Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU change

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 14, 2012 10:55:50 PM

I was wondering if I decided to get a new processor if I would have to completely take my mobo out of the case and everything to change it and if it is even possible with my computer here is my computer http://www.cowboom.com/product/859439 and what do I need to get it done? what is the best i could go for without so to speak braking the bank :)  I was planning on getting a new graphics card which I know I'm going to need a power supply I already have that stuff. I was just wondering is it worth it, can I do it without taking on my mother board just pretty much all the details I guess, any help is much appreciated Thank you.

More about : cpu change

a c 390 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 12:43:41 AM

It will be easier with the board out of the case. But it can be done with the board installed. I can't tell how big the case is or what the inside looks like, but if it is a std mATX it shouldn't be too hard. If you can post a pic of the case with the side off, that would help. Or link us to where you uploaded the pic(s).

Basically, you need to unplug the HS/F from the motherboard's CPU FAN header, unlock the lever on the HS/F and with a bit of a twist, remove it. Lift the lever on the side of the socket all the way and lift out the processor by the edges. Never touch the pins side with your fingers. Be sure you have a soft safe place to store the processor so the tiny pins don't get bent. Replace with the new processor in the reverse procedure. If you use the factory HS/F, it will already have thermal grease applied ready to install.

You can upgrade to a Phenom II X4 or X6, but it would be helpful to know which motherboard you have so we can determine if you can use a 125W CPU or need to stay with 95W CPU. Is this a gaming upgrade or for another purpose?
Score
a c 151 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 12:46:09 AM

Asus Essentio CM1730-03 If this is what you have I couldnt locate a supported CPU listing so something newer may or may not work.
Score
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 12:51:01 AM

popatim said:
Asus Essentio CM1730-03 If this is what you have I couldnt locate a supported CPU listing so something newer may or may not work.

I ran into the same problem earlier when I saw this thread. No CPU support info anywhere for that system and no way to know exactly WHICH mobo is in it to check that way.
Score
a c 390 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 1:04:06 AM

Maybe if the OP runs HW Monitor or CPU-Z, it will reveal the board's model. ???

I ran across some ads and reviews for this machine. They all came with 95W CPUs.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 1:12:53 AM

Yeah, CPU-Z should do it.
Score
June 15, 2012 1:13:26 AM

IT DOES!!!!! I have actually been using them today for the first time and I overclocked my processor from 2.8 to 3.1 I was hoping at least 3.2 but I think it's gonna run a little to warm for my taste so with that being said is it still worth the upgrade since i get this much power? http://tinypic.com/r/1fvclk/6 there you go I think this should help in my mobo crisis :D  if not let me know
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 1:19:30 AM

It's either an AM2+ or AM3 mobo because Asus had mobos with the 780G chipset on both sockets. In either case, I'm guessing a 95W AM3 CPU is the best you can do (BIOS permitting, which being OEM, isn't guaranteed).
Score
June 15, 2012 1:19:48 AM

Some thing I'm noticing is for some reason I'm not sure why with this overclock my CPU is running colder then before why is that? my Mother board is running the same be CPU is colder I don't understand?
Score
June 15, 2012 1:23:12 AM

Well if a 95W AM3 the best I can do then that's the processor I have to go with it's the best? Could you send me a link to one? This is for gaming by the way and looking at them on newegg I'm seeing lots of them triple-core, quad-core even six core but what is best for me? Am I going to have to get a power supply and what kind? if there all 95w or so it says? Whats the best GHz I can do with this computer?
Score
a c 390 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 1:28:22 AM

spitball91 said:
Some thing I'm noticing is for some reason I'm not sure why with this overclock my CPU is running colder then before why is that? my Mother board is running the same be CPU is colder I don't understand?

Has your HS/F speed increased due to the O/C? Might be pushing more air across the cooler. ???
Score
June 15, 2012 1:31:39 AM

clutchc Yeah I'm looking at it your right I did not think about that it's running 1600s when before it was about 1400s Thanks I thought that was weird
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 1:33:51 AM

spitball91 said:
Well if a 95W AM3 the best I can do then that's the processor I have to go with it's the best? Could you send me a link to one? This is for gaming by the way and looking at them on newegg I'm seeing lots of them triple-core, quad-core even six core but what is best for me? Am I going to have to get a power supply and what kind? if there all 95w or so it says? Whats the best GHz I can do with this computer?

I would post a link to what I think is the best choice, but without knowing compatibility of the BIOS, I'm not gonna do that. I just don't feel safe recommending something that I'm not absolutely certain will work.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 1:38:02 AM

^ Even if that's it, the BIOS would be different for OEM reasons. BUT, maybe the CPU support is close to the same, at least.
Score
June 15, 2012 1:42:46 AM

well is there any way of seeing what my mobo really is? anything i could check it with or any pictures i could take to help better?
Score
June 15, 2012 1:48:02 AM

Yep i just looked at it and that's my mobo right there
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 1:48:45 AM

spitball91 said:
well is there any way of seeing what my mobo really is? anything i could check it with or any pictures i could take to help better?

I think the one that clutchc linked from eBay is it, and if the CPU support is the same as the retail version, then you can just look at the support list link he gave too. I'm just paranoid that the support is different between them, lol because certain CPU's on the retail version require BIOS updates that you can't use on your board.
Score
June 15, 2012 1:51:51 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I think the one that clutchc linked from eBay is it, and if the CPU support is the same as the retail version, then you can just look at the support list link he gave too. I'm just paranoid that the support is different between them, lol because certain CPU's on the retail version require BIOS updates that you can't use on your board.

Well is there anyway to fully see what will work with it? If this is my mobo then what kind of processor can i get i would prefer one with the oil or whatever on it so i don't have to
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 2:08:19 AM

I need to make it clear that I'm purely guessing that the PII X4 955 will work because it works with the earliest BIOS revision on the retail board, but hopefully it should work.

Another Edit, lol: The retail version CAN accept 125W CPU's I just noticed, so I'm kind of at a cross roads on what to recaommend now.
Score
June 15, 2012 2:15:09 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I need to make it clear that I'm purely guessing that the PII X4 955 will work because it works with the earliest BIOS revision on the retail board, but hopefully it should work.

Another Edit, lol: The retail version CAN accept 125W CPU's I just noticed, so I'm kind of at a cross roads on what to recaommend now.

haha calm down man is there anyway i can re a sure you that what you get me is right and safe like i have been asking any programs or anything?
Score
a c 390 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 2:16:02 AM

+1^
I agree with DJDeCiBeL. I don't think you can go wrong with that 95W version of the PhIIX4 955. But like he said, updating the bios if it ever comes to that would be taking a chance. Some proprietary BIOSs don't play nice with std BIOSs. What processor have you got now? I'm losing track of where we are.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 2:20:27 AM

spitball91 said:
haha calm down man is there anyway i can re a sure you that what you get me is right and safe like i have been asking any programs or anything?

Honestly, the best way to be absolutely certain is to give a call to Asus. It would be SO much easier if they would just list the CPU support for that system on the product page somewhere.
Score
June 15, 2012 2:21:10 AM

Haha yeah me to man but right now i have a AMD Athlon II x2 220 at 2.8 GHz O/C running 3150 MHz pretty much 3.15
Score
a c 390 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 2:30:57 AM

spitball91 said:
Haha yeah me to man but right now i have a AMD Athlon II x2 220 at 2.8 GHz O/C running 3150 MHz pretty much 3.15

Then the 955 upgrade would be worth it. 4 cores, higher freq, L3 cache, and the capability to O/C easily. All you need is a card.
Score
June 15, 2012 2:41:59 AM

What do you mean card? How high can i overclock that CPU and will i need to get a new fan for it and another thing do i need to get another fan just for air and such because the only fan in this bad boy is the one on the processor lol
Score
a c 390 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 3:00:19 AM

spitball91 said:
What do you mean card? How high can i overclock that CPU and will i need to get a new fan for it and another thing do i need to get another fan just for air and such because the only fan in this bad boy is the one on the processor lol

Card = graphics card.
Most folks can get up to 4.0GHZ. Without any voltage increase, maybe 3.8GHZ. Your mileage may vary.
yes, you need a HS/F (cooler). The one from your Athlon II is insufficient; it would end up toasting your PhenomII. If you want to keep costs down, get this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G392ZI/ref=oh_deta...
Easy install on an AM3+/AM3 socket. I have it on my latest budget build 965 that I'm on now. Here's the web page if you want to get the specs: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=4.%3F
Score
June 15, 2012 3:06:00 AM

clutchc said:
Card = graphics card.
Most folks can get up to 4.0GHZ. Without any voltage increase, maybe 3.8GHZ. Your mileage may vary.
yes, you need a HS/F (cooler). The one from your Athlon II is insufficient; it would end up toasting your PhenomII. If you want to keep costs down, get this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G392ZI/ref=oh_deta...
Easy install on an AM3+/AM3 socket. I have it on my latest budget build 965 that I'm on now. Here's the web page if you want to get the specs: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=4.%3F

