about the quad core and it's superiority to the dual core, so would it be better if I got something like the i5 2400 or 2500 if I got a few extra bucks?
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 2, 2012 1:43:41 AM

The build I have suggested:

Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Monitor - Acer 20" $100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Keyboard - Rosewill Slim Keyboard $10 (Free shipping): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CD/DVD player - Sony $18: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Total: $775 before rebates.

Would work out fine @ 1600x900 which is the 20" monitors resolution. You could run High - Max settings depending on the game but most games.
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 10:48:05 AM

aznshinobi said:
The build I have suggested:

Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore
Monitor - Acer 20" $100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Keyboard - Rosewill Slim Keyboard $10 (Free shipping): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CD/DVD player - Sony $18: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Total: $775 before rebates.

Would work out fine @ 1600x900 which is the 20" monitors resolution. You could run High - Max settings depending on the game but most games.


Sorry didn't see the comment at first, I do like the build though. Is the motherboard still good even if it's lacking? Should I save to get another? Could you recommend a better when if so? Lastly, say I wait 6 or so months, will anything be outdated or close to outdated? Thanks for the help
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
a c 276 4 Gaming
March 2, 2012 5:56:13 PM

ARookieBuilder said:
What setting will you be able to play on games with these parts? Also I do hear a lot about the quad core and it's superiority to the dual core, so would it be better if I got something like the i5 2400 or 2500 if I got a few extra bucks?


An i3-2120 will easily be able to handle most games at max - pretty much any Sandy Bridge CPU will run circles around its' closest AMD equivalent. You definitely want a quad core to be on the safe side and in this case the $50 upgrade to the i5-2400 would easily be worth it. I think the i5-2500 is kind of a moot point when you can get the 2500K for an extra $10 and you won't really notice the +-.2GHz in the end.
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 2, 2012 9:45:57 PM

I'd say that the H61 board would last at least 6 months, maybe even longer. I don't see a PCI 3.0 transition happening in one year maybe 2. But the H61 boards will be Ivy Bridge compatible (not that you'll need it since the i5 2400 is pretty good in performance) if the manufacturer decides to BIOS update for it.
m
0
l
March 3, 2012 2:10:23 AM

Wow, I'm surprised at all of the links to newegg and such, doesn't that violate the commercial policy under the terms and conditions policy page here at Toms hardware?

I knew someone who got banned for listing links to ebay for products.
I am new to the forums but I am seeing this in many of the posts. Do you think that maybe he just got banned for disagreeing with someone or something other than what he was told?

I wanted to tell of a couple of really good deals but I am afraid to post links to newegg and amazon since commercial advertising is prohibitted. :o 
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2012 2:14:35 AM

Who was? We're the part of the forums that assists people in building computers, why wouldn't we use Newegg and TigerDirect sites or anything like that? I mean if it was Ebay, I'm assuming it was to their personal benefit of selling products or something along the lines to that, I've never heard of such a banning though.
m
0
l
March 3, 2012 2:22:31 AM

aznshinobi said:
Who was? We're the part of the forums that assists people in building computers, why wouldn't we use Newegg and TigerDirect sites or anything like that? I mean if it was Ebay, I'm assuming it was to their personal benefit of selling products or something along the lines to that, I've never heard of such a banning though.



Well, I'm not sure he would want me to mention his name, and I'm not sure of his user ID here either.

Are you saying that a person can add links to other peoples products ,but not their own? What would be the problem with that?

If I post links to newegg, how do you know I'm not a salesman for them. Also If I link ebay Items, How do you know I'm not associated with the seller?
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2012 3:39:32 AM

Do not ask me, I'm not a mod. You can PM one of the mods and ask them. I'm just a forum member. But next time you have a question though, be sure to make a new thread where it should be posted since the mods do not like thread hijacking.
m
0
l
March 3, 2012 4:14:02 AM

aznshinobi said:
Do not ask me, I'm not a mod. You can PM one of the mods and ask them. I'm just a forum member. But next time you have a question though, be sure to make a new thread where it should be posted since the mods do not like thread hijacking.


Sorry was not trying to hijack a thread, actually have a couple of great deals for the op, but afraid to link them is all.

They are cheaper prices on items mentioned in this thread but are on ebay and I don't want to break any rules cause I know the seller. :( 
m
0
l
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 3, 2012 4:20:36 AM

Haha if you have deals just post them, you'll be fine.
m
0
l
March 3, 2012 5:06:13 AM

Ok here are some links to ebay that can help you find good deals to build a gaming pc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160748099165?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200720821395?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190647595286?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400280891503?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200720883296?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170793291617?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330693985308?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220962546350?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190647816513?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160678338322?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200721715361?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330694710328?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330694943296?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230754728420?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170785175601?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

Just a few of the things I am watching on ebay. Sometimes the bidding goes up pretty high, but you can always find some that remain deals right up to the end of the auction which is the time to bid.
Just make sure the seller is in U.S. and has very good feedback.

There are good deals on psu's cases, and everything you are looking for.
You are protected by paypal against fraud and you always have at least 7 days from date of delivery to return the item for cash refund according to ebay policy if you don't want it for any reason.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
a c 276 4 Gaming
March 3, 2012 5:03:03 PM

donlev said:
Wow, I'm surprised at all of the links to newegg and such, doesn't that violate the commercial policy under the terms and conditions policy page here at Toms hardware?

