Status
Not open for further replies.

spitball91

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I was wondering if I decided to get a new processor if I would have to completely take my mobo out of the case and everything to change it and if it is even possible with my computer here is my computer http://www.cowboom.com/product/859439 and what do I need to get it done? what is the best i could go for without so to speak braking the bank :) I was planning on getting a new graphics card which I know I'm going to need a power supply I already have that stuff. I was just wondering is it worth it, can I do it without taking on my mother board just pretty much all the details I guess, any help is much appreciated Thank you.

Solution

Yeah, I'd say you're safe to go with the 965 BE, for sure. I still don't quite understand a retail BIOS working on an OEM board, but you may not need to update the BIOS for the 965 anyway.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It will be easier with the board out of the case. But it can be done with the board installed. I can't tell how big the case is or what the inside looks like, but if it is a std mATX it shouldn't be too hard. If you can post a pic of the case with the side off, that would help. Or link us to where you uploaded the pic(s).

Basically, you need to unplug the HS/F from the motherboard's CPU FAN header, unlock the lever on the HS/F and with a bit of a twist, remove it. Lift the lever on the side of the socket all the way and lift out the processor by the edges. Never touch the pins side with your fingers. Be sure you have a soft safe place to store the processor so the tiny pins don't get bent. Replace with the new processor in the reverse procedure. If you use the factory HS/F, it will already have thermal grease applied ready to install.

You can upgrade to a Phenom II X4 or X6, but it would be helpful to know which motherboard you have so we can determine if you can use a 125W CPU or need to stay with 95W CPU. Is this a gaming upgrade or for another purpose?

I ran into the same problem earlier when I saw this thread. No CPU support info anywhere for that system and no way to know exactly WHICH mobo is in it to check that way.

spitball91

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
IT DOES!!!!! I have actually been using them today for the first time and I overclocked my processor from 2.8 to 3.1 I was hoping at least 3.2 but I think it's gonna run a little to warm for my taste so with that being said is it still worth the upgrade since i get this much power? http://tinypic.com/r/1fvclk/6 there you go I think this should help in my mobo crisis :D if not let me know

spitball91

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Some thing I'm noticing is for some reason I'm not sure why with this overclock my CPU is running colder then before why is that? my Mother board is running the same be CPU is colder I don't understand?

spitball91

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Well if a 95W AM3 the best I can do then that's the processor I have to go with it's the best? Could you send me a link to one? This is for gaming by the way and looking at them on newegg I'm seeing lots of them triple-core, quad-core even six core but what is best for me? Am I going to have to get a power supply and what kind? if there all 95w or so it says? Whats the best GHz I can do with this computer?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Has your HS/F speed increased due to the O/C? Might be pushing more air across the cooler. ???

I would post a link to what I think is the best choice, but without knowing compatibility of the BIOS, I'm not gonna do that. I just don't feel safe recommending something that I'm not absolutely certain will work.

I think the one that clutchc linked from eBay is it, and if the CPU support is the same as the retail version, then you can just look at the support list link he gave too. I'm just paranoid that the support is different between them, lol because certain CPU's on the retail version require BIOS updates that you can't use on your board.

spitball91

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Well is there anyway to fully see what will work with it? If this is my mobo then what kind of processor can i get i would prefer one with the oil or whatever on it so i don't have to

I need to make it clear that I'm purely guessing that the PII X4 955 will work because it works with the earliest BIOS revision on the retail board, but hopefully it should work.

Another Edit, lol: The retail version CAN accept 125W CPU's I just noticed, so I'm kind of at a cross roads on what to recaommend now.

spitball91

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

haha calm down man is there anyway i can re a sure you that what you get me is right and safe like i have been asking any programs or anything?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
I agree with DJDeCiBeL. I don't think you can go wrong with that 95W version of the PhIIX4 955. But like he said, updating the bios if it ever comes to that would be taking a chance. Some proprietary BIOSs don't play nice with std BIOSs. What processor have you got now? I'm losing track of where we are.

Honestly, the best way to be absolutely certain is to give a call to Asus. It would be SO much easier if they would just list the CPU support for that system on the product page somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.