I have my card I think I'm getting not the best in the world my any means but it's all i need for now till i get more money and am able to get one better and it's a PowerColor ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB DDR5 and will this power supply work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... with all my stuff?
Score
a c 390 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 3:18:26 AM

It'll work as long as you don't go much more than the HD 6770. Be aware of the +12v rails' amp rating. Their combined amperage is the most important. And the wattage too. The HD 6770 draws about 9 amps at max load. Here's a calculator to get a good idea of the size you need based on what all is drawing power in the system.
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Score
a c 390 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 3:45:00 AM

Correction: I forgot we were talking the non-Black Edition 955. The 95W version. I can't remember if it has an unlocked multiplier or not. If not, it won't be as easy to O/C as the BE.
Score
June 15, 2012 4:00:40 AM

well the one I'm getting is the black edition right?
Score
June 15, 2012 4:04:26 AM

Well can i get one in black?
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 4:11:45 AM

spitball91 said:
Well can i get one in black?

:lol:  Sounds like you're talking about a dress... Anyway, they exist, but they will be harder to find, first off, and second, it's 125W (like all BE CPU's are), so, since we're not sure that the board you have can handle 125W CPU's, it's best to stick with the non-BE.
Score
June 15, 2012 4:13:09 AM

HAHA well that sucks but can i unlock the one you sent me before?
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 4:27:14 AM

The 965 I linked is unlocked, yes, but once again, it's 125W.

I'm telling you, just call up Asus to see what the CPU support is for that board. I might be worrying about this for nothing, but I just hate to tell you "OK, I KNOW a 125W chip will work", when I'm so unsure. Just don't want you wasting your money on an incompatible CPU.
Score
June 15, 2012 4:30:49 AM

Okay okay you got me I'll call but what do I ask? Never mind ill just ask what the support is lol hold on I'll update to let you know what i find
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 4:32:42 AM

Just asks what CPU upgrades are possible with that system. It may or may not take some prodding, but they should tell you.
Score
June 15, 2012 4:36:05 AM

System Products Support: All-in-One, Desktop, Netbook, Notebook, Nettop, or Tablet

Component Products Support: Display, Graphics Card, Motherboard, Multimedia, Networking, Optical Storage, or Server

Which of those would i call because the first one is 24 hours 7 days a week and the other is only 530 am to 9pm
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 4:40:34 AM

The System Products Support, since it's a whole system. The Component Products Support is only for retail Displays, GPU's etc., not the components inside an OEM system, I would imagine. I could be wrong on that, but it makes sense that that would be the case.
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 4:51:04 AM

If you haven't already called, the better question might be to ask if 125W CPU's are compatible.
Score
June 15, 2012 4:52:59 AM

Still on hold :D  but yeah ill ask if they answer
Score
June 15, 2012 4:58:39 AM

i just sat there for 15 minutes just to hear some one say they don't know they said they don't support upgrades so i would have to check it independently they can't help with anything to do with that stuff so what next? I asked if they could give me anything to find out they just said do it your self, so what now?
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 5:01:38 AM

Well damn. Well, as I see it, you have two options: Go the safe route and get a 95W CPU, or take a chance and get a 125W CPU. I'm fairly confident the 965 I linked should work without a BIOS update if the board supports 125W CPU's.
Score
June 15, 2012 5:16:35 AM

Well ofter further searching and looking under lost pages lol i found it :)  looks like clutchc was right my mobo is http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A78LTM/#spec... and it does support 125w but i think the question your asking is if my bios needs to be updated but does this answer it? Thanks to this page I don't know if this helps but it talks about my bios in here if this helps any? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/306073-30-m4a78lt-boa...
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
June 15, 2012 5:17:02 AM

Nah, I looked at that much earlier (before I even made my first reply to this thread, actually). That's why we're so unsure about CPU support because it doesn't have that listed ANYWHERE (or anywhere else on the net that I can find).

Edit: That's for the retail board and that BIOS wouldn't work for your OEM board.
Score
June 15, 2012 5:20:14 AM

Well I have a Retail pc if you were wondering I don't know if that means anything i bought it from Best buy about a year ago haha is this what you mean by retail?
Score
!