HD3870 using less than 10% of power

I've had a 3870 in my comp for a while, and it worked pretty great considering my system only had about 1.5 gigs of ram.

Well recently I upgraded my system to 3 gigs of ram and did a clean install of Vista only to find abysmal performance. Using MSI Afterburner's overlay I found that the culprit was the fact that my GPU never goes above a 10% load. If anyone can help with this issue I'd appreciate it.

Motherboard: D945GTP vAAC97834-302
CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.80 GHz
RAM: 3 GB (2 1GB, 2 0.5GB, all Hynix Brand), DDR2, Dual Channel, 333.3 MHz FSB:DRAM=3:5
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3870
PSU :Antech SP-500
Operating System : Windows Vista SP2
Video Card Drivers in Use ( and tried ): 11.12
3 answers Last reply
More about hd3870 power
  1. Make sure you have all the appropriate motherboard drivers installed, not just the ones that windows gives you on install.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+945+Express+Chipset+Family+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Board+D945GTP

P.S. I remember selling Pentium D's back in 2005, may be time to upgrade :whistle:
  2. Well I checked and my motherboard drivers seem to be up to date, the ones on there are apparently older than what I've got. So I can rule out motherboard drivers.

Also I ran tests with PerformanceTest and it's odd because the two less strenuous tests use 50% of my GPU but the complex and DX10 tests use only 5-10%.

And yeah, this is an old old computer, and a bit of a Frankenstein. I plan on building an entirely new system in the near future, but for now I'll have to make due with this.
  3. I've found that my GPU seems to be stuck at a low FPS, not necessarly a low usage rate, as I will get similar FPS for any graphical setting.

EX: Game at max settings has 10 fps with 10% usage. Game at min settings has 10 fps with 1% usage.

I'll have to do more testing to see if this is for everything though, as it's something I've just now noticed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics