Cpu running at 62 degrees celcius!

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I changed my hyper 212 evo fan with the noctua nf-f12 pwm fan. I put it in a push configuration where the side with the white bars are facing against the heatsink, and the fan side is facing away from the fan. Idk why it's this hot. fan running at 1483 rpm.

Speedfan says the cpu is 48 degrees and the other 4 cores are around 58-62 degrees celcius. Is this terrible? My cpu is overclocked to 4.0 Ghz.

~please help, thanks.

Is this under load, or idle? Which CPU do you have? Is it Intel or AMD? 62 is a quite safe load temperature for a current Intel CPU, their maximum sustained operating temperature spec is 72 celsius. If it is an AMD CPU then you are quite close to its maximum sustained operating temperature spec which is 62 degrees celsius.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Maybe your cooler is not making good enough contact with the CPU plate. Take your computer and place it on its side so that gravity can pull your heavy cooler down. See if temperatures change. If they change a lot, remount the HSF...properly.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Sorry forgot about the cpu. My cpu is a i5 2500k, overclocked to 4.0 Ghz. THIS is the LOAD temperature when playing the game bioshock 2. I did turn the heatsink a lot, the heatsink can be turned clockwise or anti-clockwise a bit, I did move it a bit when installing my new fan. Is it necessary to apply the thermal paste again?

I used to have 28 degrees celcius idle temp, now I have 38........

Again, load temp is 58-62.

This is weird. I change my cpu fan's speed from 750 rpm to 1159 rpm and the cpu temp makes only 1 degree diffence....... This is on idle.

That temp is safe for the 2500k, though perhaps a bit high for that cooler at your current clockspeed. The cooler shouldn't be loose though, so make sure that it is tightly fastened.

I think you will be okay with your current application of thermal paste, provided you just tighten the cooler, rather than remove it. If you have to remove the cooler to get it fastened properly, you might as well redo the thermal paste.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
This heatsink wasn't like this with its original fan. I need to hear from other hyper 212 evo owners and also if you have this fan on that heatsink.

Crappy thing is, this heat problem made my gpu 7 degrees hotter too. something weird is going on.

Hmm, are you sure that your new fan is blowing air onto the heatsink, and not away from it? Check that blades and make sure they are oriented in the right direction. Aside from that, maybe put the original fan back on and see what happens, it could be that you have a defective fan that isn't actually spinning as fast as it should be.

Edit: amuffin does raise a good point, what is your room temperature. If it's like 30 celsius, then your temps will be higher than normal. When people discuss temps with a particular cooler, the cooler is always tested in a room at 20 degrees celsius. Higher ambient temperatures will affect your results. In any case, your temps are safe for the moment, so it isn't a huge concern.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

set this new fan at 1100 rpm, still no temp change. the same 38 degrees celcius on idle. I looked at the arrow on the fan, assuming it means that's where air is being blown. I set it that way for a push config on my heatsink.

My older fan during the day when outside temps are 98 degrees fahrenheit, would give me stable temps. Right now room temp is cooler, and cpu is 10 degrees celcius hotter.

My pc case is the HAF 922 and all case fans set on low settings, like before. With the old fan, I always had cool temps, now I have hot temps with this new fan.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
This is unbelievable! Whether the cpu fan is 750 rpm or 1500 rpm, the cpu temp does not change............ I even looked at the cpu fan to see if it looks like it speeds up or down, and it's obvious that the fan is louder and works faster. Fan seems to be fine, idk what's going on. Maybe when I moved the heatsink, I moved it out of its original place and a bit got on top of the cpu casing on the motherboard, and moved a bit away from the cpu itself. I have to check this out tomorrow and do tests with the old fan in the morning.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
this is the fan:http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-F12-PWM-Focused-Bearing/dp/B00632FL8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339745144&sr=8-1&keywords=nf-f12

I put the fan side away from heatsink and the other side against the heatsink.

mazchazo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Did some tests. I used the old fan, temps only dropped by like 3-5 degrees celcius, not a huge difference. I even used max 2000 rpm on the fan and still no temp change. I put my case on its side and there was no temp change. I put my noctua fan back, since the temp change was slim. Is there a chance I ruined the thermal paste and need to re-apply it? Please note that all case fans are on the lowest setting. Case is haf 922.