February 28, 2012 1:00:24 AM

Hello,
I am currently in the process of building a computer. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 90GB SATA III

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB DDR3 1600

Would it be better to install windows 7 OS on the SSD or take advantage of SRT with HDD caching?

More about : install windows srt ssd

Best solution

February 28, 2012 1:27:10 AM

Install Windows on the SSD. Don't use SRT caching. Intel SRT caching maximum size is 64gb so you'd be wasting some of your SSD's space by caching. Install Windows on your SSD. Use any additional space on your SSD (leave some free room though) for some app(s) that you use a lot.
February 28, 2012 1:39:13 AM

So it would be best to just install OS on the SSD and use the HDD for storage space, therefore freeing up the remaining 65GB on the SSD.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2012 1:39:37 AM

larkspur said:
Install Windows on the SSD. Don't use SRT caching. Intel SRT caching maximum size is 64gb so you'd be wasting some of your SSD's space by caching. Install Windows on your SSD. Use any additional space on your SSD (leave some free room though) for some app(s) that you use a lot.
+1 he basically said it all. You've got a 90 gig drive; please use all of it and don't waste it on SRT. If you ever wanted to use SRT, you could get an SSD like the Intel 313 series which are designed for caching. If you want to learn more than check out this link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-driv...
m
l
March 22, 2012 2:27:39 PM

Update: Also have a GTX 560Ti Super-clocked and an OCZ ZT Series fully modular PSU

And with using the SSD for a system drive, would it be beneficial to use a program to transfer the programs from the old computer to the new build a software program or windows easy transfer
m
l
March 22, 2012 2:59:50 PM

For clarification - caching with a SSD improves read speeds, but not write speeds. If you use the SSD as a regular drive (C:)  you get the benefits of the SSD's read and write speeds.

I guess I would use Windows' built in stuff. Personally I just reinstall everything so it's all fresh, but if you need to recover programs I don't know how to go about doing that.
m
l
April 4, 2012 2:49:39 AM

Best answer selected by chosenbydesign7.
m
l
!