I knew someone who got banned for listing links to ebay for products.
I am new to the forums but I am seeing this in many of the posts. Do you think that maybe he just got banned for disagreeing with someone or something other than what he was told?

I wanted to tell of a couple of really good deals but I am afraid to post links to newegg and amazon since commercial advertising is prohibitted. :o 


I hadn't heard that before - but really why wouldn't a computer site allow for links to places that sell computer parts? That kind of seems like a conflict of interest. :lol: 

Quote:


Just a few of the things I am watching on ebay. Sometimes the bidding goes up pretty high, but you can always find some that remain deals right up to the end of the auction which is the time to bid.
Just make sure the seller is in U.S. and has very good feedback.

There are good deals on psu's cases, and everything you are looking for.
You are protected by paypal against fraud and you always have at least 7 days from date of delivery to return the item for cash refund according to ebay policy if you don't want it for any reason.


I usually don't recommend buying off eBay because there are a *LOT* (repeat: *LOT*) of shady sellers on that site and if something goes wrong you can't get a refund or an RMA for it. It works great for if you're buying outdated or discontinued parts (video cards, CPUs, etc) but I wouldn't recommend it for any other reason.
m
0
l
March 3, 2012 6:34:36 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I hadn't heard that before - but really why wouldn't a computer site allow for links to places that sell computer parts? That kind of seems like a conflict of interest. :lol: 

Quote:


Just a few of the things I am watching on ebay. Sometimes the bidding goes up pretty high, but you can always find some that remain deals right up to the end of the auction which is the time to bid.
Just make sure the seller is in U.S. and has very good feedback.

There are good deals on psu's cases, and everything you are looking for.
You are protected by paypal against fraud and you always have at least 7 days from date of delivery to return the item for cash refund according to ebay policy if you don't want it for any reason.


I usually don't recommend buying off eBay because there are a *LOT* (repeat: *LOT*) of shady sellers on that site and if something goes wrong you can't get a refund or an RMA for it. It works great for if you're buying outdated or discontinued parts (video cards, CPUs, etc) but I wouldn't recommend it for any other reason.


You can always (repeat..Always) get your money back if you send message to seller and notify ebay and paypal and send item back within 7 days of delivery,no matter what the seller says, you will(repeat..Will) be refunded!!!!

I have only had two occasions where I wasn't happy with the seller on ebay. One guy sen't me a counterfeit copy of windows 7 home prem retail edit. and ebay promptly refunded my money and went after him for reimbersement. Another guy sold me a hard drive seagate barracuda brand new sata3 1 tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache for $59 + $10 shipping and about 3 weeks later it hadn't arrived I contacted ebay and paypal who instructed me to contact the seller and if it didn't arrive within 1 week, they would refund my money. 1 week later I called and money was instantly transferred to my paypal account. Again they said they would go after him for reimbersement.

People don't keep 100% feedback if they are unscrupulous. You just have to know who to buy from. People with a long history of 100% feedback that are also in your country.

As a matter of fact, Newegg sells on ebay and so does ncix outlet. Even though ncix outlet is in canada their stuff arrives to me, in In., within the week.

It is a shame that you wouldn't even concider saving some cash there. I shop there for about 15 years now and my father shopped there before me , back in the days when it was newer and they worked hard to insure that he was a happy camper as well.

I have a friend who sold a used computer on ebay for a $300. The seller was unhappy claiming that it wouldn't work because it wouldn't recognise the hard drive. My friend informed him to make sure none of the connections had wiggled loose in shipping and if in the end, they couldn't fix it to send it back for a refund.

They sent it back and he even refunded their shipping which was not required, but he just wanted them to be satisfied with the experience.

When it arrived, he took the side panel off and the only thing wrong was the power plug was off of the hard drive. plugged it in and it fired right up.
The buyer had supposedly tried three diff hard drives that he had and none would work.

I think it boiled down to a guy wanting a $1000 computer for $300, and when it wasn't, he wanted a refund.

My friend cleaned it up and took more detailed pictures and put it back on Ebay and it sold for $400 so he made an extra hundred dollars than before , and the person knew better what to expect and was actually blown away with what he recieved.

Some times its not the seller ,but the buyer who is a problem.
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
a c 276 4 Gaming
March 4, 2012 1:06:01 AM

Quote:
It is a shame that you wouldn't even concider saving some cash there. I shop there for about 15 years now and my father shopped there before me , back in the days when it was newer and they worked hard to insure that he was a happy camper as well.


Where the RMA problems would come in would be if someone already registered the serial numbers. I mean getting a refund from Paypal is one thing but service and support from the manufacturer is something else entirely.

Quote:
People don't keep 100% feedback if they are unscrupulous. You just have to know who to buy from. People with a long history of 100% feedback that are also in your country.


That's true. I'm in the USA but the thing is I've been around on the scene long enough to where I'm always skeptical of what a "good deal" sounds like and what one really is, and I've definitely purchased some bad components but after a long time here now I've really learned a lot about what to look for.

Quote:
Some times its not the seller ,but the buyer who is a problem.


True - can't argue with that one - I work customer service at my job occasionally and I know what a-holes some people can be at times. :lol: 
m
0
l
!