Sign in with
Your question

HD3870 using less than 10% of power

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 28, 2011 4:47:53 AM

I've had a 3870 in my comp for a while, and it worked pretty great considering my system only had about 1.5 gigs of ram.

Well recently I upgraded my system to 3 gigs of ram and did a clean install of Vista only to find abysmal performance. Using MSI Afterburner's overlay I found that the culprit was the fact that my GPU never goes above a 10% load. If anyone can help with this issue I'd appreciate it.

Motherboard: D945GTP vAAC97834-302
CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.80 GHz
RAM: 3 GB (2 1GB, 2 0.5GB, all Hynix Brand), DDR2, Dual Channel, 333.3 MHz FSB:D RAM=3:5
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3870
PSU :Antech SP-500
Operating System : Windows Vista SP2
Video Card Drivers in Use ( and tried ): 11.12

More about : hd3870 power

December 28, 2011 6:30:58 PM

Well I checked and my motherboard drivers seem to be up to date, the ones on there are apparently older than what I've got. So I can rule out motherboard drivers.

Also I ran tests with PerformanceTest and it's odd because the two less strenuous tests use 50% of my GPU but the complex and DX10 tests use only 5-10%.

And yeah, this is an old old computer, and a bit of a Frankenstein. I plan on building an entirely new system in the near future, but for now I'll have to make due with this.
m
l
December 30, 2011 3:39:18 AM

I've found that my GPU seems to be stuck at a low FPS, not necessarly a low usage rate, as I will get similar FPS for any graphical setting.

EX: Game at max settings has 10 fps with 10% usage. Game at min settings has 10 fps with 1% usage.

I'll have to do more testing to see if this is for everything though, as it's something I've just now noticed.
m
l
Related resources
!