Sign in with
Your question

Help Me! :-(

Last response: in Components
June 15, 2012 2:09:00 AM

Hi guys,

I recently installed a 64G SSD and a 128G SSD about a month ago. The problem started like a week ago, when i turn my pc ON, after the BIOS it will just die (like the power just cut off) and restarts again. It will happen so many time before i can log in to WIN7. Then most of the time, my 64G SSD will just disappear. My OS is installed on my 128G SSD. But i still have important files/programs on my 64G SSD. I'm thinking about the PSU that is failing. I currently have an 850W PSU, 2 SSD's, 1 TB HD, 1 640G HD, 2 Optical Drives, a GIGABYTE UD5-x58 MB, i7 930 CPU, 2 1G 6800's Video Card (xFired). Right now, my 64G SSD is missing.

More about : question

a c 157 ) Power supply
June 15, 2012 2:20:45 AM

Unplug every drive except the boot drive and see if you can boot normally.
m
l
June 15, 2012 2:56:10 AM

clutchc said:
Unplug every drive except the boot drive and see if you can boot normally.

Finished doing that. It booted normally.
m
l
Related resources
a c 157 ) Power supply
June 15, 2012 3:01:35 AM

plug in all but the other SSD. See if it boots normally.
m
l
June 15, 2012 11:26:29 PM

it actually only booted normally once, then i restarted it again and it says bootable something is missing...i also have a windows update that after i update the pc, i have to restart it, then the problem will start over again, then windows repair will restore it again before the update and it will boot normally..but then, the updates wer gone again...the 64G SSD is gone now..it doesnt appear anymore...
m
l
June 16, 2012 12:11:21 AM

Is it possible that the problem lies with the update? And the missing SSD is corrupted?
m
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 12:31:32 AM

Man, there are so many possibilities. It bothers me that the 2nd SSD is always missing. Are the SSDs connected to the SATA III headers? If so, the Marvel or the south bridge headers? And is the 2nd SSD strictly a data drive?
m
l
June 16, 2012 1:06:37 AM

Yes. It is connected to SATA III headers. And now, the start up repair doesn't even know what's the cause of the problem. It just says "cannot repair". And just offers to shut down the computer. I'm so irritated now and wants to just bring this to the shop. Grrrrr!
m
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 1:18:05 AM

Do you have another PC that you can connect the data SSD to and see if it will read?
m
l
June 16, 2012 1:30:16 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have.
m
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 1:34:42 AM

Hard to troubleshoot from afar. But is the PC still shutting off on its own with the data SSD disconnected?
m
l
June 16, 2012 3:38:30 AM

Yes. Sorry for the late reply. It doesn't even let me log in on safe mode.
m
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
June 16, 2012 4:14:13 PM

I'm wondering if a clean Win7 install is in order. You can keep the data on the 64GB SSD. Just don't install it when you do the fresh installation. Once everything is working again, you can add the 64GB SSD as a data drive. In so doing, you may even find the problem is a board defect.

Are you up for that? If so, I have an excellent tutorial I can pass on for proper O/S installation with a SSD. There's a few SSD/Operating System pitfalls that can be avoided with the tutorial.
m
l
June 16, 2012 11:43:26 PM

clutchc said:
I'm wondering if a clean Win7 install is in order. You can keep the data on the 64GB SSD. Just don't install it when you do the fresh installation. Once everything is working again, you can add the 64GB SSD as a data drive. In so doing, you may even find the problem is a board defect.

Are you up for that? If so, I have an excellent tutorial I can pass on for proper O/S installation with a SSD. There's a few SSD/Operating System pitfalls that can be avoided with the tutorial.

i just did a clean install with win7..so far so good, but everytime i do the updates, the problem starts over again w/o me adding the other SSD..
m
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
June 17, 2012 2:04:41 AM

I'm beginning to suspect the PSU. Possibly the board itself, but the PSU would be my first choice. However...

Try this first. Forget for the time being connecting the boot drive (SSD) to the Marvel SATA3 headers. Instead, connect the SSD to the normal SATA2 headers from the Intel south bridge. Be sure to always select ACHI instead of IDE in bios before you do another Win7 install. See if the problem still exists. That would determine if it is the Marvel chip causing the problem or not.
m
l
June 17, 2012 3:58:00 AM

finished doing that and it booted normally until the windows update when it restarted, it happened again...i checked the web about the june 2012 update and most people makes their computer crashes after that or they get into a reboot loop like what i had...so right now, i did not update my windows and so far so good, did like 10 restarts and it booted nicely...but still the 64G SSD is missing..i believe its from a bad batch..im currently on ACHI, and i was using IDE before..
m
l
a c 157 ) Power supply
June 17, 2012 4:15:59 AM

Are you connected to SATA 2 or SATA 3 with the 2 SSDs?
m
l
!