Confusing problem - System wont boot using DVI

dpa1991

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I just built this computer, what was my $400 budget-gaming pc turned into a $800 gaming pc.

Specs:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23504747
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

I have everything in the two links up there ^

Now this is very confusing and hard to explain, so Im going to try my best.

It worked for the first 3 boots on DVI and after doing all the updates/validating my windows it stopped booting. It would POST successfully and I just assumed it didnt boot, I don't have speakers so I never heard any windows startup music. Then one time I had my headphones on and noticed windows loaded, but it didnt display anything on screen. So I grabbed my brothers monitor and bam, it booted up perfectly using DVI on his monitor, then after I boot with his monitor using DVI I can switch to mine using DVI and it works fine, but if I start with my monitor on DVI I cant use DVI it how ever works with VGA.

Now I plugged my monitor into my brothers computer using DVI and it will work on his computer booting on DVI. The monitor appears to work fine, but I just cant boot with my monitor using DVI. What can I do to fix this? I've tried deleting the driver for my monitor in device manager but that didnt work.

Solution
Well, the one farthest away from the CPU would have done better for airflow, thats right. I wouldn't have guessed it would have caused you not to be able to use DVI, but I probably still should have asked for pictures which would have let us arrive at that conclusion sooner.

It seems like the times I ask for it, it doesn't help and when I don't ask for it then it does. My luck I guess.

Infikiran

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
For whatever reason it seems to see your monitor as a secondary display rather than a primary. Since your brother's monitor seems to work with it, try using it to boot into windows. Then load the Nvidia control panel. Go to display management and set it to auto-detect. That way when windows boots it will automatically look for monitors in all available ports. If for some reason that doesn't work or that option isn't available, go to the Nvidia website and download the latest driver and install it.

The above mentioned should fix your problem. If not then I'm stumped.

dpa1991

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I have the latest driver already, I will try that as soon as I can ATM Im not home, but I'm open to anyone else who has ideas and I will try them all as soon as I can.

You are shooting yourself in the foot by bumping the post over and over again.

If you had let your post sit there with 0 responses, someone who goes through looking for unanswered posts to reply to would have picked up on it sooner.

Indeed, I came in here just interested to see the discussion back about the subject.

Little did I know I would come into a 9 response thread with only 1 actual response.

Anyway, just letting you know in case you decide to make another thread in the future.

For now, I can try to assist with addressing this.

If you are still around, that is.

Anyway, I will start this off by trying to summarize everything you have said in order to make sure we are on the same page.

As I understand them, these are some of the statements you have made:

1) If you plug in your monitor with DVI into your computer, the monitor doesn't wake up when you turn on the computer.
2) If you plug in your monitor with VGA into your computer, the monitor does wake up when you turn on the computer.
3) If you plug in your monitor with DVI into the brother's computer, the monitor does wake up when you turn on the computer.
4) If you plug in the brother's monitor in your computer with DVI, the monitor does wake up when you turn on the computer.
5) It used to work when you did #1, but it doesn't now.

If any of those statements are not true, please correct me.

Also, are you free to borrow things from the brother's computer?

If so, I would like to know what his video card is and to know what happens when you do the following things in order:

1) Boot into Windows using his monitor or whatever.
2) Uninstall your video card in the device manager.
3) Shut down the PC.
4) Take your video card out
5) Put his video card in your computer instead.
6) Plug your monitor into your (new) DVI from his card
7) Turn the computer on.

dpa1991

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
all 5 statements are correct, and I didn't know that about the bumping thing -- Im new here. I just responded everytime I got an email asking me if I found a solution/pick an answer.

I will try your solution when I can, Im currently at grandparents as grandpa is in hospital again and I can't access my computer.

also something Im not sure I mentioned, my brothers computer is my old computer and the video card I have now in my current computer I had in his computer using my monitor on DVI which worked fine

His video card is a 9600 gso mine is a gtx 550 ti asus

I am on your time. I just look through the most recent topics and look for blue flags showing a more recent post to a thread I posted in. Whenever you get around to doing this stuff and updating the thread, I will see it.

That being said, its better if you try to let me have the "last word" if the onus is on you to attempt something and then make a new post after that thing is done. If you post after me and then edit your last post with the results of the test, I won't get a blue flag and won't ever know there was an update (I am pretty sure about this).

So just make a new post whenever you get around to trying the stuff and everything will be golden. I am here pretty much every day so if it takes a week or a month for you to get back to me I probably still won't miss it.

You didn't mention that other stuff you weren't sure about, but it is helpful in assisting you. I will factor that in once you are done doing that stuff I asked.

dpa1991

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Ok I booted into windows on my monitor using VGA, uninstalled the video driver powered down, put his card in my system tried to boot up into windows using his card on DVI and same thing - no source signal. So I tried VGA on his card, it worked. Installed driver, powered down and tried to use his card my monitor on dvi - no source signal.

To sum it up, his card acts the same as my card in my system.

When you use these cards in his computer, the one that works with DVI, is it with the exact same DVI cable?

Basically, is it so that it always works with cable A and never works with cable B?

If so, would you mind trying to switch both of those cables and see if you get the same results for both computers that you are getting now.

The problem sounds kinda weird and I would just like to rule out a physically flawed cable at this point if I can.

dpa1991

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I've had both cards in his system and Ive tried it with both cables, each cable works fine on his system. But once the cards go in my system, it wont work with either cable

dpa1991

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Yeah, but the strange thing is my monitor will run on his system using both cards using DVI.

And SOMETIMES I can put my brothers monitor on mine and get it started with his on DVI, and switch to my monitor on DVI and it works fine. But it only works sometimes.

So either monitor will work with either cable on either computer, but just one particular setup won't work on one particular computer.

Plug it into the one that works and try to look through the settings internal to the monitor itself. Look for a default resolution or something like that and try changing it to different values.

See if that does anything.

I seem to vaguely remember coming across a similar problem once. Like a certain motherboard wants to use some default screen size prior to the time that the OS is loaded and it is very inflexible about that.

Did you by any chance update the motherboard BIOS after the 3rd update, the one where it stopped working immediately after that?

dpa1991

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
My board came stock with bios f2, and Ive had this problem since I put the pc together, I just didnt notice it at first because before I updated my GPU driver it would either work, or not work. After my GPU driver updated it wouldnt work on DVI at all. I updated my bios to f7 and nothing changed, same results.

I also tried removing my GPU driver and couldnt repeat the results, still no DVI signal for my monitor.

Also I had a friend try to help me via teamviewer, and he changed the bios/os loading resolution to 800x600 I think, not sure what he did. I just noticed now on boot the bios/os loading screen is slightly smaller

dpa1991

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I was looking at my motherboard and noticed that the slot I put my card in was x8, I chose this slot because it was farther away from my CPU and figured it was better for cooling/airflow issues. The slot under the CPU is x16 which I moved the card to

Now when I turn on my computer using DVI on my monitor it loads the motherboards image then bios information then "loading Operating system" after that, it goes to "no source signal" and plays the windows start up sound.

I can get in safe mode using Bios but I dont seem to have nvidia control panel in safe mode

Edit:

I deleted the driver in safe mode, restarted computer and it loaded the OS properly but at a small resolution and a bit laggy.

after a minute or two (usually takes 30-45 seconds to boot and have everything run smooth) it said it installed the driver for my video card and required a boot, now here I am on DVI 1600x900 on my monitor.

As of right now, it seems I managed to fix the problem that's been troubling me for months.